It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
(female)

bkdinsc HB User
Rectocele Repair Long-term Results

Hi, I'm considering rectocele repair and am trying to learn more about the surgical options and pros-cons of having it done. I've read numerous posts from women who have had the surgery and are in the early stages of healing. Most seem to have had a lot of pain, complications, and/or difficulty with sexual relations in the early post-op phases (3-6 months post-op). I would be interested to hear what results women have had longer-term--a year or more post-op. Was it worth it? Does sexual intercourse feel the same, better, or worse compared to before the surgery? Has anyone had any long-term complications or had to have the surgery re-done later?
I have had my rectocele since the birth of my first son 13 years ago, but after the birth of my last child, three years ago, it has been significantly worse--I have to push the rectocele out of my vagina and back into the rectal wall every time I have a BM in order to "empty" it. Also, when we have intercourse I'm scared to death the pressure is going to cause me to have a BM accident and I can't relax enough to enjoy it. I'm 42 and have a three-year old, plus two older kids to take care of, so I'm also worried about being able to rest enough after surgery.
Any experiences you can share would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 10-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
(female)

40stinks HB User
Re: Rectocele Repair Long-term Results

Hi, I had a rectocele repair done in 2000. It was the best thing that I ever did. I had divorced my husband a year earlier, and we had a 4 year old child together. I just thought that things were "looser" after having a child vaginally. When I entered another relationship, I realized that something was not right. I went to see my OB/gyn and she told me I had a rectocele and needed to have surgery to repair it. I had the surgery and it only took about 2 weeks to recover, with no intercourse for 6 weeks. It was like having my virginity back. The repair has held very well and I have since had another child, she is 4 years old now, but of course I had her via c-sectiion. I would advise that you make sure you have a skilled GYN surgeon that has done this surgery many times before. As severe as yours sounds, I would definitely do it. It will change your life. It did mine. Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
(female)

morgsma HB User

How long did you have to be out of work following your surgery? I was diagnosed with rectocele about 6 months ago and it has progressed rapidly, i think I now have enereocle and cystocle (lucky me!!) but am awaiting getting insurance from my new job before I can go back to the Dr.

I feel like everything is about to fall out and have big trouble with bowels now (I'm only 28!) But will not be in the position to take a lot of time off of work. Just wondering what return to work time was for you. I basically have a desk job, but do a lot of local travel so lifting and things would not be an issue.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:04 AM   #4
(female)

hystersurvivor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdinsc View Post
Hi, I'm considering rectocele repair and am trying to learn more about the surgical options and pros-cons of having it done. I've read numerous posts from women who have had the surgery and are in the early stages of healing. Most seem to have had a lot of pain, complications, and/or difficulty with sexual relations in the early post-op phases (3-6 months post-op). I would be interested to hear what results women have had longer-term--a year or more post-op. Was it worth it? Does sexual intercourse feel the same, better, or worse compared to before the surgery? Has anyone had any long-term complications or had to have the surgery re-done later?
I have had my rectocele since the birth of my first son 13 years ago, but after the birth of my last child, three years ago, it has been significantly worse--I have to push the rectocele out of my vagina and back into the rectal wall every time I have a BM in order to "empty" it. Also, when we have intercourse I'm scared to death the pressure is going to cause me to have a BM accident and I can't relax enough to enjoy it. I'm 42 and have a three-year old, plus two older kids to take care of, so I'm also worried about being able to rest enough after surgery.
Any experiences you can share would be helpful. Thanks!
My advice is to see a colorectal surgeon that has done the surgery many times. Last Jan I had it repaired by a gyne and now I cannot have sex without pain. I've had three surgeries to finally get it fixed and to fix complicatons. It has been a miserable year and I wished I had seen the colorectal surgeon first.

Closed Thread