It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
(female)

stacy918 HB User
Thumbs up Glabrata yeast

Hi, I believe I too have glabrata yeast. Had a yeast infection during the summer of 07 that lasted for four months that did not respond to anything, including boric acid. Responded to itraconazole for 3 weeks, then recurred. Gynazole finally cured it in October of 07. Now here it is August of 08, and I get another! Burning, no itch, hardly any discharge. Used a gynazole, clear for a week, reoccured after I had sex with my boyfriend. Could I already be resistant to gynazole? I am so scared I am going to have to deal with this awful burn for the rest of my life. I am 29 years old. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Persistent Yeast that is resistant to drugs

stacy918 - each time your were treated was your boyfriend treated too? Yeast can be passed back and forth. Guys aren't really interested in using treatments unless their partner is at them all the time, or applies it on their behalf

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
(female)

stacy918 HB User
Re: Persistent Yeast that is resistant to drugs

I have been treating him. We havent had sex for a couple weeks and now the burning is back. Came back yesterday. I can't win. I have been tested for everything under the sun, all negative. Treated myself with a gynazole at the end of August, was clear for only 10 days. Used a garlic clove two weeks ago, that kept me clear for almost two weeks. Now the awful burn is back. And I went through this last summer where I had yeast for almost 4 months. Nothing worked (monistat, diflucan, nizoral, itraconazole, terazol, nystatin, boric acid helped but did not cure it). After taking gynazole 1 last Oct. I was clear for 11 months. Now its back. Could I already be resistant to gynazole? I've only used it twice! I eat very little sugar or alcohol. Just went off the birth control pill right after this last yeast infection. And no antibiotics in a year and a half (even though before that I was on a long course for my skin which of course is what kicked this off). I don't know what to do now! Any suggestions?

Old 09-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
(female)

misty073 HB Usermisty073 HB User
Re: Glabrata yeast

I have been dealing with what seems like a yeast infection for 4 years straight. I have been to a few doctors, 2 gynos and a dermatologist all say I do not have a yeast infection ( I have been tested and still treated with yeast infection stuff and nothing works) I have given up on the doctors and their prescriptions (I have been prescribed hundreds of dollars worth of prescriptions but yet they dont know what is wrong)

I think it is yeast (I really want to see a naturalpath but cant afford to right now) the more I read about Candida, the more sure I am that it is a yeast infection. I dont think any of the prescription meds help because they are only helping the symptoms (well not for me) and not the problem. I have put myself on an anti yeast diet and I have started taking probiotics and oil of oregano ( I would like to interchange this with grapefruit extract...when I get a chance to buy some) I have also just done the garlic clove and saw results right away...now I think I just have to clear it out of my body and keep it out by not going back to my same eating habits, I also had two pregnancys close together and gestational diabetes with one add years of birthcontrol and bad eating and its no wonder I felt so crappy.

I would just suggest doing a search for yeast overgrowth and see how that relates to you.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Firstly, has your boyfriend been tested? Some males can have certain types of bacteria growing in the urethral opening and only a gram stain (sp?) test can check whether there is any bacterial growth living there which could be affecting you. Bacteria can grow there on a male and yet there wont be any visual symptoms.

Secondly, treating constant yeast infections vaginally is like applying a bandaid. Back in 1998 i had constant yeast infections which i thought had been cured. Each time i'd have sex with my husband it was so uncomfortable and would burn. I'd be in tears from the pain.

No doctors would help me. They kept telling me to use creams, pessaries etc vaginally, but it never worked for long. It was driving me insane. A friend of our family then told us about an alternate doctor and i went to see him. He tested me and found i had a candida overgrowth in my stomach. He put me on probiotics, good brand of multivitamin and banned certain foods/drinks from my diet for a month. I wasn't allowed any alcohol, no grapes or melon, no sugar in any form, no yeast, no wheat, no dairy, no coffee. The yeast had to be starved and killed off in the gut. That cured me forever and i've never looked back. These days i'll only take antibiotics if i'm on my deathbed and i always take probiotics while i'm on the antibiotics. Sometimes i even take a course of probiotics even if i'm not on antibiotics. Just make sure you take probiotics on an empty stomach and wait at least half an hour before eating so they have time to do their job.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
(female)

