It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
(female)

DesperatePerson HB User
BV Treatment after Antibiotic-Induced Yeast Infection

After taking an antibiotic for a few months, I developed a recurring yeast infection. My doctor now says, after being treated with Nystatin, Monistat 7, and two treatments of Gynazole 1 over a 3 month period, that tests and cultures show an overgrowth of flora, but no signs of a yeast infection, and I have what he thinks looks like BV (no BV tests were done). He prescribed one dose of Clindesse. After I asked him if Clindesse could cause another yeast infection, he laughed, and said, "If we over-medicate, it can cause an infection, but it's worth a shot."

Since I seem to be predisposed to getting hard-to-treat infections after antibiotic use, what do you thnk my odds are of developing another yeast infection after taking just one dose of Clindesse?

Do yeast infections seem to occur only after longer-term use of BV treatments, or is it all variable?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: BV Treatment after Antibiotic-Induced Yeast Infection

Did you have yeast before? A positive wet mount test?

Do you now have discharge or fishy-smelling odor?

He does have a point, that one dose isn't as likely to cause an infection as a long course of antibiotics. However, it might be worth having a yeast treatment on hand just in case the white stuff comes back.

The vagina is very delicate, and I think doctors should be more careful than they are about shoving one drug after another up there, but hopefully this will be the cure for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
(female)

DesperatePerson HB User

Yes, I did have yeast, at least when I was originally diagnosed in June.

Haven't ever had fishy-smelling odor though.

And I completely agree that doctors should be more careful! I don't know why the trial and error method is so popular when dealing with this particular area. It's very frustrating.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

Do an internet search on "Proboulardi". Western MDs are generally un-enlightened on it, never heard of it and will tell you that if you must do something like the proboulardi, at least consider eating yogurt with probiotics first. Look into it.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

I'd have a culture done to be sure first. I had a different med but had the worst ever yeast infection after treating BV. I was so swollen nad raw I could barely stand to walk.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
(female)

nicole113075 HB User

I'm going through this right now. Oh, Sorry, hello everyone! I'm Nicole & really glad to be here!

I'm going through my umpteenth bout with BV, & one of the worst ones yet.

My boyfriend & I broke up for about 3 weeks, so I wasn't having sex. We got back together & started having sex again, & BAM! This has happened before. I went to the DR. last time thinking my boyfriend had slept with someone when we were apart & gave me an STD! But the Dr. confirmed & explained to me that BV can occur after a long time (weeks) of abstinence, then long sessions of sexual activity. So again, I'm waiting for the Doc to come back to work on monday (He's on vacation), so he can refill my prescription of tetrazole? (spelling)
or something like that.......I forgot the name...Sorry. But the last time I used it, it was AMAZING!

Last edited by nicole113075; 09-06-2008 at 10:56 AM.

Closed Thread