It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #1
(female)

nelsonhallgal HB User
Exclamation Strange ultrasound today - please compare notes!!!!

I had an ultrasound today for my left ovary, I have had left sided pain,and my doctor ordered the scan. I know the tech isn't supposed to tell you anything, but I asked anyway. I asked throughout the entire scan. The full-bladder part, she said she couldn't find my ovaries, because of my tangle of intestines. After I emptied my bladder, she did the trans-vaginal scan. She had the same problem. On the left side, the scan was ultra-painful. I mean ultra-painful. She couldn't find my ovaries!!! She asked if I had taken any hormones at all (I'm 49) and I told her no. She said my ovaries were hidden amongst my intestines completely. I have had a partial hysterectomy, my uterus and cervix due to adenomyosis in '99. She said it would take 24 to 48 hours for the report to get to my doctor, now I'm really worried and puzzled too? Has anyone ever encountered anything like this at all? The tech said maybe they would order an MRI or laparoscope or something?? Geez!

Old 10-22-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User
Re: Strange ultrasound today - please compare notes!!!!

I don't have much information. However, my experience is that results are back sooner than 48hrs and sometimes less than 24. The bottleneck is usually at the Dr's office. they have to receive them, review them, have the Dr. signoff then someone has to take the time to call you....all this in between patients. So, depending on how aggressive you want to be, you can:

1. Call your Dr's office and ask them to call for the results
2. Find out what the hospital's policy is on getting your records. I've learned that the hospital I go to will give you a copy if you go to the records dept. I've had a test in the morning and then have gone to records in the afternoon and walaa! the results were there

Now, you're getting close to the weekend so if you call the Dr's office, you may want to start early in the morning in order to get a result before having to go through the weekend wondering.

Hope this helps a bit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I just saw this thread. I asked how your appointment went in the other thread, so just ignore that questions :smacking forehead:

Mommyandwifey gave you some great advice. I ALWAYS call early to see if the results are in. I figure that way I get the results while I'm expecting to hear them and not when they just call me out of the blue.

I've heard of other women describing ovaries that are hiding, also. When you call your doctor's office for the report on the U/s, ask what they think the next step will be.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:39 AM   #4
(female)

nelsonhallgal HB User

Thank you all for your replies. I just got a call from my doctor's office. They said that I had lots of loops of bowels, and that the scan was "normal" other than that. They made no mention of the fact that they couldn't find my ovaries. They wanted to prescribe an anti-spasmodic for my bowels. should I take this to my gynecologist? The pain isn't spasmodic in nature, it is positional when I lie down on my side at night mostly. I am not trying to be overly cautious but is this normal?

Closed Thread