It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
(female)

kubble HB User
Unhappy Rectocele and Cystocele post op questions, no one to talk to.

Hello, well i am 40 yrs old and 6 days post op rectocele repair, cyctocele repair with sling, tubal, first i woke up in recovery with extreme pain inside my right upper thigh, increasing with any movement,probably a strain from the position i was in for over 2 hrs, that is slowly improving, stayed at hospital for 1 day with cathiter in place, came home, no bowel movement next 2 days so i stopped pain meds, only using ibuprofen and stool softeners, water and mirilax past 2 days, well last night i had the worse bm ever, large and hard, you do not know what i had to do to get it out,lots of bleeding from rectocele, now i am worried i damaged my rectocele repair, when i am sitting on the toilet i can see 1-2" on stitches, when i am lying down and examine myself i cannot see any??? today i have allot of pain in my lower abdomen, anybody had a failed rectocele repair?? any suggestions or experiences with any of these surgeries,i would love to hear about, thanks, tina

The Following User Says Thank You to kubble For This Useful Post:
coupon (07-10-2012)
Old 07-16-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
(female)

kubble HB User
Re: Rectocele and Cystocele post op questions, no one to talk to.

well, i am now 7 days post op rectocele/cyctocele/tubal, still struggeling with constipation,no bm past 2 days, tried 2 fleet glycerin suppos. with no relief. getting around allot better, but today i sneezed, felt a stinging pain in vagina, sneezed again and felt like i had a leakage accident but it was blood, feels like might be from stitch in my upper vaginal wall from cyctocele, i hope nothing bad, anyone had that happen, maybe i should call dr tomorrow???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

lala-whatsnext HB User

Kubble,
Call your doctor tomorrow and tell him/her everything. You should be examined just to make sure you didn't do any damage. Boy, what us women go through!!!!
I wished I had seen your post earlier. Maybe I could have given you advice sooner.
I would ask the doctor to prescribe Amitiza for you. I take it twice a day or I wouldn't be able to go at all. I just answered you in the other thread on the Bowel board. You can read my comment over there but answer me back here because this is where I'll check from now on.
I will write more tomorrow I am exhausted, as it is after midnight.
Lala

Old 07-17-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
(female)

kubble HB User

lala
thanks for the reply, i will call dr's this morning as soon as they open. I cannot even imagine having another surgery, i am too scared with every passing day, something just does not feel right, especially when i see my stitches bulging out of my vagina while i am in the sitting position, not visible while lying??It was like that even before my first post op bm. I have never had fissure or hemms and just cannot imagine how you are feeling, so is this going to be your 3rd surgery for rectocele?? What do you think is causing your diarrhea?
kubble

Old 07-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

lala-whatsnext HB User

my first surgery was for the rectocele, the second one was to close up where the mesh started eroding and now I am getting the third surgery in a few weeks (eeek) to do the surgery transanal....by a colorectal doctor. From the way he and his nurse talked it should have been done that way in the first place. Who knew?!?
The fissure and hemms are from constantly having bowel issues because of the rectocele. I want to put off this surgery until late fall but on the other hand I want it over with. I am sick of not being able to go with out a struggle and it p*sses me off that I am still having these issues after two surgeries. oh yeah, I take a medication called Amitiza to make me go poop, its the only thing that works, but it gives me diarrhea. I've been taking it for two years! No wonder I have problems.
It might be normal to see the stitches while in that sitting position. When you have to poop does it put pressure on the stitches? When I felt I had a problem after my surgeries I called my doc and they always got me in and always said its better to be safe than sorry. It won't hurt to have him take a look even if everything is ok.
Let me know. If you have anymore questions,fire away.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:51 PM   #6
(female)

kubble HB User

Hi
well I called Drs today Gyn nurse told me over the counter meds for constipation work just as good? Then when I talke to Dr he stated he was not familiar with Amitiza. Told me to eat fiber one cereal for breakfast, 1 stool softener 2 X day, mirilax 1X day. Also said that only time will tell if rectocele repair is okay. Also said that swelling in vagina area is probably causing it to bulge out when i sit up,I was examined 3 days ago and he said everything looked good.

