It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
How Long Before Cervical Cancer?

I was originally diagnosed with cervical dysplasia (doctor at the time said it was the lowest grade possible) in 2005. He tested me for HPV. It came out negative.

I still have it (most recent Pap in August this year) but I have switched to a naturopathic physician. We have tried several vaginal treatments which I cannot tolerate. I will be trying one more but if this is also intolerable, how long do I have before it goes into cancer?

This worry (I have anxiety as well) is with me night and day. It constantly intrudes on my thoughts and does not allow me to live my normal life.

Thank you for any information you can give me.

Lindaru

Old 09-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
(female)

hunnybunny09 HB User
Re: How Long Before Cervical Cancer?

I had severe dysplasia. I had a LEEP done and I've had 3 normal paps since. I also was instructed to get the Gardisil shot after my LEEP revealed it cleared all my dysplasia. Everyone of my friends have had low-grade dysplasia and have had to have a biopsy. It turns out that low-grade most all cases goes away on its own. Your next step should be a biopsy, if not then a new doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

LEEP was never mentioned. What is it, how painful is it and how long to recover? Will I be off my feet for months? It had been suggested by someone else on the boards once to just get everything removed but after viewing what some go through on the hysterectomy boards, I have decided that would be too expensive and I could not be laid up that long.

I am 51 and post-menopausal. Received my last Depo-Provera shot a week or so before FSH test came back with those results. Could having been on Depo-Provera for 15 years have caused the abnormalities? Once this wears out, could it go away?

Thanks.

Lindaru

Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

There is no definite timeline for cervical cancer, but you have to stay on top of it and undergo any procedure your doctor recommends in order to get rid of the bad cells. I'm not going to question the qualifications of your naturopath (I don't know much about them) but are you also going through the regular course of treatment for dysplasia, like colposcopy? Or have you been told to wait and see if it goes away? I'm figuring if you still have it after 3 years, your doc would be doing something to at least find out the cause, and since almost all dysplasia is caused by HPV, I'd be looking for a cause too.

For most cervical cancers, the speed it progresses (if it progresses) is determined by which strain of HPV has caused it, since some strains are worse than others, and how strong your immune system is.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

The doctor that first diagnosed it was a regular medical doctor who determined that the HPV was negative and said keep a watch on it. I was supposed to go back before but was scared to as the Pap smear he gave me cut me pretty badly and it took over a week to recover (pain and heavy bleeding).

I finally got up the nerve to try a naturopathic female doctor. She was indeed much gentler on this test and I did not have to recover from it. She said this test came out the same. We have tried Beta-PLEX (a heavy thick Vitamin A based syrup vaginally) that caused severe burning to my entire genitalia on the first try. We then tried high Vitamin A suppositories which actually made me feel like I had the flu though the burning did not last quite as long as the other.

She is now going to try me on calendula tea (I go in tomorrow to get the things I need for that) as a douche.

As far as I know, I have never been told I have any immune system problems or any auto-immune disorders.

Colposcopy . . . is that where they put you under general anesthesia and remove part of the cervix for biopsy? This stuff is all so new to me. Is it different from the LEEP?

Thanks.

Lindaru

Old 09-15-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

I talked with my doctor in person today (she had to give me the supplies and instructions on the douche).

I asked her about LEEP and she said I was a few stages away from it. I have what is called abnormal squamous cells (the lowest grade possible). She does not recommend having any biopsies or other procedures done unless it goes beyond CIN-1 and CIN-2.

I guess I do not have to start worrying so much yet. I wish she would have told me all of this before instead of letting my mind spin into over-drive. She knows I have anxiety.

Lindaru

Old 09-15-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

If she doesn't do a colposcopy with biopsy (no general anaesthetic necessary) how will she know if it goes beyond CIN-1 and CIN-2? You aren't going to get that info from a PAP test.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

This colposcopy . . . what exactly is it like to have it done? How long does it take? How long to recover? Will it completely get rid of all of the abnormal cells?

I will also have to find out if it is covered by insurance and if not, just how expensive it is (we are on disability income at our house).

Thanks.

Lindaru

Old 09-16-2008, 04:38 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

You need to be seeing a regular gyno dr. Im sure your current dr is great but if she is telling you dont need certain treatments without proper testing she isnt be through enough for your safety.

The ***** site has a lot of great info about Colposcopy with biopsy. Here is a direct link to the article.
[url]http://www.*****.com/cancer/cervical-cancer/colposcopy-and-cervical-biopsy[/url]

You can also find out more info on Leep through the ***** site. Granted wont beat personal experience but still helps to know the facts.
Also best way to find out if insurance covers it talk to your insurance provider or see if they have a site and see if it goes into detail on what they cover and dont cover.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 09-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Hi, Blastoff . . . I may have some problems with getting that done since I have chronic yeast infections (had one when the Pap was done) and also have very thin blood. Another problem is the nearest place that can do this procedure is over 100 miles away. Cannot imagine having that done and having to ride in a truck for over two hours on bumpy and winding mountain roads to get home.

It said it can cause cramping (likely will as just some Pap smears can do that to me) but is that only during the procedure or after as well?

Also, it did not say whether or not I would have to keep having it done every time I have an abnormal Pap smear and how we would know if the changes are because I am post-menopausal.

So much to think about but thank you for giving me that link so that I can better understand it.

Lindaru

Closed Thread