stacy918 HB User

Hi everyone! This all came about two years ago when I went on a course of doxycyline (sp.?) for my skin for 4 months (Sept-Dec of 06) for my sister's wedding. What a mistake. That set off a recurring yeast infection that started in January of 07. I would get it every month and treat it with Monistat and Diflucan. Then at the end of June of 07, that "itch" all of a sudden turned to a "burn". Tried everything....terazol, monistat, nystatin, even boric acid. My doc at the time gave me 12 diflucan last summer which I believe contributed to this problem by killing off all the normal yeast and giving me this glabrata. I had this infection for four months until I switched docs (twice!) and this nurse gave me gynazole 1. That took care of it, but only after I had used the garlic.
Well no antibiotics, and almost one year later, I had not had another yeast infection. I'm not sure what I did differently, but I got that burn again Aug 25, 2008. Went to doc, once again no "yeasty" discharge, treated myself with gynazole, symptoms came back as soon as I had sex with my boyfriend. Used a garlic clove which cleared me up for 2 more weeks....No sex....and I was burning again last friday. Inserted another garlic clove, took the burn away, I may use another gynazole when it comes back.
I am seeing an alternative health nutritionist. No coffee, sugar, etc. Put me on supplements and wants to do a liver flush.
This is breaking my bank account and sending me into debt but I do not care.

What puzzles me is that I was clear for 11 months, and then it came back with a vengence (sp?) no antibiotic use? Odd, I thought I was rid of it.
Only factor I could think of was birth control pills, which I stopped 3 weeks ago with this latest yeast infection. So now I have been bleeding on top of all of this....

I read several articles which state that the "burn" is more common than the "itch" with the glabrata strains, and also that it is very difficult to diagnose becuase of the lack of discharge, which is exactly the case with me.
Because of my past history however, this is the case with me and I know it.

My question is...with the nutritionist help, because do we really have a yeast overgrowth or just a strain that is impossible to treat???

And i have read a lot about flucyosine (sp.) and fungizone cream, not widely available. Has anyone ever tried it before?

Old 09-24-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
(female)

alexis1234 HB User

HI Stacey,

I have the glabrata too. I have found that it is taking a while to treat too. Difulacan didn't work, nor did terazol. I feel like for me to answer your question it is a yeast overgrowth and a difficult to treat type of yeast.

And yup...not too much discharge. Nor is the discharge that is there typical...whatever is there doens't look thick and cottage cheesy. And yes, the burn is there too. The itch just started for me.

A couple women have suggested gynatren and yeast arrest which I believe is boric acid related. Also an enzyme called candex which they said helps.

Someone in my family swears that after years of a yeast that nothign cured, yogurt applied directly did.

Question for you...When you used the garlic...did you wrap it is a gauze or something. That is somethign I might try.

Alexis

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy918 View Post
Hi everyone! This all came about two years ago when I went on a course of doxycyline (sp.?) for my skin for 4 months (Sept-Dec of 06) for my sister's wedding. What a mistake. That set off a recurring yeast infection that started in January of 07. I would get it every month and treat it with Monistat and Diflucan. Then at the end of June of 07, that "itch" all of a sudden turned to a "burn". Tried everything....terazol, monistat, nystatin, even boric acid. My doc at the time gave me 12 diflucan last summer which I believe contributed to this problem by killing off all the normal yeast and giving me this glabrata. I had this infection for four months until I switched docs (twice!) and this nurse gave me gynazole 1. That took care of it, but only after I had used the garlic.
Well no antibiotics, and almost one year later, I had not had another yeast infection. I'm not sure what I did differently, but I got that burn again Aug 25, 2008. Went to doc, once again no "yeasty" discharge, treated myself with gynazole, symptoms came back as soon as I had sex with my boyfriend. Used a garlic clove which cleared me up for 2 more weeks....No sex....and I was burning again last friday. Inserted another garlic clove, took the burn away, I may use another gynazole when it comes back.
I am seeing an alternative health nutritionist. No coffee, sugar, etc. Put me on supplements and wants to do a liver flush.
This is breaking my bank account and sending me into debt but I do not care.

