It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
(female)

frustratedwoman HB User
Questions about BV and Group B Strep

Hello all! I'm new to this board and I'm going out of my mind with being a woman. Can someone please help me?

I had BV about 8 years ago twice and medicine cleared it up...now I have been struggling with BV AGAIN for the past 3 months, closer to 4. It seems to be once a month. This last time at the gyn she gave me a script for Tindemax and I took it for a week. Then got the results back from my culture and I was diagnosed with Group B Strep so now I'm being treated for that with Amoxicillin (500mg every 8 hrs).

I've been reading about this online and its telling me that its common in pregnant women, well, I'm NOT pregnant! I can't find any useful info for it in non-pregnant women. Its VERY embarrassing because this is a new partner and its been happening since the first time we've had sex. Thankfully he is hanging in there with me, but it is freaking us both out. Is this something that we are passing back and fourth to each other? When will we be able to have normal healthy sex again without this coming back...EVER? Is there anything I can do to prevent it (diet, remedies, vitamins, etc...)?
Why and how am I getting it? In the future when I do decide to have children, will I pass it to my child?

My doc office is a zoo and I've been leaving messages for her but they tell me I need to make an appt to talk to her. I have bare min health insurance and I've used up all my visits allotted. I'm just really starting to freak out and I don't know where else to turn.

If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
(female)

mbbasketball HB User
Re: Questions about BV and Group B Strep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustratedwoman View Post
Hello all! I'm new to this board and I'm going out of my mind with being a woman. Can someone please help me?

I had BV about 8 years ago twice and medicine cleared it up...now I have been struggling with BV AGAIN for the past 3 months, closer to 4. It seems to be once a month. This last time at the gyn she gave me a script for Tindemax and I took it for a week. Then got the results back from my culture and I was diagnosed with Group B Strep so now I'm being treated for that with Amoxicillin (500mg every 8 hrs).

I've been reading about this online and its telling me that its common in pregnant women, well, I'm NOT pregnant! I can't find any useful info for it in non-pregnant women. Its VERY embarrassing because this is a new partner and its been happening since the first time we've had sex. Thankfully he is hanging in there with me, but it is freaking us both out. Is this something that we are passing back and fourth to each other? When will we be able to have normal healthy sex again without this coming back...EVER? Is there anything I can do to prevent it (diet, remedies, vitamins, etc...)?
Why and how am I getting it? In the future when I do decide to have children, will I pass it to my child?

My doc office is a zoo and I've been leaving messages for her but they tell me I need to make an appt to talk to her. I have bare min health insurance and I've used up all my visits allotted. I'm just really starting to freak out and I don't know where else to turn.

If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it .
I have been doing some searching myself. I went to my gyno for a follow up and he said I have BV. I did read that it could be an indication of iron deficiency anemia. I do have iron deficiency without the anemia. You may want to get your ferritin checked. Also I have read that if your partner has it, he could be giving it to you. He may not have symptoms, so it would be good to get him checked out too in the light that you only started getting this since you have a new partner.
I did not have any symptoms which is not unusual.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:14 AM   #3
(female)

frustratedwoman HB User

I went to 2 different doc's in my gyno's office and they both told me that what I have has nothing to do with my partner because its an overgrowth of bacteria inside of ME. I beg to differ. The last time I had BV 8 yrs ago, my ex-boyfriend was cheating on me so there's something to be said about that. I've been doing everything I can to boost my immune system so we'll see if this comes back again after I'm done these pills. I'd like to try the h2o2 wash but I don't know if I can do it with Group B strep? Is this just another form of BV?

I'm so lost and beside myself!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
(male)

kimmy24 HB User

ok now i am freaking out. i just found out i have gbs; i thought it was bv which i had 6 years ago when i was a permiscuous. now i have had a monogomous partner for the past 4 yrs and am wondering if he cheated on me. i treated myself w/flagil thinking this was bv. it is just a smell, no other symptoms. the flagil only worked for maybe 4-6wks and now it is back. i am not pregnant, nor have i ever been. everything i read says this is not std, but what the hell? why all of a sudden do i have it if i truly had bv years ago? help!

Old 09-21-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
(female)

frustratedwoman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmy24 View Post
ok now i am freaking out. i just found out i have gbs; i thought it was bv which i had 6 years ago when i was a permiscuous. now i have had a monogomous partner for the past 4 yrs and am wondering if he cheated on me. i treated myself w/flagil thinking this was bv. it is just a smell, no other symptoms. the flagil only worked for maybe 4-6wks and now it is back. i am not pregnant, nor have i ever been. everything i read says this is not std, but what the hell? why all of a sudden do i have it if i truly had bv years ago? help!

I feel ya...I don't get it either. I've been reading and reading and everything seems to have loose ends like BV. They can't explain how or why we get it, they say its not an STD, but then why do we only get it when we have sex?? It completely baffles me.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It's not an STD because you don't get it from a partner who is sick. Sex often triggers it, because you are causing irritation, possibly introducing new normal bacteria, possibly using spermicides, which damage your vagina's natural defenses.

BV can happen to women who are total virgins. Having BV does not mean your partner cheated.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
(female)

RaDaOr HB User

You should watch your sugar intake. Sugar attacks the immune system. It does this by destroying good bacteria in gut. This allows the GBS to get out of control which can cause an infection in the vaginal area and rectal area. Eliminating sugar and add probiotics to your diet. You can get them in pills from any pharmacy. Also add plain yogurt to your diet (with live cultures). All the other yogurts have sugar. Sugar is delicious..I love it..but it is destructive to our health and with too much in diet it will cause problems and this is one. It also can cause yeast in body by pretty much the same way. Is it possible that you keep getting reoccurances because the antiobiotics are killing ALL bacteria in gut, therefore allowing GBS to grow before good bacteria? ..especially if you still are eatting alot of sugar. Anytime you take any antibiotic you should take a probiotic a couple hours later (everytime). This way you are putting the good bacteria back into your gut. (This is why typically people get yeast infections after antiobiotic use..killing good bacteria.)
good luck.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
(female)

frustratedwoman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaDaOr View Post
You should watch your sugar intake. Sugar attacks the immune system. It does this by destroying good bacteria in gut. This allows the GBS to get out of control which can cause an infection in the vaginal area and rectal area. Eliminating sugar and add probiotics to your diet. You can get them in pills from any pharmacy. Also add plain yogurt to your diet (with live cultures). All the other yogurts have sugar. Sugar is delicious..I love it..but it is destructive to our health and with too much in diet it will cause problems and this is one. It also can cause yeast in body by pretty much the same way. Is it possible that you keep getting reoccurances because the antiobiotics are killing ALL bacteria in gut, therefore allowing GBS to grow before good bacteria? ..especially if you still are eatting alot of sugar. Anytime you take any antibiotic you should take a probiotic a couple hours later (everytime). This way you are putting the good bacteria back into your gut. (This is why typically people get yeast infections after antiobiotic use..killing good bacteria.)
good luck.

Wow thanks that's some great info I had no clue about. I'm going to get those today and see how things go.

Closed Thread