It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
(female)

sbu91 HB User
Ovarian Cyst and Late Period

Hi everyone. I had my yearly ob/gyn appointment last week and during that exam my doctor said she felt a 'mass' on my right side. I went for an ultrasound and they said I have a cyst in my right ovary and a small fibroid in my uterus. My doctor's office said this is pretty common and the cyst should go away on it's own. They don't plan to do anything about it, since I haven't had any symptoms related to the cyst.

I'm now 1 day late for my period (and I'm not pregnant) and I wonder if this could be related to the cyst. In the past 2 years, I've only been late 1 time. I'm almost always 1 or 2 days early, so I'm a little worried. I also have some dull pain (on and off) on the side where the cyst is.

Has anyone had any experience with having a cyst and a late or missed period? Is this normal?

Old 09-25-2008, 05:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Ovarian Cyst and Late Period

Hello sbu,

I assume that the cyst was a simple fluid filled cyst that is smaller than 5 cm ? If this is the case then it is most likely a functional follicular cyst that ALL premenopausal women get every single month. These functional cysts (called so because they perform a regular bodily function) carry your eggs and open up to release an egg into the fallopian tube every month. Then they regress back into the ovary and begin to grow again at the start of your period. Sometimes the "shell" of the follicular cyst that has just opened closes off and fills up with liquid. When this happens, you develop another type of cyst called a corpus luteal cyst. This also goes away in a few cycles. Many women (including myself as of a year ago) do not know that our bodies do this and when we are diagnosed with cysts we start to worry but most often this is just a normal functioning of our bodies.

In my case, my 8 cm simple fluid filled cyst has been around for over a year so they are not sure if it is a functional cyst or a more abnormal type of cyst like a cyst you would get anywhere else on your body. Since it is filled with fluid they are not as concerned and I go for ultrasounds every 6 months to keep a close eye on it. I imagine that in your case they will want to do a followup ultrasound in about 3 months time to make sure that it is no longer present.

As for your period being one day late, don't worry too much about this. I too am always on time but once in a blue moon, my period will arrive one to two days later than normal. It may have something to do with the cyst because you will get your period approximately 14 days after you ovulate (ie. after the cyst releases its egg). Ovulation occurs between 10 and 15 days after the start of your period. I always have ovulation pain and know more or less when I am ovulating so I am able to calculate more accurately when my period will arrive. If you have ovulated a day or two later (which is not at all unusual) then your period will also come later. Sometimes these things are also tied to the moon and the seasons because our female bodies are closely tied to the cycles of nature. Try to compare your menstrual cycle to the phases of the moon and you will see that there is a connection. You will usually know when you are ovulating because you will have thicker than normal cervical mucus (it is kinda sticky and looks a lot like egg whites) .. this is due to the hormones that you are producing at this time (more estrogen before ovulation and more progesterone after you ovulate).

All this to say that you will most likely get your period very soon so hang in there and try not to worry.

Take care and all the best.

Estria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread