It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 02:26 AM   #1
(female)

LeeCaro89 HB User
Prolonged spotting

Hi everyone

I'm here posting to you all hoping that someone could give me a bit of advice. Or at least a reassurance.

I've been spotting now for about two and a half weeks. I say spotting, because it's not enough to be counted as a period in my opinion (nor is it the right colour, it has more of a brown tinge than a blood colour) but yet it's enough to have to wear a panty liner. I have no other symptoms with it, no sore breasts, no cramps, no anything. This is the longest time I've had spotting like this.

I know that spotting on its own is normal. But I have other concerns about my female health and it does worry me when all put together.

I have really irregular periods, I sometimes get them twice a month, sometimes I wont get them for months, sometimes I get really long ones, sometimes really heavy and painful ones. It varies. I went to the Dr's last year to treat a long period (I was only my 30th day when I saw the GP) and they took a blood test and apparently the possibility of polycystic ovarian syndrome was present. So off I went to the gyno to have a pelvic ultrasound, which came back normal. I didn't have the internal examination due to the fact of my virginity (ethical issues and the like).

I can't go on the regular pill because I suffer from severe migraines on occasion. I have been on Primolut once (a short course to stop the prolonged bleeding mentioned above) but for no more than about a week. So currently I'm not taking any contraceptives.

I also have now been with my boyfriend for 15 months, and we have recently started to explore the possibility of us both losing our virginity together. We have tried now half a dozen times and I can't go through with it because of the pain. I pride myself on having a fairly good pain tolerance, but in this situation it has been way too intense and I've told him to stop. I know this is more of a sexual health issue but I wanted to include all info I can about myself...

Also - I'm 19 years old. And another thing - I have a really low sex drive. I barely ever feel horny (I'm sorry if that's a crude phrase). I don't know how to explain it any other way. I've been told, that as a young person, I should be right out there and wanting to try new things like that and experience the 'greatness' of sex and sexual feelings. But I've never really had much of that rip-off-my-clothes now kind of passion through me. Granted, it does happen, but very, very rarely.

My mum has had quite a number of gyno-related health issues. To start off with she's got an underactive thyroid (not gyno I know, but hormone related), and several years ago a smear test came back abnormal so she went through all of the processes and just last year she had a full hysterectomy. Apparently one of her ovaries was 'dead' too, I think she actually used the term 'flat'... She has also told me about how she has a tilted uterus or something along those lines? I'm really not sure of the terminology there but the Dr's really don't like doing smear tests on her, apparently, because of the angle..?

I'm starting to feel a bit like people think I'm a hypochondriac hence why I'm posting here and haven't made an appointment with my GP. I went to them just recently and told them about my issues with sex and the pain I get with penetration, and they sent me away with a list of things to try and 'stretch' myself but so far they haven't made any difference. They also don't seem to be too concerned about my irregularities in menstruation, but it's really annoying me, because I can get caught out with it especially when I have no idea of a date I'm expecting it, and half the time I don't get symptoms until after the bleeding starts. It can get pretty awkward. The Dr's have said it's because I'm thin - I'm probably about 5'6'' and about 105 pounds?

It's just getting frustrating because personally - I don't think things in my body are normal. Things don't feel right, and as a young person, when I think of all my friends and their 'normalness' I feel pretty broken.

Help please? What might be the reason for me spotting this long without a period?

(I am so sorry for the large post - the more I thought, the more I typed. It's felt really good putting it all down though. Very therapeutic.)

Last edited by LeeCaro89; 08-19-2008 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Also no chance of pregnany, at all. I'm 100% sure of this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2008, 02:54 AM   #2
(female)

hdladyred HB User
Re: Prolonged spotting

Hi,
First, I'm not a doctor, but I am a woman who has had several of the issues that you have. Second, it is your health that you are talking about and you have a right to have your physician treat you well and listen to your concerns. That stated, I'd make an appointment with another doctor and see if s/he will listen to your concerns with a little more compassion. To me, it sounds as though your hormones need to be regulated. That in and of itself is not of much concern and can be managed via shots, patches, or pills. The stretching of your vaginal walls is something that you will need to do and it can be fun between you and your boyfriend - but it will take time and patience between the two of you, if the time is right. And honestly, at 19 if you have a low sex drive, maybe that is your body and your mind telling you that you aren't ready for that kind of intimacy yet. There is a lot more to the decision to have sex that running through the house ripping each other's clothes off and jumping into bed. I have a feeling that your body is tightening up and not cooperating up and trying to tell you just that. Take a deep breath and listen to your body and your heart. But, also listen to the irregular periods and spotting, please follow up and go to another doctor and make sure that they know about your mother's medical history. You probably have nothing to worry about - but it is worth checking in to. You are also at the perfect age to investigate taking the new shot that is available to young women that helps to minimize the risk of getting cervical cancer - if you haven't already gotten it - please ask your doctor about it - ask about the pros and cons and consider getting it. I hope that my little bit of information has helped you - and feel free to talk away on the board any time - we are all out here to listen.
Take care of yourself!
Lissa

Closed Thread