It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 12:01 AM   #1
(female)

healthgirl88 HB User
Heavy Flow

I have such a heavy flow period that most of the days of my period I have to wear a super tampon with a long super pad with wings. When I first got my period 5 years ago I thought it would lighten up as time went on. It didn't so I thought this was normal until it came up in conversation with my friends and none of them have to do this. I know everyone's flows are different (heck one of my friend's last only three days! where as mine last 7!) but should I be concerned that my period is ALWAYS this heavy and long?

Last edited by Mod-S4; 09-14-2008 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Read the stickies before posting on a board. This question did not belong on the women's sexual health board. Thread moved.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
(female)

rhiannon777 HB User
Re: Heavy Flow

Since your period is always that way, there's nothing to be concerned about...it's just what's normal for you. It's more a concern if someone has a light, three-day period then suddenly starts bleeding heavily for seven days. If it bothers you, you can go on birth control pills to make your period shorter and lighter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Your main concern should be anemia, if you are losing that much blood. Make sure you get enough iron to make up for the loss. As suggested, some birth control pills will reduce your periods, so that might be a good option.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
(female)

healthgirl88 HB User

Yea I have thought about going on birth control for a while now except some of my friends really hate the side affects of it. I never had a concern about my iron level, thank you for bringing that to my attention. I'll talk to my doctor about either going on the pill or maybe starting a regime of iron pills. Thanks for your responses!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

I'd see a Dr. about it if I were you. You might see your general practitioner and get a referral to a Gyno. That heavy of a flow may be an indicator of something or it may not. I am 38 and have a heavy flow that some days I can barely stand up without it feeling like a faucet was turned on. I do have fibroids though. My periods used to be "normal" and I could use a tampon and liner with no overflow issues and normal changes.

Definitely get the blood work for iron and ferritin levels.

Closed Thread