It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 12:33 AM   #1
(female)

k3danville HB User
estradiol readings, menopause or ovary tumors

I discontinued my birth control pills because I thought I might be in menopause. I am young; 44, but had had night sweats, bloating and missed periods. I have not had a period since March 15th and haven't taken any more birth control pills. My FSH level just came back as a 3 and estradiol as 1200. I feel crampy and need to urinate frequently. Could this be a tumor on my ovary, or are these results normal?

Last edited by k3danville; 09-02-2008 at 12:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #2
(female)

LilliTN HB User
Re: estradiol readings, menopause or ovary tumors

Your report should give you a reference range. I'm assuming your doctor ran this test and if so should have explained what the results mean. If you sent off for this testing via a saliva kit on your own you should make an appt. with your gyno now and retest. Many doctors won't do hormone level tests without your insistence as they say they vary so much but if you are having these symptoms it sounds warranted. Any breast tenderness?

I was having extreme symptoms and missing periods and thought my estradiol must be high. After about 3 months of feeling awful and screwing around seeing docs they finally did test and it was pretty high. They did an ultrasound then and found a fibroid had grown quite a bit (they feed off estrogen) and I had a large ovarian cyst. Within about 30 days we retested and the estrogen had dropped back to a normal level and an US showed the cyst had resolved. No one has yet to explain how it was all related but guessing it all was.

Sounds like you might be peri.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
(female)

LilliTN HB User

BTW, you are sure you aren't pregnant, right?

Old 09-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
(female)

k3danville HB User

Yes, not pregnant (I took a few tests to be sure). My nurse practitioner agreed to test my FSH & estrogen because I had peri-menopause symptoms: night sweats, weight gain, inability to lose weight even though I'm exercising, etc and my HDL cholesterol level was quite low (I'm young for menopause but it makes sense given my history). I kept thinking I would start my period and I wouldn't even need to do the blood work. However, since I still haven't had a period and cramping is worse, I decided to go ahead and test at my hospital's lab. Lab results were given via internet so I haven't heard from my practitioner yet due to holiday but after reading I think they might be fibroids too. On the plus side I've eliminated dairy products and going off the pill has caused me to lose about 15 pounds and I feel healthy except for the cramping and a touch of vertigo (causing some nausea).

Last edited by k3danville; 09-02-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
(female)

LilliTN HB User

Not knowing the range of their tests I can tell you that they have different ranges for different parts of your cycle in the month. If you are considered meno or peri they show a range for that too. The highest range for any part of the cycle on mine was 480 and when we tested I was in the 600 range and just felt awful but had felt even worse and suspect it had been much higher than that. I was really alarmed at the 600 but one doctor mentioned something about women on fertility drugs it was common to be well over 1000. If it's up for a shorter period I don't think it's as much a cause for alarm as someone who is high for a long period of time. Being overweight I understand can cause estrogen to be high and if you are always considerably overweight that might be worse than a spike here and there.

One doctor mentioned the enlarged ovary/cyst was likely related and either the cause or the result of the estradiol. It did all seem to get better when the cyst resolved.

Talk about vertigo, I've been through that a few times too but mine ended up being due to my eustacian tubes and ears. It's really disabling. I was nauseous and really unable to function. Couldn't drive. Both times it took some antibiotics and steroids to clear it up. Doesn't seem to go away on its own - didn't for me. This was unrelated to any of the female stuff.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
(female)

k3danville HB User

Yesterday I got an email that my regular doctor said I needed to see my OB. I told an endo my numbers and she said the results were high and to see my OB. Anyhow I have an appointment with my OB today. I am now at a good weight, BMI of a "23" so I wasn't grossly overweight but had been exercising 4-6 days a week and still gained weight for some reason. Anyhow, I'll know more after today. Thanks for all of your input...
btw-
I had it about ten years ago and went away after I had the flu (probably the fever made it go away). My doctor said it could take as long as a year to go away. I had my vertigo looked at (it wasn't an inner ear problem, they thought it was a virus of some kind). It isn't as intense as it was in June.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
(female)

LilliTN HB User

Post back what you find out. Would love to hear. My doctors were all a bit baffled at it all and said they didn't see it go high much like that. One thought I must surely have been taking some sort of supplement that was causing it but I had been doing nothing differently at all. Another just shrugged it off to peri and that nothing is predictable while that's going on. Had I not had the excrutiating breast pain that lasted a full 3 months I likely would not have known or sought treatment. None of them could relate another case like mine so would be interesting to know what your gyno's opinion is.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
(female)

k3danville HB User

I'm having another pregnancy test done just to be safe.(blood work). She also did a pelvic and did not feel any masses. I have an ultrasound scheduled for Monday too.
If I'm not pregnant, I'm going to take progesterone for five days to "jump start" my body into a period. If that happens, I'm do take all of the bloodwork tests again on day #2 or #3 of my period to see what the estradiol levels are at that point. She has never seen a level this high, nor doc who works with her. She didn't think it was fibroids (she felt that might make my periods heavier, not non-existent).

At least they are being very thorough!

Old 09-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #9
(female)

LilliTN HB User

All of that sounds very appropriate. Good.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
(female)

LilliTN HB User

K3Danville - what's the latest on the high estradiol? Any more explanation as to cause? Has it come down?

Closed Thread