It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
(female)

LittlePenguin08 HB User
Ovarian Cysts

Hello,

I had a miscarriage in early August, and about 4 weeks later, during a follow-up ultrasound for my miscarriage, they found a "simple cyst" on my left ovary that is 5.8 x 4.2 x 5.4cm.

Now, not only am I scared about having possible retained, left over tissue from my miscarriage, I am also scared to death about this simple cyst thing...like what if it affects my future fertility?! My periods were always regular and I never had much cramps before. I guess my miscarriage process isn't entirely complete so I am not ovulating, and as a result a cysts grows when I don't ovulate...?

What is usually done for a cyst of this size? I don't really any pain at all, just bleeding (I don't know if it's my miscarriage bleeding or the cyst causing the bleeding?). This is so confusing and frightening.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
(female)

LilliTN HB User
Re: Ovarian Cysts

I had one about this size. A simple, functional cyst with a small amount of fluid in that same area. I had no idea and it was found during an exam and then sized during an ultrasound after. I was not feeling any symptoms from it. We waited 30 days and then did a f/u ultrasound and it was gone and the fluid had been absorbed. Because there was already some fluid in the abdomen at discovery perhaps it had been there for a few months and was already starting to decrease in size. I had been told it can take a few months for them to disappear when they are large. Regardless, if mine had not resolved on its own they were talking surgery. I did not feel any pain in the month it was resolving either though some people do.

So if they tell you to hang on and watch it rather than surgery don't be surprised.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2008, 02:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello Lilli,

Last September (2007) I began to have irregular bleeding and pelvic pain so I decided to go off the birth control pill that I had been on for the past 20 years. The bleeding went away and I became regular again BUT in an ultrasound that they did they found a 7.6 x 5.3 x 6.7 cm cyst on my left ovary.

Since it was a simple cyst we waited and they told me it would go away. I had ultrasounds three, six and now twelve months later and the cyst is still there. They said it is the same size size even though now it measures 7.8 x 5.1 x 7.6 cm. There is even a tiny spot of calicification in one area that is barely visible but they tell me that this sometimes happens when a cyst has been there for a long time. They are still NOT recommending surgery and I am scheduled for ultrasounds every six months to keep an eye on it. All of my doctors (and I have seen my own general practitioner, a gynecologist, two radiologists and in order to be absolutely sure two other gynecologists .. one being a gynecological oncologist and another who did an internal ultrasound) say that it is a benign growth.

I experience pain during ovulation which can be controlled with or without ibuprofen. Other than that I don't even know that the cyst is there.

I do not think that the cyst will affect your fertility because you have another ovary that can take over. My sister in law had a huge 12 cm complex cyst that they had to remove and they ended up taking her ovary with it. She was still able to get pregnant and have a child with the remaining ovary. We have millions of eggs in each of our ovaries and when one ovary is not functioning the other will take over for it.

More than likely they will recommend that you do a follow up ultrasound in about three months time to see if the cyst is gone and if it is not they may give you the choice of having it removed with laparoscopic surgery. If a cyst grows to around 10 cm or more though, the morphology of the cyst is no longer important (ie. what it looks like) and they will remove it. Laparoscopic surgery consists of three holes, one in your belly button and two more on either side. The belly button hole has a light inserted into it and something that blows in air and the two other holes have instruments inserted into them which are used to remove the cyst (and the ovary if it is too damaged). If the cyst persists they may also recommend you take a CA-125 test as they did with me. This tests checks for a certain cancer antigen that is often present in ovarian cancer. However this test is extremely unreliable. My sister in law had a high CA-125 with her 12 cm cyst and she was terrified. However it turned out to be a benign cyst. In my case my CA-125 was 7, well within the normal range. I suppose I should be reassured but this test is so unreliable I don't trust it.

At the moment they are testing a new OvC test called Ovasure which looks at CA-125 and a few other markers together to see how these results can provide information. The gynecological association think it is still too early to guage its success despite the fact that the creators of the test say that its accuracy is 99% (quite amazing).

More than likely in your case your cyst will go away in a few cycles. Are you by any chance on fertility drugs ? These can definitely overstimulate the ovaries and cause larger than normal cysts. Speak to your doctor about your options but I suspect that he will recommend watchful waiting. As unnerving as this is, do it. The cyst will probably resolve by itself.

Take care and all the best.

Estria

Old 09-09-2008, 07:27 AM   #4
(female)

grattenbury HB User

Hi Estria
I hope you remember my posts. Post meno bleed. Had the hysteroscopy and d&c all clear just atrophic change. Just been today to see about the cysts on each ovary after 3 months stayed the same size just 12mm. CA125 came back normal but I am still worried ! What will it take for me to just forget it. The radio oligist said they will just not do anything now unless I get any thing else happen. Hope you are keeping well.
Gilly

Old 09-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #5
(female)

LittlePenguin08 HB User

I went to my obstetrician yesterday and she told me to not worry about the cyst and the main concern now is the possible retained products from my miscarriage 5 weeks ago. I guess it is not that big of a deal (hopefully). She actually did not even discuss about the cyst other than "don't worry about the cyst"... So I guess her suggestion is watchful waiting...

