It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
(female)

princessbelle HB User
Ruptured Cyst on Left Ovarie? Now what?

Hello everyone,

I just have a few questions about cysts. 3 days ago (Weds night) I started feeling a dull aching pain on my lower left side. I went to bed early and figured it would be gone with some rest. I was wrong...I woke up in the morning and could hardly walk because the pain was so bad. So my Mom rushed me over to my doctor and she asked a little about the pain then sent me to the ER.

I then had the usual done...urine, blood work, etc. then they told me they were scheduling me for an ultra-sound for 10:00 am today. So, with that done...we went home. I was feeling ok driving home, just a little discomfort. I then decided to take a shower (in my downstairs bathroom.) I went downstairs and fell to the floor in pain and ended up crawling up the basement stairs in hopes to find some one to help me. My Mom, at that point, almost called 911. I decided to take pain killers, lay still, and try to make it through the night.

I made it to the ultra sound this morning and got the results this afternoon. They say I have a large amount of fluid on my left side and are saying its a ruptured cyst on my left ovary. The ultra sound technichians said I shouldn't wait until Monday to meet with my doctor about this...but my Doctor will not be in until then. Can someone please give me advice? I have just been laying still today and not doing anything...but I keep reading that after a rupture you need to go on meds etc. Please help! I feel like a sitting duck...do I wait until I see my doctor on Monday?

Thanks a ton...

Princess Belle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
(female)

princessbelle HB User
Re: Ruptured Cyst on Left Ovarie? Now what?

Hello again,

Is there anyone familar with ruptured ovarian cysts? at all? I'm going to my doctors on Monday (she wasn't in yesterday or at all this weekend) but apparently my ultra sound report said I have moderate fluid on my left side. Is that pretty much confirmed as a ruptured cyst? And all I do is rest...thats it?

Thanks again

Old 09-07-2008, 05:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello Princesse,

Try not to panic. Do you have a fever ? Are you still experiencing pelvic pain and if so is it more or less than before ? Do you have chills ? You need to monitor yourself for these symptoms. If you have a fever and chills you will need to go to the emergency room for treatment. If the pain has subsided and you are starting to feel better then it may be OK for you to wait until Monday.

The fluid from the ruptured ovarian cyst will eventually be absorbed by your body and most often no surgery is required. You will feel uncomfortable for a while as your body will take some time to absorb all of the liquid in your pelvis. Try to relax and not overexert yourself. Use a heating pad on your pelvis in order to help with the pain. If you are allowed to take an ibuprofen such as Advil or Pamprin, it will help with the pain (just check with your mom to make sure that this is OK .. some people cannot take ibuprofen).

I am sure that you will be fine however if you begin to have sever symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, a fever, chills etc.. have your mom drive you to the emergency as more treatment may be required.

Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Best Regards,

Estria

Old 09-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
(female)

theresa43 HB User

I have had two ruptured cysts. Just a couple weeks ago, a cyst ruptured while I was camping. The pain lasted a couple hours, enough to make you want to scream and rush to the ER. Since this was my second, I worked through the pain...used heating pad, Ibprophen, and tried to breath. I feel sick for a couple days afterwards. Usually tired, bowel problems, and pain. The pain usually starts in a central location, then turns to a burning pain reaching around to my back. With my first, I had an ultrasound...but nothing they can do at that point. Before they happen, I feel bloated, my bowels are messed up, I have pain where the cyst is, usually on my left side. Since this last rupture, I still have the symptons, especially the bloating, so I'm looking forward to another wonderful month. I'll be interested to see what your doc said today. Please let me know. I am going to see a GYN soon myself.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
(female)

princessbelle HB User

Hello there,

I'm sorry to hear that you too have delt with this. I'm sitting around today waiting for my doctor to call. I went to see her Yesterday, and she said the full report from the hospital (the ultra sound results) did not get faxed to her yet. So she called them while we were there and told us they only gave her a brief over view on the phone...but they would send the full report soon. (just needed a doctor to sign.) Anyway, she said I have moderate fluid on my right side. So my doctor kept talking about it being an ovarian cyst and then stopped short and looked puzzled.

She was like "Wait a minute, the ultra sound is saying your right side has fluid but your pain was on your left?" So then she said something about a ruptured appendix and just to make sure she had me get blood work done. So I don't even know anymore if it was a cyst and at this point I'm getting a little nervous. My blood work results will be back after 3:00 today and hopefully my full report has come in. Its freaky because I read that ovarian cysts and appendix can be similar...they both have major pain at rupture and then die down.

I had serious pain for 3 days, but it was until the 3rd day I was crawling and crying in pain..for about 30 mins then it was gone. :S

Please anyone...tell me your thoughts on this?

