It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 07:33 AM   #1
(female)

dlynnel HB User
Endometrial Polyp: Scheduling a D&C

I need to have an endometrial polyp removed by D&C. For various reasons, I have a choice of waiting and within a few months having the procedure done on a Wednesday morning. Or I can have it done a week and a half from now, on a Friday afternoon.

Has anyone had surgery on a Friday afternoon? I saw an article once that said afternoon surgeries didn't always go as smoothly as morning ones. I'm 51, in perimenopause, and have heavy and prolonged bleeding. My doctor says she's not terribly worried about the results of a biopsy.

Better to wait and have it done when everyone, myself and staff, are at top form (and I won't have to go without eating for most of the day) or better to get it out just in case something further needs looking into? I'd be interested in a couple of opinions. Thanks.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:52 PM   #2
(female)

grattenbury HB User
Re: Endometrial Polyp: Scheduling a D&C

I would go for it as soon as you can. The waiting fo the results is awful, best to get it over with as soon as possible. I had an afternoon appointment (no problem ) I was put under general and within half an hour I was eating biscuits with a cup of tea. I was really scared but I wouldn't be again. He also told me whenI came around - no problems found. Makes you feel so much better.
Gilly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
(female)

jean64 HB User

I had a polyp removal and d & c done about 6 months ago. I was very nervous, but have to say it was no problem. I had no pain and very little bleeding. My doctor explained to me that when scheduling afternoon appointments, sometimes emergencies come in and since this procedure is not an emergency, you would get pushed back and have to wait around. I really don't think the outcome would be any different. Since polyps are almost never cancerous I don't think there is any harm in waiting, however it would probably be best to get it done right away and be done with the heavy bleeding. Good luck to you.
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynnel View Post
I need to have an endometrial polyp removed by D&C. For various reasons, I have a choice of waiting and within a few months having the procedure done on a Wednesday morning. Or I can have it done a week and a half from now, on a Friday afternoon.

Has anyone had surgery on a Friday afternoon? I saw an article once that said afternoon surgeries didn't always go as smoothly as morning ones. I'm 51, in perimenopause, and have heavy and prolonged bleeding. My doctor says she's not terribly worried about the results of a biopsy.

Better to wait and have it done when everyone, myself and staff, are at top form (and I won't have to go without eating for most of the day) or better to get it out just in case something further needs looking into? I'd be interested in a couple of opinions. Thanks.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:56 AM   #4
(female)

dlynnel HB User

Thank you both for your answers. This is a wonderful site. I appreciate the responses.

I still haven't been able to schedule the procedure as my periods have been erratic (thirty-one days, then fifteen days) and can be long. My gynecologist said that she didn't want me to be having my period during the procedure as she's going to use a scope during the d & c and wouldn't be able to see things if I'm on my period. She said that a little bit of spotting at the end of my period would be okay, though, I'm not sure what "a little bit" is. Anyone have any idea how much bleeding is too much?

Also, I've seen some articles that suggest that the scope is most helpful when used about a week after your period (I think the polyp shows up better then), but my doctor didn't specify that I should consider this in scheduling. Anyone have information about this?

Finally, my doctor told me to get an EKG and blood work for the procedure, but when I call GPs' offices, they tell me that they won't do a "pre-op" until I've scheduled a date for the procedure. Does anyone have any advice about getting the pre-op? My gynecologist said I should ask for a pregnancy test too, which seems like a waste of money. I'm fifty-one and will probably be having my period at the time the test is done. But I guess this can't be avoided. I can't even remember anymore how this test is done: is it a urine or a blood test?

Closed Thread