Now I am just being paranoid everytime I sneeze because I am freaked out that it might rupture my cyst.

I am not and I was not on any fertility drugs or treatment. I did have a miscarriage 5 weeks ago though, and the cyst appeared 3 weeks after my miscarriage. Maybe the cyst is a result of not ovulating after my miscarriage or something...I don't know.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #6
(female)

LilliTN HB User

Little Penguin,

The not ovulating thing? I had one gyno mention this as related though I was on info overload so I didn't "get" it. Prior to my cyst discovery I had missed 2 periods and my estradiol was very high and I had excrutiating breast pain related to it. My hormones were really wacked. Your hormones may be "wack" as well right now and it's all related.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Grattenbury, Little Penguin and LilliTN ..

Grattenbury, yes I do remember your posts and am glad to hear that all is stable. I too have a tendency to worry about my cyst still sitting there even though there is no significant change. I have however come to the conclusion that even if we don't have something like this, we can get sick at anytime. Having these things does not make us more likely to get sick. In addition, the regular ultrasounds are actually better screening tools than having a simple pelvic examination (my doctor could never feel my 8 cm cyst on pelvic examination) so in a way if anything does go wrong, they should be able to catch it sooner. After a while you will learn to accept this as simply the way you are and you won't fret as much. I know get worried when my ultrasound is coming up. The rest of the time I figure that the doctors have looked at the situation and said that I have nothing to worry about. What would I prefer .. the opposite ? I suppose not. I admit that it is not easy but having surgery may either accomplish nothing (ie. the cyst may grow back) or cause something else (such as surgical adhesions or something) so for the moment I agree with staying put.

Little Penguin, I hope that the tissue from the miscarriage is released from your body soon. Try not to over think things too much and let your body do what it has to right now. However things occurred, this is the situation today and where you are now. I spent months obsessing about how I got this damned cyst .. was it all of those years of being on the pill ? did it happen when I went off the pill ? (ie. due to overstimulation of the ovaries after so long) .. was it the medication my mother took me off of suddenly when I was a child (some sort of hormonal medication for hirsutism) ? This went on and on and on until finally I realized that I was wasting my energy on something I can do nothing about. Work on healing yourself right now and don't worry about how this happened.

Oh and sneezing will not cause a cyst rupture .. I too went through a period of walking on eggshells until I realized that I cannot live the rest of my life like this. I carry my Advil around with me, just in case, but try to forget that I have an ovarian cyst. Sometimes cysts rupture without pain .. I have read that the pain is caused by the type of liquid contained in the cyst (such as blood, fluid, mucous etc..). Also cyst don't pop like balloons but often just leak fluid for a time and a lot even regress back into the ovary.

Take care of yourselves ladies and hang in there !

Estria

Old 09-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
(female)

LittlePenguin08 HB User

I am wondering now, so when I ovulate, will it burst my ovarian cyst? Or will I ovulate with the other ovary?

Estria: I am trying to learn to think like you too, to not think too much and to just focus on what has happened, but it is hard to do. I was and still am obsessed over how I got this cyst and how my miscarriage happened.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:41 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Little Penguin,

Don't worry, with time you will slowly stop obsessing about it and will gradually come to accept the situation. It is not easy to suddenly find out there could possibly be something "not normal" about our bodies and quite normal to try to find out why it happened. However, in your case, they have only just found the cyst and it will most likely be gone at your next ultrasound as most of them disappear after about 3 cycles.

Cysts don't necessarily burst, they also regress back into the ovary. Also, if what they are seeing is a mature follicle that will release an egg during your next cycle, you may not necessarily feel it, especially if the cyst is filled with epithelial fluid (as opposed to say blood). The cyst may also be a corpus luteal cyst which is the "shell" that is left over after you ovulate. Sometimes this shell closes off and fills up with fluid. These are usually absorbed back into the ovary.

As for ovulation, you may still ovulate with that ovary as that cyst may be a mature follicle or other follicle may form on that ovary which will release eggs. If that ovary for some reason does not release an egg then your other ovary will take over. We are supposed to have millions of eggs so if necessary your other ovary can take over for ever.

Try to relax and see if you can schedule another ultrasound with your gyne if one has not already been scheduled. My doctors have also told me to get the ultrasound during my period when cysts are most likely not to be there (follicles start to grow at the start of our menses).

All the best.

Estria

Old 09-13-2008, 01:00 AM   #10
(female)

dancing HB User

Estria,

Where does the fluid from ovarian cysts go or how is it come out of the body? Vaginally? Also, what happens and how does it feel when a cyst ruptures?

