It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User
Vaginal infection and yogurt questions

Hi, I have a vaginal infection either Yeast or BV, I don't know. I tried over the counter for yeast and it's still here. If I do have BV, the med I had for it last time the cream (metrogel I believe) because I will not take the oral meds for it gave me a really painful reaction worse than before the med and I ended up with a SEVERE yeast infection and then had to take a round of cream for that just to begin to feel normal again.

Anyway this started as more of a dry, not enough lubrication type feeling and a slight burning and went to itching and burning. I thought it was the soap at first till it got worse. I haven't really had a discharge and honestly never really did when I was diagnosed by a Doc with either BV or YI. No fishy smell but did have a sort of smell more like yeast that left.

Still sore and itchy but not so much itchy now as it was before the yeast treatment.

Currently on my monthly which complicates matters.

I've been on three different rounds of antibiotics for dental issues this year, possibly 4 I just can't remember and this has been coming on again off again with more really milder symptoms than now for a few months but I didn't give it much thought. I'm sure my normal flora is way out of whack. I'm married 20 years so no new partners. I'd sure like to have my normal life back again without this pain.

Ok so I want to try yogurt. I am eating it but would like more info on inserting it. Are they any side effects other than the obvious mess lol. Has anyone had lasting help with it. There appear to have been studies done with some decent results. I want to try holistic before I go back and get another round of medication to mess more stuff up so I can take yet more meds and waste more life.

Thanks for any help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User
Re: Vaginal infection and yogurt questions

Anyone? I'm hoping someone will tell me if it worked for them or if it irritated the tissues or anything. I want to try it tonight. I'm in pain and have a burning dry feeling and I need some relief. I haven't heard of anyone having any weird reaction but I don't want to be up in the middle of the night with yogurt irritation I can't stop.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

I had to use a combination of natural yogurt and water to flush out a yeast infection when I was pregnant with my daughter. I just used one of those enema bags, there not very expensive and they do come with the different tips for either an enema or vagina. I just put a cup of yogurt to 3cups of water, lay down on your back in the bath tub and let it flow till it's running out. stop and wait, then let some more flow. It did help. Make sure the yogurt your using says live bacteria, no sugers, no added anything. Get a few of them and do it in the morning and at night. Get some pads also to catch any extra flowing stuff that comes out. Try your best to stay away from any sugars and starches. Drink plenty of water too. Eat yogurt also.

Plus, your hubby may have yeast on him if you've had sex with him and you had this infection. He can transfer it back into you. It is catchy. Might want to treat him with something, either the yogurt or the creams that are for this problem.

Hope this helps, Diana

Old 09-18-2008, 07:09 AM   #4
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into trying it that way. Last night I bit the bullet and got a clean applicator from a cream remedy and tried to use it. It sort of worked but the yogurt was difficult to get in the tube.

I was really worried it would cause internal irritation but it didn't thankfully! I'm ready for this to be gone!

I am eating yogurt daily now and also have cut my sugars waaaay back and am eating more veggies and trying to drink more water.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good luck, hope you find some relief soon, Diana

Old 09-18-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

Do you remember how long it took will you felt relief?

Old 09-19-2008, 03:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

It should happen fairly soon, as far as relief goes, but don't stop treatment. I would do it daily. For a week, then every other day, work your way down to nothing, see if the symptoms come back if they do Your problem with the yeast may be severe or mild, I don't know.

What happened when you went on the creams? Did you have a problem with those?

Old 09-19-2008, 08:56 AM   #8
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

I had additional irritation yesterday so I stopped the yogurt. I feel sick and nauseated and a host of other things since yesterday. Could be hormones on top of the infection I don't know. I made an appt and go to the clinic this afternoon.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:14 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's good your going in. I sounds like more than just a plain old yeast infection.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #10
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

Update...
I have bacterial vaginosis which I suspected. Yogurt inserted and taken orally is still a great therapy for that and I had hoped it would kick it out and who knows maybe with more time.

She said it's pretty bad so I am going to use the vaginal metro-gel. Problem is, and I couldn't get her to understand this, I will likely get a rip roaring yeast infection form the meds. I have been treated once before and same thing, had to go back in and retested and it was positive for yeast after the bacteria was knocked out. So I am going to try like heck to not get the yeast infection and keep eating yogurt. I also purchased a 4 pack of Dan active yogurt drink.

I really hate this

Old 09-21-2008, 05:03 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

timetoreclaim,

At least you found out exactly what is going on. Life sometimes forces us to take excellent care of our bodies. Not fun!

I'm sure once you get rid of the bacteria problem, it would definitely help to insert the yogurt and take it by mouth.

Are the meds your taking for the bacteria taken orally/by mouth?

Yeast infections sure can hurt. I usually get thrush which is a yeast infection in my mouth, every time I have to take an antibiotic. No Fun!!!

I do make my own home remedy for the thrush, it does work well. If you ever get a problem with a burning tongue with yellowish stuff on it, that's thrush.

Keep in touch let me know how things are going for you.
Huggs, Diana

Old 10-08-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

Well after the initial yeast cream, then diagnosis of BV and treatment with Metrogel I am STILL suffering with this. I went in MOnday to get it looked at again but they are growing it and I won't hear till Monday.

I'm still in pain and itching but now my anal area is inflamed really bad too. I was given a steriod cream for this.

I tried a yogurt solution last night and felt better most of the day till late afternoon when the pain flamed back up. I'm going to stick to the yogurt treatment for a few days and give it a fair chance because frankly I can't stand to have to try another cream as sore as I am and some of the side effects for the oral meds are a bit scary.

I'm also eating yogurt daily and drinking a cup of unsweetened cranberry juice daily.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:31 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

<a href="http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=622312">95% Improvement with VSL3</a>

cut,copy and paste this link into your browser and read this article, I think this may be a solution to your problem, it's a prescription, you'd need to print it out and bring it to your doctor, it would be much better than the treatments your on now. It's a higher powered friendly bacteria, the post on this is really interesting. Hope you take the time to read it and I wish you all the best. Diana

Closed Thread