It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
(female)

sisildg HB User
ovarian remnant syndrome

Has anyone ever been diagnosed with this? I was wondering if the remnant of ovary can produce estrogen. I had my ovaries removed 11 years ago and have been on estrogen replacement ever since. Now I found out I have an ovarian cyst on an ovarian remnant. Seems to be if the ovary can produce a cyst then why not estrogen? The doc says it can't produce estrogen. I don't think I believe it. Anyone know?

Old 11-05-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: ovarian remnant syndrome

Hello,

Well that's quite interesting. Why on earth do you have an ovarian remnant in the first place if your ovaries were supposed to have been removed ? I was under the impression that they simply snipped them off so there should not be any remnants. Are they sure that this is what it is ? Do you still have your tubes and uterus ?

Like you I would have a tendency to believe that if a remnant can produce a cyst it would also produce estrogen and testosterone (and the other hormones it produces). Perhaps a hormonal test might be in order to check your levels and adjust them as necessary. Are you having any symptoms that would point towards a hormonal imbalance (mood swings, bowel issues, temperature changes etc..) ?

This sounds a bit fishy. I would definitely get a second opinion on this one and perhaps another ultrasound just to be sure that this is what was seen and not something else (like a cyst on a kidney or something which are also very common).

Sorry I cannot be of any more help. Just thought I would offer my two cents worth.

Best,

Estria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
(female)

sisildg HB User

Thanks for your reply. I do not have a uterus or tubes either. I developed a kidney stone and while talking to the urologist about the ct scan that found the stone, she casually mentioned that I have a cyst on my ovary. I explained that I didn't have ovaries and she said to followup with my gyn. I called the radiologist who read the report and he could not explain it. Went to the gyn and had a sonogram which clearly showed a cyst and part of the ovary. The gyn told me not to worry, come back in 6 months and have another sonogram. I went to my family doctor for a referral to another gyn for a 2nd opinion. He stated that there is a diagnosis called ovarian remnant syndrome. I've researched it and it's exactly what they are saying. I guess my next step is to go back to my gyn and request a hormone level. I have been on a hormone replacement patch for 11 years due to having a total hysterectomy (ovaries included) 11 years ago. I've had no further problems and wouldn't even know about this if it were not for my kidney stone. It's really crazy. I can't find enough info on this syndrome and the dr.'s are just blowing it off. I was hoping someone else had heard of it.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello,

I seriously think that someone did not do their job properly. If your doctor was supposed to remove your ovaries then there should not be any "remnants", particularly remnants large enough to grow cysts. I hope that you have not been "overdosing" on hormones .. I imagine that you would have had symptoms and that your remaining ovarian remnant, if it was active, would adjust to the added hormones. You still want to be sure that you are not taking too much estrogen as this is not a good thing.

Don't let these idiots blow you off. It is quite obvious to me that someone did not remove both of your ovaries as they should have and perhaps it will take the looming shadow of a law suit to get them off their keesters (!). Be your own health advocate and help yourself.

Take care.

Estria

Closed Thread