Thank you,
dancing

Old 09-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Dancing,

The fluid is absorbed by the abdomen but when there is fluid from an ovarian cyst, the abdomen cannot absorb all of the liquid all at once so it will be quite uncomfortable for a time until the abdomen can absorb everything. Also, I imagine that one would be quite bloated for about a week or so as the body has absorbed all of the built up fluid.

I cannot speak from personal experience about what a burst ovarian cyst feels like as mine has never burst. I am told by my gynecologist that it is a build up of pain and that it may involve diarrhea, vomiting and nausea .. undoubtedly because the descending colon is in that area and the fluid from the cyst irritates it. However, I have also read that the amount of pain depends upon the type of fluid that is contained within the cyst. For example, a cyst with blood in it is very painful when it bursts whereas a cyst with epithelial fluid may or may not be painful (my general practitioner has also corroborated this variety of pain with different situations). In addition, if a cyst is located on the left side the risk of rupture is minimized because the descending colon acts like a cushion. Sorry I cannot be of more help in actually describing what it feels like.

I can tell you that when I ovulate it is sometimes very painful and my first ovulation after being on the pill for 20 years may have been a cyst bursting to release an egg. I know that that pain was not pleasant and it made all of the muscles in my pelvis spasm .. like a charliehorse. After that it was painful to urinate and have a bowel movement for a while. However, with the use of ibuprofen and a heating pad, the pain subsided within a few hours. I know at that point I had another 2.5 cm cyst on my left ovary in addition to the 8 cm one that I still have. Perhaps it was this cyst bursting but I am not sure. Too bad we don't have skin made of glass as then we would know what the heck was going on when we experience pain.

Take care and best regards,

Estria

Old 09-14-2008, 12:40 AM   #12
(female)

dancing HB User

Hello Estria,

Thank you so much for taking your time.

I don't know for sure that I have a cyst, but will be seeing gyno next week. What I do know is that I am in menopause and on natural progesterone. I've stopped the Bi-est part of the HRT for the time being, as I also have small fibroids, which have been there for many many years, and don't want to feed them. I have a lot of a clear watery discharge that is always present, and do have pain on the left side and near the vagina area, which can be extreme like cramping. However, with just one Advil, it will go away and I feel great. I have a feeling my bio hormones got all messed up and my body is not clear what to do.

I've searched the internet, but can't seem to find out exactly what happens when a cyst ruptures. I realize that rupture would probably mean it explodes for a lack of a better word, and thought the discharge could be part of the rupture, or possibly a fibroid has degenerated.

Thanks for your informative posts!

dancing

Estria[/QUOTE]

Old 09-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Dancing,

I do not really think that a ruptured cyst explodes like a balloon. I believe it begins to leak fluid either quickly or slowly depending upon the situation.

The vaginal or cervical discharge that you are having could come from a number of things which include an infection. A pelvic infection would involve some pain which may lessen with Advil since Advil reduces inflammation.

Another reason might be the progesterone that you are taking. When we ovulate we usually have more than normal cervical mucus just before ovulation due to the estrogen and then after ovulation we still have more cervical mucus but this time due to the progesterone that is being released by the corpus luteum (the shell of the cyst that the egg came out of). Both times we have more CM and it is thicker than normal (although I cannot for the life of me tell which comes before and which comes after .. they both look the same to me and I just know that I am ovulating). Even though you are not ovulating, the progesterone may be causing more cervical mucus. Have you tried going "au naturel" and not taking anything just to see if this may be true ?

At any rate, I am sure that your doctor will have a look and be able to see why this is happening. All the best.

Estria

Old 09-14-2008, 10:34 PM   #14
(female)

dancing HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by estria View Post
Hello Dancing,

I do not really think that a ruptured cyst explodes like a balloon. I believe it begins to leak fluid either quickly or slowly depending upon the situation.

The vaginal or cervical discharge that you are having could come from a number of things which include an infection. A pelvic infection would involve some pain which may lessen with Advil since Advil reduces inflammation.

Another reason might be the progesterone that you are taking. When we ovulate we usually have more than normal cervical mucus just before ovulation due to the estrogen and then after ovulation we still have more cervical mucus but this time due to the progesterone that is being released by the corpus luteum (the shell of the cyst that the egg came out of). Both times we have more CM and it is thicker than normal (although I cannot for the life of me tell which comes before and which comes after .. they both look the same to me and I just know that I am ovulating). Even though you are not ovulating, the progesterone may be causing more cervical mucus. Have you tried going "au naturel" and not taking anything just to see if this may be true ?

At any rate, I am sure that your doctor will have a look and be able to see why this is happening. All the best.

Estria

Yes Estria, I have tried not taking progesterone; however, I seem to feel and sleep better with it, but it's possible the RX needs adjusting, so will talk to the Dr about it.

Thanks so much for taking your time, and I will continue to read your posts for further information about all our female issues that crop up over time.

dancing

Closed Thread