And the little sneezing episode last night did pull a stitch out, It did not feel like it was the rectocele area , the upper stitch from the bladder sling surgery, Uro Dr said it should be okay since it has been a week and offered to see me tomorrow, I have only had some light spotting and minor stinging in that area. I think it will be ok.

I am still worried since my bowels are not normal . There was some pressure with my 1 bm since surgery but bm was so large due to constipation I tink there was pressure everywhere down there, also allot of bleeding.

I sure hope your nest surgery goes well, I cant imagine recovery from transanal surgery.

Did you ever have any pain in your inner-upper thigh area, I am still limping from some kind of strin there during surgery.

How did you know the mesh was eroding?

It is nice to have someone to talk to, Tina

Old 07-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
(female)

kubble HB User

Hi
I was wondering when was the best time to take stool softeners, on empty stmach,with a meal, 1 or 2 at atime? Any info would be great, Thanks, Tina

Old 07-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
(female)

rebekaj2 HB User

Hi Tina,

I started taking the stool softeners right after my surgery. I took 2 in the morning and two at night. I take them without food. I don't think it really makes any difference. If you are like me and have problems with defication then you may want to take peri-colace with a laxitive stimulant with it as well as the stool softeners may not be enough. Thats what my doctor suggested. Another thing that I found very helpful was making sure that I drank plenty of what and ate lots of fruit.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
(female)

rebekaj2 HB User

Hello,
I had the surgery in May and it is a very long recovery. I also sneezed and had the pain/stinging and blood and problems with constipation. I took stool softeners 2x a day along with peri-colace with laxitive stimulant 2 -3 in the evening as my doctor suggested. I also made sure that I drank lots and lots of water and ate alot of fruit and Fiber one cereal daily. It has been a couple of months and I still have problems in this area.
Try not to do to much for the first two weeks especially. If you are active like me this one will kill you. Trust me it will save you lots of unnecessary swelling and pain. You will also want to be careful for the next month and a half as far as lifting and bending down. I wasn't and had many days with swelling and cramping.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #10
(female)

Judyl1951 HB User

Hi, I am a 57 yr old woman who had the same surgery as you. I was in the hospital for six days. It was one of the worst times of my life. My surgery was last Sept. I feel like I will never be the same. i went through a lot of pain and therapy. I still can't stand to wear underwear. It was seven weeks before my husband and I had sex. It isn't the same for me at all. I take metamuscil twice a day and I always have a bowel movement every day. I hope things are going better for you. Its really a tough thing to go through when you really don't know what to expect. Thanks for listening:

Old 07-26-2008, 06:52 AM   #11
(female)

kubble HB User

Hello,
Thank You For Your Replies, It Is Hard When You Do Not Know What To Expect, Thank You For All Your Replies. I Am Now 2 1/2 Weeks Post Op And Starting To Feel A Little Better, It Is Hard To Try To Relax Now That I Feel Better And Want To Do More. My Leg Is Still Painful Which Gets Worse As The Day Goes On Forcing Me To Lay Down And Relax. I Am Finally Getting Somewhere With The Bm's, I Take 1 Stool Softener 2 X Day, Fiberone Cereal In The Morn. And Mirilax In The Eve. I Think I Might Change To 2 Stool Softener 2 X Day Because I Am Still Not Going Regularly. I Can Say I Am Definatley Happy With The Bladder Sling Surgery, No Leaks, Not Having To Chang Undies Several Times Aday, No Odor, Its Great. The Rectocle Surgery I Am Not Sure About Yet? Thanks Again For All Your Replies, I Hope Everyone Is Doing Well, Tina

Old 07-28-2008, 08:38 PM   #12
(female)

danro HB User

Kubble:

Glad to hear things are improving somewhat for you and I'm so pleased you are taking the time to journal what you have experienced so far in regards to your procedure. It is very helpful to prospective people like myself. Sending you some healing cyber vibes your way.

