It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
(female)

DesperatePerson HB User
Pressured by doctor to start birth control pill

I have an equal fear of getting pregnant and going on the birth control pill. Quite the dilemma.

I've had persistent yeast infection symptoms for a year now. Today, I went to my doctor, and she said she saw only one strand of yeast (or one yeast bud; I don't remember how she phrased it) and that my symptoms (discharge) could actually be normal. She said that starting Loestrin 1.5/30 could possibly lessen the amount of discharge.

Every time I see her, she pressures me to start the pill, and while I know there are a number of benefits, there are also a lot of possible negative side effects.

I don't want any more trouble with yeast infections, unusual hair loss or growth, decreased sex drive, or acne, and I don't want to experiment with pills just to find the one that won't give me these side effects.

My boyfriend uses condoms. And we're so paranoid about getting pregnant that even if I went on the pill, he'd still use condoms.

Condoms are said to be around 97% effective. Are they really not enough? Am I hurting myself by not going on the pill, or am I right in questioning my doctor? Has anyone else been pressured like this? What did you do?

Old 11-07-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User
Re: Pressured by doctor to start birth control pill

I've been pressured concerning other types of pills and in fact blackmailed that the Dr. would do no further tests unless I tried such and such a pill first.

You do what is right for YOU and switch Dr.s if the pressure continues.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
(female)

cantenjoy21 HB User

Well ladies I dont know if this helps one bit but heres another outcome...

i am ON birth control and since I have been I have been getting yeast infections and I NEVER HAD ONE BEFORE. I cant even get them to go away now, Im in so much pain lately that I can no longer have sex!! The doctors say there is nothing there and send me on home....Who is to say its the pill maybe I do have diabetes.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 12-24-2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Off topic question removed. Please start a new thread for your question and let the original be answered in this thread.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

They say there's nothing there? Meaning they've done wet mount and found no yeast? Have you used yeast treatments? Creams or pills? If you are still using a cream, it could actually be adding to your irritation.

Might you have something called vulvodynia? Look it up, ask if you have questions.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Watersigh HB User

If you search the internet for increased yeast infections and birth control pill, you'll see the pill actually causes more yeast infections. That's why it's not a good idea to get on the pill for that purpose.

As for the condoms, I've been using only condoms since I quit the pill over 2 years ago and I'm not having any problems. It sounds like your bf knows how to use them so I don't think you need to worry about it. I'm paranoid about getting pregnant too because I hate kids and I don't want any, but I use the condoms every single time and I try not to have sex when I know I'm close to ovulating. It has been working for me. And they are effective when used correctly.

Don't let any doctor bully you into going on the pill if you don't want to. Some women love being on the pill but I hated it. And by the time I quit, I was so annoyed with being on the pill that you couldn't pay me to take another one for all the money in the world. I was fed up with it. And if you don't want to take the pill, don't do it. The pill won't help your yeast problem. You're much better off getting a really good quality probiotic supplement like Natren's Healthy Trinity or even Florajen, and take that regularly to control the bacteria in your body. It will make a huge difference in your problem.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

When you've got symptoms and negative cultures, it could be something other than an infection. The skin of your vulva is very sensitive.

If you think it could be chemical, go no-chemical. No spermacide, no douche, wear only white cotton underwear washed in hot water with sensitive skin detergent, no bleach, no softener. Avoid swimming in chlorine, hot tubs are particularly bad. Use unscented menstrual products, and wash your body with unscented soap. Drink plenty of water to keep your urine dilute and non-irritating. (You don't necessarily have to do all of this forever, see what your triggers are.)

If none of this seems to help much, you could have something called vulvodynia. If you have continuing pain, you have the right to an explanation, and, if your doctor tries to blow you off, insist. Politely, calmly, but firmly insist that there is something wrong with you that needs to be identified.

Some GYN's are all about BC, aren't they? I had one recommend I go on it for no better reason that that my periods were somewhat irregular. (Interestingly enough, since I've gotten married, they're now regular for the first time in my life!)

Closed Thread