What puzzles me is that I was clear for 11 months, and then it came back with a vengence (sp?) no antibiotic use? Odd, I thought I was rid of it.
Only factor I could think of was birth control pills, which I stopped 3 weeks ago with this latest yeast infection. So now I have been bleeding on top of all of this....

I read several articles which state that the "burn" is more common than the "itch" with the glabrata strains, and also that it is very difficult to diagnose becuase of the lack of discharge, which is exactly the case with me.
Because of my past history however, this is the case with me and I know it.

My question is...with the nutritionist help, because do we really have a yeast overgrowth or just a strain that is impossible to treat???

And i have read a lot about flucyosine (sp.) and fungizone cream, not widely available. Has anyone ever tried it before?

Old 09-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #8
(female)

stacy918 HB User

Hi! Odd that you mentioned gynatren, I just found it on a search and was going to ask about it. I am going to try it, even as maintenance.
The garlic does work, and what I did was go to the vitamin store and buy garlinase capsules. It was like 35 dollars but you get a lot. No outer shell it is just a capsule that dissolves. Helped like a miracle! I've been using 1 of those every other night, then I pull what is left out in the am. The other nights, I have been inserting probiotic pills (fem dopholis) internally. Garlic will kill both bacteria and yeast so it is important to replenish. Also I take one pill daily.
I am now seeing a nutritionist and he says it is very good for you.

Alexis, have you ever tried the gynazole 1? The YI I had a year ago (the never ending four month yeast) was cured when I used a garlic tablet, followed by the gynazole a few days later.

This is a terrible thing for a 30 year old to deal with, glad I have people who can relate. Thanks!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
(female)

alexis1234 HB User

Hey STacey,

Just to make sure...you put the garlinase inside your vj?

I havne't tried the gynazole? Actually is that an over the counter thing?

Now I am on nystatin oral to see if that helps. What it has done is to reduce a lot of bloating (basically got rid of it) I have so I must have the glabrata in my intestines. I think that that is why my doc. presribed it too since we are having a difficult eliminating it. Probably getting reintroduced all the time since the creams are local. Here and there I apply the yogurt too. I am on the verge of trying the boric acid.

Aside from the candex, the gynatren, yogurt, and yeast arrest, I read that some women use tea tree oil successfully and gentian violet...but I have been hesitant and haven't looked into those too much. Someone also mentioned to me in terms of a prescribed thing...sponorax...but I don't know the risks of those.

The gynatren...someone recommended it highly to me since it is the boric acid plus a probiotic included and she said that this was the only thing that stopped a years long yeast infection. they used to sell it at my whole foods but they had said that they would order it if I wanted.

Did you test for diabetes? That was the first thing my doc did.I am neg. but apparently a lot who have the glabrata has it.

It is totally frustrating, but the good news is that we have doc. who tested for it! Since there isn't that much discharge I think it prob. is overlooked for a lot of people.

Alexis

Quote:
Hi! Odd that you mentioned gynatren, I just found it on a search and was going to ask about it. I am going to try it, even as maintenance.
The garlic does work, and what I did was go to the vitamin store and buy garlinase capsules. It was like 35 dollars but you get a lot. No outer shell it is just a capsule that dissolves. Helped like a miracle! I've been using 1 of those every other night, then I pull what is left out in the am. The other nights, I have been inserting probiotic pills (fem dopholis) internally. Garlic will kill both bacteria and yeast so it is important to replenish. Also I take one pill daily.
I am now seeing a nutritionist and he says it is very good for you.

Alexis, have you ever tried the gynazole 1? The YI I had a year ago (the never ending four month yeast) was cured when I used a garlic tablet, followed by the gynazole a few days later.

This is a terrible thing for a 30 year old to deal with, glad I have people who can relate. Thanks!

Old 09-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
(female)

stacy918 HB User

nope, I am not diabetic and have been tested for everything under the sun. Gynazole 1 is not over the counter. Call your doc and have him call it in for you. Its a one dose, and it did cure me with my first glabrata infection (this is my 2nd) I was clear for 11 amazing months!. And yep I put the garlinase in my vj...lol....but it helped...and quickly. Garlic will kill bacterial and yeast so it helps even if you have a "mixed infection".

