It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
(female)

dandilionsmile HB User
premenstural migranes???

Here's the deal: I have a fairly normal period. I get light cramps, take ibuprophen, drink water, etc. it lasts about four days. Not too bad. BUT, every three to four months, something terrible happens. I go to the bathroom, right at the begining of my period (first morning), then, about 10 minutes later I get really hot and feel like I HAVE to go to the bathroom - like I'll pee my pants. I get really warm and start to sweat and shake. I hurry to the bathroom and literally uranate, have diharriah, and blood (menstural blood) all at the same time. I'm shaking, cramping, crying, etc. Then I overwhelmingly need to throw up. I usually throw up three or four times. I get up, lie down, sweat and shake again for 20 minutes or so, going through waves of blinding pain and muscle relaxation, back and fourth. Then I get up and it all happens again - throwing up, etc. This lasts two or three hours. Sometimes four. I become completely dehydrated, exhausted, etc. Finally, still crampy, I eat a little bananna, take two ibuprofin, lie down on a bed and sleep for two hours.

This routine happens every three or four months. Up until yesterday I have always been at a house - mine, my friends, etc. - and have been able to lie down, or just sit on the toilet. Yesterday I was in Boston commons. I spent two hours in the public bathroom. If my cousin hadn't been there - giving me ice and a bag to throw up in - I don't know what I would have done. It was a really helpless scary feeling. I am frightened of this ever happening to me if I'm alone. I can't even describe the pain.

What could this be? Someone said premenstural migranes. Since this happens only every three months or so I DON'T want to be on birth control.

Still, it's scary and really really painful. I can't even express how painful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
(female)

darkwater HB User
Re: premenstural migranes???

I do this-have some kind of explosion of blood, urine and diarhhea-on the first day or two of my period. On that first day or two, I get to where I have to run to the bathroom to avoid wetting my pants, just no warning and then, boom, I have to go NOW. Except when I get there, I not only urinate, but do all that other stuff, too. I used to throw up when I was younger, but I don't do that any more. I feel feverish and sweaty. I have indigestion all day and I am full of strange, painful gas with no smell. I have done this for years, not every single period is it this bad, but maybe half of them. You can bet I know where every bathroom is all over town!

I have also always had terrible cramps every period. The only thing that helps is large doses of ibuprofen. 600-800mg every 5 hours is the only thing that keeps me functioning. I get up at night so that I don't miss a dose, because if I do, it seems to take several hours to get the pain under control again. I have heard that Aleve works for some people, also. But recently, the pain has started to break through the ibuprofen, so I think it may be time for me to talk with my doctor again.

I know a few women who seem to have premenstrual migraines. I have migraines, but I don't think they are premenstrual. I also have endometriosis, which is the culprit for many women who have these painful, really berzerk periods. Not that you have it, but you might check into the possibility with your doctor.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
(female)

jkmastel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandilionsmile View Post
Here's the deal: I have a fairly normal period. I get light cramps, take ibuprophen, drink water, etc. it lasts about four days. Not too bad. BUT, every three to four months, something terrible happens. I go to the bathroom, right at the begining of my period (first morning), then, about 10 minutes later I get really hot and feel like I HAVE to go to the bathroom - like I'll pee my pants. I get really warm and start to sweat and shake. I hurry to the bathroom and literally uranate, have diharriah, and blood (menstural blood) all at the same time. I'm shaking, cramping, crying, etc. Then I overwhelmingly need to throw up. I usually throw up three or four times. I get up, lie down, sweat and shake again for 20 minutes or so, going through waves of blinding pain and muscle relaxation, back and fourth. Then I get up and it all happens again - throwing up, etc. This lasts two or three hours. Sometimes four. I become completely dehydrated, exhausted, etc. Finally, still crampy, I eat a little bananna, take two ibuprofin, lie down on a bed and sleep for two hours.

This routine happens every three or four months. Up until yesterday I have always been at a house - mine, my friends, etc. - and have been able to lie down, or just sit on the toilet. Yesterday I was in Boston commons. I spent two hours in the public bathroom. If my cousin hadn't been there - giving me ice and a bag to throw up in - I don't know what I would have done. It was a really helpless scary feeling. I am frightened of this ever happening to me if I'm alone. I can't even describe the pain.

What could this be? Someone said premenstural migranes. Since this happens only every three months or so I DON'T want to be on birth control.

Re: premenstrual migraines. Over the past year I also have had migraines every month like clockwork. I don't experience all that you do-sounds really awful, but I have heavy bleeding and feel exhausted and have to sleep away at least one day. I am 40 and just found out it's not perimenopause but a "sensitivity to the hormone changes." I still don't get why things have changed. I am going to investigate all the natural helps. I heard potassium in bananas is good. It seems like there must be something to regulate the hormones better. Are you able to go on a pill?

Old 10-24-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
(female)

jkmastel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandilionsmile View Post

Re: premenstrual migraines. Over the past year I also have had migraines every month like clockwork. I don't experience all that you do-sounds really awful, but I have heavy bleeding and feel exhausted and have to sleep away at least one day. I am 40 and just found out it's not perimenopause but a "sensitivity to the hormone changes." I still don't get why things have changed. I am going to investigate all the natural helps. I heard potassium in bananas is good. It seems like there must be something to regulate the hormones better. Are you able to go on a pill?

Closed Thread