Old 09-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
(female)

peace4health HB Userpeace4health HB Userpeace4health HB User

Princess, in your 1st post, you say that the ultrasound showed a large amount of fluid on your left side. What happened in a few days that the report changed?!?! Make sure they're not confusing anything. I don't think you were wrong in hearing them say it was on your left side.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
(female)

princessbelle HB User
Unhappy Re: Ruptured Cyst on Left Ovarie? Now what?

ok..this is what happend..on friday night after we had the ultra sound and learned my doctor wouldn't be in until Monday we flipped. So we got another doctor to call and ask for the results on the phone. They told her I had Fluid in my abdomen and my Mom and I both can not remember what side she said. So then, my Doctor called in yesterday while we were in the office and asked for the results...still not being ready to fax they told her a brief description. They clearly said I have fluid on my right side.

When my doctor started to tell us this we all looked at eachother puzzled and began to wonder if they made a mistake...so she called the secretary in the room and told her to call and ask if they mean't the left side. Well, 5 mins later the secretary came back and said "No, they say there is no mistake. There is fluid in her right side."

So now we are still waiting to hear what the heck happend. I'm just worried it IS my appendix. I have had no appitite all weekend, and all I do is lay on the couch. My mom called the doctors office again today, and the blood work has not come back yet...they said they will have results in tomorrow. So for now...I really don't know what to think!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:16 PM   #8
(female)

peace4health HB Userpeace4health HB Userpeace4health HB User

I hope you'll be ok soon

Old 09-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
(female)

princessbelle HB User

Thank you Peace4health...

My blood work is coming in today after 3:00 sometime...

My uncle who is a nurse has a feeling it could be an appendix rupture...because the pain isn't always on the right for that.
I'm not thrilled the hospital saw the fluid on my right...and said there was a problem..but still have not sent the full report to my doctor.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

I have heard of some cases of Ovarain cysts where the cyst is on the right side and pain is felt on the left and vicer versa.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Princessbelle,

Yes you may have referred pain which means that even though the problem is on your right side, you feel it on the left. Does the pain seem to be subsiding ? If you had an appendix problem that caused such incredible pain I would think that it would not be better but worse whereas a cyst would be getting slowly better. However, you are right, appendicitis and an ovarian cyst rupture are extremely similiar and often mistaken for each other in the emergency room. You will need to look at the bloodwork to be sure.

Come back and tell us how you are doing.

Best Estria

Old 09-10-2008, 09:09 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

calidreaming HB User

you CAN have referred pain.

i had a cyst on my RIGHT ovary but i could feel pains on the left side, right side, and sometimes back and thighs.

the fluid gets into your organs and can cause some major pain. im lucky, mine never ruptured it went away with menstruation. but i HAVE heard the rupture can be VERY painful, and then subside to dull pain.

i also think you would be experiencing some HORRIBLE pain if it was the appendix and i think your doctor would have rushed you to ER if she had thought it ruptured. thats a pretty serious issue that i dont think doctors would have you wait around for blood tests.

get better!!!

Old 09-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Thank you for your post!

My cyst is on the right side, yet most of the pain I feel is on the opposite side. My gynecologist said the pain must be from something else, because it is not on the "right" side. Yeah, like what???? He did not say.

Anyway, it's so good to know!
FG

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 09-11-2008 at 09:23 AM.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #14
(female)

princessbelle HB User

Hello again,

Ok...so its time for an update. I went to my doctor again this afternoon...my Ultra sound report says:

" complex cyst measuring 2.7 x 2.3 cm on left ovary...possibly a small hemorrhagic cyst. There is a moderate amount of free fluid in the right lower quadrant around the right adnexa. The etiology of this is uncertain. Appendix not visualized."

So..can anyone tell me what I'm up against? I go back for another ultra sound in 4 weeks.

thanks!

Old 09-16-2008, 06:50 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Princesse,

It looks like although you have a cyst filled with blood on your left ovary, you also have a moderate amount of fluid on your right side around your right ovary (ie. adnexa). The etiology or reason for this fluid is unknown.

Some possibilities might be that another ovarian cyst on your right ovary may have ruptured causing the fluid or that perhaps the cyst that they do see has gone through some changes resulting in the build up of fluid.

Hemmorraghic cysts may go away on their own but if the fluid in your abdomen is still there on your next ultrasound they may recommend an MRI to see about getting a better more detailed look at the pelvic region.

If you feel uncomfortable in the meantime (ie. more than you presently are), I would not hesitate to call my doctor and have him move up the next ultrasound. More than likely you are experiencing cysts that are rupturing and causing the fluid build up.

I hope they can give you some suggestions soon so that you can get on your way to being pain free.

All the best.

Estria

Closed Thread