It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
(female)

blazario HB User
Unhappy Vulva burning and itching

I have just gotten over a yeast infection that took 3 doses of Terazol to knock out. Although some of the burning and itching has subsided I am still suffering from it. My doctor has retested me for yeast twice, std's, bacterial infections and everything else under the sun. I've even tried a steriod cream. Nothing seems to help the leftover burn and itch I even have slight burn in my anus (which was there during the initial yeast infection). I'm going nuts. Any ideas what this could be and why it won't go away?

Old 07-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Vulva burning and itching

It could be you are still irritated from the infection, then terazol, or both. Steroids might not be the best way to deal with it.

Wear skirts or very loose pants, and sleep without underwear if possible. Don't put anything on your vulva, including soap. Try taking a lukewarm bath with a little baking soda. If the irritation doesn't subside within, say, a week, go back to the doctor.

And if you get a yeast infection again, insist on an oral treatment such as Diflucan. Many women do fine with the creams, but some are sensitive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
(female)

maggiecttr HB User

When sometrhing similar happened to me a couple years ago, it turned out I had a non-Albicans form of Candida. Even Gynazole didn't help, and Diflucan is not effective against species like Candida Glabrata & Candida Tropicalis. The only things that helped me were tea tree oil suppositories (I used 1/2 of one per day for a week or so---they are available online and at some health food stores), followed by 10 nights of boric acid suppositories. These can be made up at a compounding pharmacy , purchased online, or made yourself using boric acid & empty geletin capsules. I was afraid to use the latter, since I was so burny already, but believe it or not, it feels soothing. Wear a pantyliner with both treatment types...the boric acid leaks out the next day. I put a smidgen of vaseline on the lower entrance to the vagina to protect that skin from the acidic secretions. Take Femdophilis (online availability) to restore your good vaginal bacteria.

Hugs,
Maggie C.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I went through some crazy stuff like this a few years back. I thought I would never get over it. It can just hang on. Finally my doctor said I had just over medicated everything down there. The doctor actually told me to eat yogurt and actually buy some plain yogurt and insert it into the vagina. It's like your flora is completely off in there. It's a vicious cycle to correct. Try not to eat things that create yeast and maybe give this a try. I finally got myself straigtened out and have been smooth sailing ever since. Good luck and hang in there!

Old 07-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
(female)

alexis1234 HB User

Going through this now. My doc found out I have glabrata...taking a month of diflucan to start. At week 3, it is just beginning to help now. My gyn said it will take a while to clear. Have you done a culture to see what type of yeast you have? That might be the first step.

Alexis

Old 07-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

pinkpixies HB User

Sometimes it just takes the body a while to correct the PH balance. The creams tend to irritate my skin down there and make me sore even though after finishing it, there is no infection. Same with Metrogel. My skin is just really sensitive.

EDIT TO ADD: I find running cool water over the area with my shower head helps reduce the burning a bit. And it can help remove any left over residue from the cream.

Last edited by pinkpixies; 07-14-2008 at 10:18 PM.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:45 PM   #7
(female)

Zimbo HB User

Hi everyone. My first time joining any kind of chat and had to be this one and on this topic!! But desperation has brought me here. I have also had intense itching and burning. Last week I had my husband drive me to the sexual health clinic for a check up as I was in so much pain. He has been very good about it (we have been married 10 years) but I insisted that we go. I did take antibiotics about 2 months ago for helicobacter pylori and I thought that I had thrush after taking the antibiotics (I took about 3 courses of thrush medicine but this did not help - if anything the creams made me sting and itch more). I have had thrush before (with 2 of my pregnancies) but this time I have no thrush discharge but have a burning itching sensation, both on the inside of my vagina lips (non hair bearing area) and deep inside - feels like it is on my cervix. The sexual health centre did some swabs and tested me for "all" std's - I don't know what exactly. The results came back negative. The nurse said my vagina did not look as sore as I was making out - trust me it is painful to the point that I have to sometimes go to the loo and wipe myself vigorously to relieve the stinging itch (this actually works for about a few seconds before it becomes an acutal throbbing pain). It looks like I don't have thrush, or any other std but what can it be? I have not changed soap or anything. Sex is impossible - my poor husband - but I can't even stand it right now. This has been going on for more than 6 weeks and I am beginning my second period with this problem still going on. Should I go and see the doctor now? Sometimes I feel there is no point and I also get very weepy when I need to explain what is going on?? How can I get a grip?

Old 07-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Do not use any more thrush creams for now, it doesn't sound to me like you have thrush and the creams can cause irritation.

Continue to pursue medical care, see a gynecologist, insist that it be addressed. It's easier to treat the irritation now than later. Try a lukewarm bath to ease the itching, maybe some allergy medicine. Could be vulvar vestibulitis, though some doctors don't diagnose that unless it goes on for more that a few weeks.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #9
(female)

Zimbo HB User

Hi, Thanks for your reply, at least I know someone out there is listening (reading). I will google vulvar vestibulitis to see what it means. I guess I will have to go to the doctor, I just need to get over myself a bit. I do find that plain yoghurt soothes and cools it, but it so messy and it makes me smell like stale yoghurt (which is what it is after a few mins lol). Thanks!

Old 11-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #10
(female)

stacy918 HB User

What ever happened to everyone with the vulvar burning? Those of you who had yeast, how did you resolve it?

Old 11-07-2008, 10:41 PM   #11
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

I'm going through burning and itching now working up to three months. Culture was supposedly negative and I am suffering with no end in sight. Period came now and the burning and itching has gotten very bad, I put A and D on it and it isn't helping at all.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #12
(female)

stacy918 HB User

I know. Mine never cultures either! Try tea tree oil douches or a couple drops of tea tree oil on a tampon. See if that helps.
What preceded this for you?

Old 03-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #13
(female)

SweetPea143 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiecttr View Post
When sometrhing similar happened to me a couple years ago, it turned out I had a non-Albicans form of Candida. Even Gynazole didn't help, and Diflucan is not effective against species like Candida Glabrata & Candida Tropicalis. The only things that helped me were tea tree oil suppositories (I used 1/2 of one per day for a week or so---they are available online and at some health food stores), followed by 10 nights of boric acid suppositories. These can be made up at a compounding pharmacy , purchased online, or made yourself using boric acid & empty geletin capsules. I was afraid to use the latter, since I was so burny already, but believe it or not, it feels soothing. Wear a pantyliner with both treatment types...the boric acid leaks out the next day. I put a smidgen of vaseline on the lower entrance to the vagina to protect that skin from the acidic secretions. Take Femdophilis (online availability) to restore your good vaginal bacteria.

Hugs,
Maggie C.

Hi Maggie C.,

I think I am suffering the same thing you went through. I've been having this awful itch and burning inside and outside of my vagina as well as around my anus too for almost 9 months! I've tried everything, been tested neg. for everything...And I really think that this is a yeast problem brcause the only thing that seemed to help was Diflucan (which I'm on again now)...I want to try the tea tree oil and boric acid....I dont think my doctor wants to perscribe the boric acid for me though because she's never heard of them...so I think I will make them myself...did you make them yourself?...Is there any specific brands that you recommend? Thank you for your story!

Closed Thread