Oh boy, the more I read about these surgeries, the more apprehensive I become about my impending surgeries. I'm scheduled for the works (rectocele, cystocele, TVT sling, and perineoplasty on 8/27). The unplanned vacuum birth of my last son did me in I'm afraid. I have been having what I term as spook incontinence. It sneaks up on you at the most inopportune times and then doesn't happen again for another couple of months. Needless to say, I've not used a jump rope since 02/08 out of fear I'm going to wet myself.

What worries me is that I will never be able to be active again. I'm 37 and very active, at the gym everyday active kind of person. And, the thought of not doing weight lifting and cardio during this downtime has me concerned I've taken 200 steps back as far as my fitness level. My doctor basically told me any type of ab work or any type of exercise below the belly button is prohibited while I'm healing. So much for squats, lunges and other butt building exercises I've been heavily relying on. No lifting/pushing/pulling items heavier than 10lbs. Some women have even reported their doctors saying they can never lift anything over 50 lbs for the rest of their life!!! The healing time I've read can be anywhere from 6-14 weeks, sometimes EVEN up to a year!!! I'm really concerned about sex afterwards. My husband and I have a great sex life and I'm concerned things are going to be too unpenetratable down there. The doctor assures me because I'm young things will heal much faster and all will be rosy. I'm just worried I will be limited in my activities for the next year or possibly for the rest of my life. And, ironically, I'm the queen of constipation. I have to drink warm lemon water every morning to get my bowels moving properly. So, I imagine I will be right where you are in that dept. post surgery and that scares me. OY!

At any rate, thanks for shedding light on what to experience and I hope you continue to share as it does help others like myself.

Last edited by danro; 07-28-2008 at 08:46 PM.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

lala-whatsnext HB User

I just had my third surgery because of a rectocele. This time a colorectal surgeon did it. I wished I knew that a colorectal doctor was the right doc to go to before my first surgery, which was a gyne doc.
I am in so much pain right now from the surgery I had yesterday but he is certain the problem will be gone now. The gyne doc put in a mesh that didn't help at all. It just made it painful to have a bm.
I am worried about my first bm after this surgery......eeek.
I am taking all kinds of stool softeners, should I get a towel to bite on? lol
I also had hems and a fissure because of the rectocele...so that was more repairs he did. Gosh its hurts so bad but will be worth it if I am normal after this........wouldn't that be wonderful? I've not been normal since before the birth of my second child 30 years ago. After menopause it got much worse.
keep your fngers crossed for me ladies.
lala

Old 07-31-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
(female)

LynneA416 HB User

Hi I just read your post about No One to Talk to--well, me too!
I am facing this surgery in Sept. and am very nervous about it based on the horrible results of a bad Hemi surgery. How are you now? Any advice?

Old 08-08-2008, 04:57 AM   #15
(female)

lori1218 HB User

Hi,
I have been reading alot of these post and they sure will scare anyone.....
I am 5 weeks post op rectocele surgery....the first week was not comfortable
at all. Do what the Doc sais take your stool softeners, laxative and drink your
liquids. I stopped the pain pills after 2 weeks, I felt good after the first week and ended up back at Docs office had popped a couple stitches doing too much. It was not as painful as I thought it would be, I too had read alot about it and was scared to death. If you will just do what the Doc sais when you get home rest, let someone else do what needs to be done, even if you feel good don't do it (as I did) I know it is hard not to but take it from me
it's not worth it. TAKE CARE OF YOU AND YOUR BODY NOTHING ELSE if you
do that you will be fine. I am feeling great physically and mentally I go back to work week after next I am going to ease my way back not working full days
until I am ready. You will be sore, which is to be expected but it is not as
bad as I thought it was going to be. If I can answer any questions, please don't hesitate. Just remember PUT YOURSELF FIRST and you will get thru
it fine and be happy with the outcome.

Lori

Closed Thread