It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
(female)

l3laze HB User
Question Back pain during period - endo

I have been having major back pain during my period for the past 3-4 months. I went to my family dr, she said it's not related to my period, sent me for x-ray - nothing. She gave me Ultram and a mild muscle relaxer and suggested I see a chiropractor. I've been seeing a chiropractor and he too says the pain is not related to my period and he diagnosed me with a herniated disc. I've been going twice a week for treatments at his office. I've had no pain since my last period..until yesterday when I started.

This pain is not mild cramping. It gets to the point that I have a hard time standing up from sitting or getting out of bed. It's worse when I sit for long periods and gets better if I stand or walk around. If it really is related to disc issues, why then does it only start when my period starts? I do have a call in to my gyn's nurse but she still hasn't returned my call. I'm tired of this pain and wonder if birth control pills will help. I also have vulvar vestibulitis, which I think is now called vulvodynia but haven't had any issues since I stopped the pill 2 yrs ago. I'm afraid if the only solution to the back pain is going on the pill that the vestibulitis & chronic infections will start again.

Does anyone have any insight or advice about any of it?

Last edited by l3laze; 08-13-2008 at 08:34 AM. Reason: update

Old 08-05-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Back pain during period

The back pain you are describing could come from a buldging disc or it could also be an ovarian cyst. Please don't let that scare you. 99.999% of all ovarian cysts are benign and can be caused by hormone fluctuation and a myriad of other things. They are quite common for women of child bearing age, right up through menopause. They most definitely can cause very strong low back pain. Especially around the time of ovulation and menstruation.

I'm not so sure about the chiro's diagnosis, because I don't believe he could come to this conclusion without more extensive tests. Unfortunately, I have heard of several people being told this by a chiro, only to have it turn out to be something entirely different.

My suggestion would be to see your GYN and ask if he/she could do an ultra-sound. This is the best way to find an ovarian cyst. If the GYN doesn't find anything, then I would try to get an appointment with a neurosurgeon or orthopedist to have further tests like a CAT scan or MRI. These would show if you have a bulging or ruptured disc(s).

Best of luck to you. I hope you can get the diagnosis and help you need.

Last edited by cmpgirl; 08-05-2008 at 11:36 AM. Reason: sp

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2008, 08:33 AM   #3
(female)

l3laze HB User
Re: Back pain during period

I saw a new gyn this week about this. (My old gyn has way too many patients now to spend time with you.) Anyway, the new gyn says it's endometriosis probably. I know there's no definite answer without surgery but I hate to do it when you end up with basically the same treatment afterwards..bc pills.

I have an issue with bc pills & am not sure what to do exactly. I have high bp & am on meds for it. Combo pills w/estrogen raise bp. The gyn said we could use progestin only pills & she gave me a rx for Micronor, which I was on Micronor about 6-7 yrs ago. I had an ectopic/tubal pregnancy in 2002. The information I find online about Micronor says not to give to women with a history of ectopic pg. So now I'm confused & I know to call the gyn back & ask about this. But, has anyone else dealt with this in a similar fashion? I'm not sure what to do. Pain vs pills apparently is my choice. I'm frustrated & feel like there are not really any options.

Closed Thread