It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
(female)

bon608 HB User
Boric Acid and Glabrata yeast

Does anyone know if boric acid suppositories are effective on the glabrata strain of yeast? Nothing is working for me.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User
Re: Boric Acid and Glabrata yeast

Yes at least for me the Boric acid works when nothing else does,,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
(female)

alexis1234 HB User

Hey,

I have the glabrata strain too and haven't tried the boric acid yet. But from everything that I have read it is supposed to work esp. when resistant to other things. I have read articles where it is associated with 70-95 percent cure rate.

My cousin who is a pharmacist also had recommended that I try it.

My gyn wanted me to do long term diflucan which I am doing now...and its not gone but helps a bit. Will go back in a bit to see about where we go from here.

What are your symptoms with the glabrata???

Alexis

Old 07-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
(female)

bon608 HB User

Hi Alexis,
It is a constant burn and itch that will not go away....all the creams have not worked. Not much luck with Diflucan either.

Last edited by bon608; 07-21-2008 at 12:03 PM.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:06 AM   #5
(female)

alexis1234 HB User

Hey Bon,

I have the itch and now the burn too. Not too much discharge. I also feel like pelvic pressure and inflamation/irritation. We had tried terazol and I do believe that helped but maybe I needed to take it longer. We had tried that for two weeks. The diflucan started working at around the third week, but to be honest, I am eating yogurt like a mad woman, taking probiotics, eating a lot of garlic, etc...that not sure I can attribute the slight improvement to the diflucan. And, yes, when my gyn said diflucan as a trial I was disspaointed, since I have read many glabrata are not susceptible. Hopefully the lab can pick it up again and we can figure out the next step.

I think that I had searched on this site for glabrata and there were a few entries by people who got cured of it. One from nizoral, 2 from long term diflucan.

Alexis

Old 08-27-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
(female)

alexis1234 HB User

Bon,

Did you end up trying the boric acid? How are you doing with the glabrata yeast?

Alexis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon608 View Post
Does anyone know if boric acid suppositories are effective on the glabrata strain of yeast? Nothing is working for me.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
(female)

maggiecttr HB User

Yes--it worked on mine! Oral Candex is also effective against all strains of Candida, according to the spokesperson I contacted. I use the latter for maintenance.

Hugs,
Maggie C.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:46 AM   #8
(female)

alexis1234 HB User

Hi Maggie,

Thanks for your reply! That is good to know.

I am a little worried...tested positive for it...treated with diflucan for a month. Waited 10 days and retested and it says it is negative now, but I feel like I still have the darn thing. Thing is I think the diflucan helped a bit, but didn't get rid of it all. So when I tested what was on the swab prob. wasn't enough to grow on culture. But what was left was enough to still give me symptoms. Plus for some reason the yeast culture took only like 15 days or so. The last few times I tested for the glabrata it took a month to culture.

So I am totally nervous now

I have some itching, irritation/inflammation, and a feeling like I am about to have a bladder infection but not quite and a slight discharge which is not normal for me. If you don't mind sharing, what were your symptoms?

How long did you take the boric acid...14 days, two times a day?

Thanks for the hug I do need one.

Alexis
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiecttr View Post
Yes--it worked on mine! Oral Candex is also effective against all strains of Candida, according to the spokesperson I contacted. I use the latter for maintenance.

Hugs,
Maggie C.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Where do you get this boric acid? Do they sell it at stores like Target and drug stores? I have used monistat 7 several times now and I'm on my second diflucan pill. My symptoms improve some but do not go away.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #10
(female)

Joanne123 HB User
Wink Re: Boric Acid

Hi Girls!

I too suffer from periodic recurrent yeast and BV infections. I've finally found an MD that won't just throw Diflucan at me (all the creams make the symptoms 1000X magnified). My current GYN has had me try the boric acid suppositories as maintenance. And they seem to help, though initially, it caused more irritation and a watery discharge. I'm currently suffering from a case of BV that will not seem to go away.

In the last 60 days, This current go around for the BV treatment has included:

7 Days Metronidazole orally (twice daily 500 mg)
then, still pos for BV so:
10 Days Clindamycin orally (twice daily 300 mg)
And again, still pos for BV, so:
7 days Metronidazole gel vaginally once daily
And again, still pos for BV, so:
Currently back to 10 days Metronidazole orally (twice daily 500 mg)
Currently also on boric acid inserts once daily, every 3 days.

They are not seeing yeast on my swabs at all, just BV. I'm not sexually active, but have taken penicillin twice this summer for bacterial colds/flu, and my GYN suggests the penicillin has caused the BV infection (killed the good bacteria with the bad).

This sucks!! I'm finally done taking the penicillin, and am praying this last round of Metro orally and the boric acid will do the trick. Someone suggested vinegar baths to me. Anyone have any experience with the vinegar baths? My GYN said it works temporarily to restore the acid balance, but then the effects are not long lasting.

thanks, and let's hope we can all kick this irritating infections! Darn our imbalanced floras!!

Old 09-03-2008, 07:25 AM   #11
(female)

alexis1234 HB User

I have seen it at a compounding pharmacy along with the capsules you need to fill...though I think if you ask at a regular pharmacy they probably have it.

Alexis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari7171 View Post
Where do you get this boric acid? Do they sell it at stores like Target and drug stores? I have used monistat 7 several times now and I'm on my second diflucan pill. My symptoms improve some but do not go away.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Thanks for the info. My symptoms are better now and all of my tests from yesterday came back clear so it's gone now. The diflucan seems to have worked. My doctor also gave me 4 more diflucan to take right before my period each cycle. At least I know there is something else out there besides these diflucan and monistat. I had never heard of using boric acid before. My doctor said boric acid is for chronic problems. Hopefully mine is gone now and does not become chronic by coming back again.

Closed Thread