It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
(female)

Whoop25 HB User
Bacterial Vaginosis?? Please help??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,

I had a few tests done about 2 months ago. As i have been getting dryness, swollen vagina, painful urination after sex. The swabs came back saying that I did not have a yeast infection or Chlamidia, and that I have Bacterial Vaginosis. The doc then sent me away with metronidazole which I took twice a day for 7 days. However when i was having some ME time, after i notice that i was in pain and that my vagina was rather swollen all round. So off i went to the doctors again, where this time the doc gave me some Flagyl tabs which i inserted twice a day of 5 days. Once again after stopping this treatment i had some more me time, in which i had NO pain or any of the symptons i had before. However today I had some more ME time (im not crazy, just like me time! and had a little bit of swelling at the front of my vagina, and slight pain. Could this be BV coming back??? Also when i had swabs done would they have checked for Trich??? could it have been mis-diagnosed as they do both have the same symptons?? Really annoyed as this has been going on for months. Should i go back to the doc and ask for more Flagyl??

Thanks for reading

Old 03-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
(female)

krlsgrl HB User
Re: Bacterial Vaginosis?? Please help??

I have read that Bacterial Vaginosis can be recurrent, and that things like stress can cause it to come back. People do contract BV even if they don't have sexual contact. Sometimes things like birth control pills can make BV recur more often. I have also heard of dr giving patient with recurring BV a prescription of Flagyl to take one time a week every week, as a preventive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

krlsgrl is correct. In addition, when taking antibiotics you shouldn't consume alcohol while you are taking the meds or have dairy products at the time you take your meds as they make them less effective. You should also take a probiotic as the antibiotic for the BV can lead to a yeast infection. Abstaining from sex so that things can heal properly is another idea.

BV is extremely common. I don't know exactly why some are more susceptible to BV. I've had it occur when no sex was even involed and i've had it occur randomly within days after sex. I have gotten into a habit of washing down there with some lukewarm water after sex "just in case" and it has helped a lot.

Some say there could also be a connection between scented tampons/pads, using soaps down there, leaving a tampon inside for longer than required, some men could have a more acid ejaculation fluid which disturbs our delicate PH blance, our hormonal change prior to our period can also change the PH balance and bring on BV. The reasons are too numerous.

For me personally, a dose of oral Flagyl (metronidazole) tablets does the trick. My doctor has told me the oral tablets are more effective than vaginal creams etc. I'm not sure whether this is true or not. It likely depends on the individual. I've never had the severe symptoms you described. Mine is only like a nuisance watery type of discharge, sometimes it can smell, other times it wont and that's about it. I simply use a panty liner at these times until it's over. This is why i wonder whether your symptoms are a mixture of BV and yeast as that can happen. Sometimes the swabs they culture can come back as false negatives. When i used to go to my gp or a pathology place for swabs, they always came back negative. I now visit a womens sexual health clinic where they do the swabs and culture them on the premises while i wait for my result and i don't have any more problems with "negative" results. So your negative for yeast could possibly be correct. I would hope they would have tested for trich. They should also be checking for chlamydia and syphilis as a preventative measure as a lot of STD's have discharge as a symptom.

I hope you feel better soon as it's really a pain living with abnormal discharge.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
(female)

angela5271 HB Userangela5271 HB User

read the sticky post about bv...quick and easy cure peroxide & water douche. Yes, doctors say do not douche...but after reading the sticky and trying it myself I will not go back on antibiotics for bv.

Good Luck to you.

Closed Thread