It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
(female)

imaworrier HB User
Anal pain and vulvar/vaginal pain, could this be hemorrhoids?

I've had pain for 2 months around my anal and vulvar area. It's very odd because when it hurts worse in the anal area, it hurts worse in the vulvar area. I went to a OB/GYN nurse practitioner a month ago who tested me for trich, yeast infection and bacterial vaginosis -- all negative. She said there was a dry skin spot on my labia, but everything else looked normal. She referred me to a Dr., but it took a month to get an apt. I'm seeing the Dr. Friday, but I really don't have a whole lot of faith in Drs.

Sometimes it feels like there's swelling in the area, like I'm wearing a tampon or something when I'm not, and the pain seems to move around a bit. Even in the clitoris. But definately worse when the anal pain is bad. Sometimes when it's really bad it burns around my urethra when I urinate.

I don't know if I have bad hemorrhoids now, but I've been told once I had internal hemorrhoids. I can't figure out what could cause pain in both areas -- from the anus to the whole vulvar area. It hurts to have sex, and my anal area hurts after sex (even though it's vaginal sex). Even the skin around it hurts.

I know, TMI, but if anyone has had similar, please let me know. This is driving me crazy!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to imaworrier:
YLADY (02-27-2011)
Old 07-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Anal pain and vulvar/vaginal pain, could this be hemorrhoids?

Look up vulvodynia. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #3
(female)

imaworrier HB User

I have looked into that and have wondered if that could be my problem! I hate self-diagnosing based on internet research, and of course, the doctors hate it more. I really am wondering how much pain around the anus is involved in vulvodynia? I think that may be what my problem is though, and I don't know why. It just started out of the blue two months ago. We had gone for a few bike rides right before it started, but I'm not sure if that is the cause. If it were, wouldn't it go away? Ugh, this is horrible because I can barely "be with" my husband. I just want it to be something that can be taken care of.

So, if the doc happens to mention this could be vulvodynia, what should I ask for as far as prescription? I have irregular cycles all the time, so should I have blood work and possibly get estrogen cream? The month in which this started I had a 43 day cycle.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
(female)

imaworrier HB User

I should also mention, I have anxiety sometimes and sometimes take Ativan to help and to prevent panic attacks, not very often though.
Well, for the past couple of months I've had extreme anxiety about money issues. Is there some connection, proven or speculated, between women with anxiety and vulvodynia?

Old 07-15-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
(female)

imaworrier HB User

Sorry, one more thing, I also have been diagnosed with myofascial pain syndrome (after many trips to the doctors!!!). Usually it hits me from the upper back, up into my shoulders and neck, but I've had an actual spot on my lower spine that has been sore to the touch for the past few weeks. I'm wondering if there is a connection between myofascial pain syndrome and vulvodynia also?

Old 07-16-2008, 05:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

There is a connection between vulvodynia and other pain conditions, especially in the lower back. It's even possible that working on that spot in your lower back could help with this! There may also be a relation to stress.

What should you ask for, if you are diagnosed with this? That's a hard question, and if the person you see has a lot of experience with this, that should help. The tricyclic antidepressants like amitriptyline are very good, they change the way nerves deal with pain. Or, it may be that steroids or estrogen used in the affected area will help. Even lidocaine gel is very good, it blocks the pain entirely, and, I use it every time I have sex. Hopefully if you get treatment now instead of waiting 4 years like I did, you can be cured.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
(female)

wipcreme HB User

It may be, I also suffer from untreated anxiety attacks, and have symptoms as the ones you described in the rectal and vaginal areas. Mines also comes out the blue and the correlation I did make was that after a terrible bout of constipation it happens. So I'm not sure if straining or pushing out large hard fecal causes something from the inside to come out but yes it very uncomfortable. My case does not last as long as yours so I have not sought medical attention, but I do ask my friends about it and they have all at one point or another experienced it. I think because of the tendecy for such a problem to be embarrasing and hard to explain that more and more women suffer in silence.

Last edited by wipcreme; 07-16-2008 at 09:13 AM.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #8
(female)

cgee025 HB User

Since you have Chronic Myofascial Pain syndrome, your problem may be originating from trigger points in the pelvic area.

Last edited by Mod9; 07-25-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Please do not instruct members to do outside searches, as per the posting policy

Closed Thread