It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2008, 07:27 AM   #1
(female)

liz666 HB User
Why didnt my epidural work properly?

I had a epidural about 3 years ago with my 1st and only son i have at the moment, it was inserted 3 times in my back to begin with, and it only numbed me from my knees downwards. Then i was taken to theatre about 30 hours after because i was screaming and in agony, and then they did it again, and finally it worked how it should do, complete pain relief where it shouldve of been. I would like to know if anyone has had a similar problem as this, obviously i am petrefied to have more children, as this could prob happen agian....I was on gas and air for 18 hours, would this of stopped it working or taking affect how it should of done? Thanks

Old 09-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
(female)

cme10ae HB User
Re: Why didnt my epidural work properly?

This happened to me with my last child. It was horrible - mine didn't work at all no matter how much they tried. Then when I was pushing the baby got stuck and I was wheeled into surgery for an emergency c-section. In there they started to cut me and I could feel it!!! You don't want to know what that's like, believe me. I don't know if they didn't believe that the epi didn't work or what. So then an enrgency call went out to anesthesia and they put me out. I ended up hemoraging and nearly died. Not something I wanted to go through again...so like I said, that was my last child.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
(female)

liz666 HB User

Sorry to hear that, yeah i dont think they believed me either, mine eventually worked when i was in theatre. Bad labours run in my family, i just dont understand why it numbed my knees downwards. Thankyou for your reply.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

I had two c-sections. Both times I was given a spinal both times it didn't take. My second pregnancy I couldn't breathe through my nose almost from the day I got pregnant. I didn't know that with some woman they can have their mucus membranes swell. I could only breathe through my nose after using Afrin.

They gave me a spinal and I thought I was numb because I couldn't feel the pin. I told the anesthesiologist I couldn't breathe through my nose. (He didn't pay any attention to me) They began to cut me and when they got deeper than the surface I was not numb and yet my doctor refused to allow me to be asleep. So I had to endure the entire operation completely and totally feeling everything. Then after my daughter was born they went to put me asleep. Well they gave me only enough sodium penathol to knock me out but this only paralyzed me so that I couldn't speak, as I was not asleep when they began to put the tube down my throat and I couldn't breathe at all. I was suffocating. Suddenly I prayed for God to take care of my babies and I would see him soon. I guess I crashed on the table but the anesthesiologist was able to revive me. He came to my room the next day and said, What did you do to me in that operating room? I said, TO YOU? I proceeded to tell him that next time someone tells you they can't breathe through their nose to listen to them. That I was awake while he was putting the tube down my throat. He said, You were awake? I said Yes I was. He then proceeded to tell me that my blood pressure totally bottomed out and that he had to use every thing in his power to bring me back. Thankfully he helped me not die. But that was NOT fun. He then told me the reason the spinal didn't take is that my spine apparently must be crooked so that the fluid doesn't travel to numb me.

Closed Thread