I actually ordered the gynastren. They ship it next day on ice for 12 dollars since it is perishable and has to stay cold. I figure I can use one or two suppositories a week now that the garlic has it under control.

What preceded this for you Alexis? Birth control, antibiotics?

Last edited by moderator2; 09-25-2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 09-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #11
(female)

alexis1234 HB User

Hey Stacey,

Actually it is a long story...and sounds like you. I think it all started with antibiotics for acne back in the day. Very dumb, not really needed at all. Went through many years in school with yeast infections here and there after that, but they would go away rather soon and were mostly annoying but not like this. But I would get them often. I was given diflucan all the time. Meanwhile, no cultures were done. They would look under the microscope. My boyfriend was never treated that could also have played a part. I was ok for a few years after that long cycle.

The latest...is combination of bcp and antibiotics. I had to be on bcp for hemorraging cyst that is very slowly resolving but painful and the alternative doesn't sound fun...and from what I read even the low dose bcp which i am on contribute. Apparently its a myth that the low dose isn't an issue. Then the antibiotics. Then just a bunch of doctors who would give me
diflucan without doing cultures. So like all the right conditions.

The other thing is thyrioid issues. You tested for that? I don't remember did what did you say preceded this one for you? I would notice that my symptoms got worse after eating something carby...so I do know it wasn't just in my... you know...vj Maybe you too?

I think I am going to try the garlic...

What does your doc say is the next step in treatment?

The good news is that I read about people who have it and the end of the day after a thousand trials they get cured!

Alexis

Last edited by moderator2; 09-25-2008 at 05:56 PM. Reason: please do not quote posting rules violations so that you are not making more work for the moderators

Old 09-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #12
(female)

stacy918 HB User

Alexis try the garlic (one pill) and ask for a script for gynazole 1. Then use a few days later.
No my thyroid has not been tested. I sometimes think it may be overactive. I am going to get tested.
Yep your story sounds a lot like mine. How old are you? I just turned 30 and it is typically in late 20s that this problem really manifests.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #13
(female)

stacy918 HB User

Alexis sorry a couple more things: how long have you been going thru this? and why hasn't your doc prescribed gynazole for you yet? He hasn't mentioned it at all? It took me 4 months to find a doc who knew about gynazole and it was a life saver last year. And yes, I just went off the birth control pill. I believe even the low dose ones contribute to this problem.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:47 AM   #14
(female)

alexis1234 HB User

Hi Stacey,

I am in my thirties too.

I think that there is one post on this board where a woman had glabrata and then finally got rid of it after addressing her thyriod issues.

I tried just the garlic clove itself since i didn't have time last night to get to the store and ummm....it was painful!!! Will go your route and find the garlinase. That isn't irritating to you right?

Alexis

Quote:
Alexis try the garlic (one pill) and ask for a script for gynazole 1. Then use a few days later.
No my thyroid has not been tested. I sometimes think it may be overactive. I am going to get tested.
Yep your story sounds a lot like mine. How old are you? I just turned 30 and it is typically in late 20s that this problem really manifests.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:52 AM   #15
(female)

alexis1234 HB User

Hey Stacey,

With when I tested for the glabrata maybe two years....

No gynazole. I wonder if that is close to terazol. Tried that. It helps but didn't cure it. I'll bring that up. My doc wants to go methodologically through the diff. presc. I am lucky with this doc. No one else tested for it. No one suspected since there isn't a lot of discharge.

I have to stay on the bcp because of the cyst. It caused me so much pain last year I was screaming top of my lungs. The low dose is now helping but slowly...Once that gets resolved, I want to quit the bcp forever.

Alexis

Quote:
Alexis sorry a couple more things: how long have you been going thru this? and why hasn't your doc prescribed gynazole for you yet? He hasn't mentioned it at all? It took me 4 months to find a doc who knew about gynazole and it was a life saver last year. And yes, I just went off the birth control pill. I believe even the low dose ones contribute to this problem.

Closed Thread