It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
(female)

cystorappendix HB User
ovarian cyst or appendicitis

I have been diagnosed as having an ovarian cyst on the right side. 4 nights ago I experienced extreme pain (at leat a 10 on the pain scale) on the lower right side of my stomach accompanied by diarrhea and nausea. When the pain was severe, it seemed to radiate all the way across the upper part of my pelvis. The pain was still bad at about an 8 for the next 3 days. I could not even walk without bending slightly to ease the pain. Today the pain calmed down to about a 3 but with some nausea. I have been told that it could be appendicitis. The pain has decreased some today and I have slight diarrhea and nausea with no other symptoms. Could it still be appendicitis?

Old 08-13-2008, 12:16 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

calidreaming HB User
Re: ovarian cyst or appendicitis

i would think if it were an appendicitis there is no way it would have let up.

cyst's hurt REALLY bad. doctors dont seem to think they are a huge deal, but oh man they HURT! i thought something horrible was happening when i started feeling mine.

i was on vicadin and ice packs/heating pads and could STILL feel the pain. it was worse when i stood up or was sitting. and i couldn't stand up straight. it was horrible. i wanted to vomit. i felt like i could never relax while i had it.

just stay with it...it will pass. have they given you any pain meds? they didn't help much with me, but every person is different!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2008, 06:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

The symptoms are almost identical. Was the person who said maybe appendicitis a doctor? If not, don't sweat it.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
(female)

cystorappendix HB User

No they haven't. They put me on the pill a while back but it keeps coming back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson85 View Post
i would think if it were an appendicitis there is no way it would have let up.

cyst's hurt REALLY bad. doctors dont seem to think they are a huge deal, but oh man they HURT! i thought something horrible was happening when i started feeling mine.

i was on vicadin and ice packs/heating pads and could STILL feel the pain. it was worse when i stood up or was sitting. and i couldn't stand up straight. it was horrible. i wanted to vomit. i felt like i could never relax while i had it.

just stay with it...it will pass. have they given you any pain meds? they didn't help much with me, but every person is different!

Old 08-13-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
(female)

cystorappendix HB User

The person was a physicians assistant but it was just after conversation not an examination. I was told that usually when it ruptures, the pain eases up until the more severe symptoms start showing. Do you have any idea?

Old 08-14-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
(female)

leafonthewind HB User

Most of the time a person will run a fever with appendicitis. If you have an elevated temperature, you should make a trip to your doctor right away.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
(female)

emsgirl2 HB User

You can have a blood test to see if your White blood count is very high which would point to the appendicitis. You wouldn't want to have a burst appendix which could be pretty serious. On the other hand I would think a pelvic exam would clarify if it's a cyst, and I can't see why your doctor wouldn't clairify this for you and give you something to ease the pain. Also there are many different types of cysts so I think you should go back to your gyno and get some clear answers. Good luck.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #8
(female)

cystorappendix HB User

I am now very bloated throughout the whole abdomen. I know I should just go get checked but I'm just trying to prolong it as long as possible. I'm hoping somebody can give me a little bit of info that will help me decide if it can wait a little longer or if I need to go now. Thanks to everyone for all your input.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:29 AM   #9
(female)

leafonthewind HB User

Hon, if you're having pain and so many symptoms, go see your doctor. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Let us know if everything is ok whatever you decide to do.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:40 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello cystorappendix,

Your symptoms sound very much like those of a ruptured cyst (nausea, diarrhea, intense pelvic pain etc..). If you had already been diagnosed with a cyst then it is very likely that the cyst burst and caused you that intense pain. Usually the pain from a burst cyst lasts for about a week until the liquid from the cyst has been absorbed by the abdomen. The bloating also seems to fit since while your abdomen is absorbing the fluid from the cyst it would make sense to feel bloated. You really need to go and see your doctor so that you can schedule another ultrasound to make sure that this is what happened. On the ultrasound they may see liquid in the abdomen (although your body may have already absorbed this) and the cyst should be gone. Of course the pain may be being caused by the cyst as well and I have had bad pain with my large cyst (although not as severe as what you describe).

Appendicitis is also a possibility and at the emergency ovarian cysts are very often confused with appendicitis (they are even given the term "white appendix"). You need to make sure that there is nothing wrong with your appendix because if it is acting up you want to make sure you get help before something serious occurs.

Notify your doctor and see what he or she says.

All the best.

Estria

Old 08-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #11
(female)

CatholicWoman HB User

If you suspect that you may have appendicitis, please go to your emergency room. Appendicitis can be fatal as far as I know.

Closed Thread