It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
(female)

nyuszisue HB User
abnormal cystic structure 3.6 x 7.1 cm ??

I had a ct scan for kidney stones and the result said ( no kidney stones ) but : there is an abnormal cystic structure in the pelvic cul-de-sac extending into the right adnexa which overall measures 3.6 x 7.1 cm in AP and transverse dimensions, respectively. it could be related to a large ovarian cyst or a hydrosalpinx.
I had a pelvic ultrasound in May of 2007 and then this "thing" wasn't there, the result back then said : no abnormal adnexal masses are seen. Uterine fibroid measuring 2.3 x 1.9 x 1.6 cm located posteriorly in the fundus.
What this could be ? I'm going to have another ultrasound but until then I'm going crazy.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: abnormal cystic structure 3.6 x 7.1 cm ??

Hi nyuszsue,

Hmmm ... you really need to speak to your gynecologist or general practitioner on this one but it certainly sounds like an ovarian cyst to me. The wording of the report is very strange .. "a cystic structure that extends into the adnexa" simply means a cyst that goes into the ovary (adnexa) so why would the cyst not "originate" from the ovary in the first place, making it an ovarian cyst ? And in this case, why does the radiologist think it is an abnormal cyst .. due to its size or shape perhaps ? Does the cyst have any solid components (a complex cyst) or is it completely cystic in nature (a simple cyst) ? I don't think it would be unreasonable for you to get a second opinion by having an internal ultrasound done by a gynecologist. This will get a closer and clearer look at the cyst and ultrasounds are the best tools for cysts so the physician will be able to give you more information (US can better see what is inside the cyst).

I myself have a simple cyst on my left ovary that measures about 7.8 x 7.3 x 5 cms. It has been there for over a year now and I go for regular ultrasounds just to keep an eye on it. It has changed very little over the year so my doctors have told me that it is completely benign and nothing to worry about. The more I read the more I see that there are many of us women walking around with these things that occasionally get discovered through scans for other purposes (like in your case and in mine .. I had the ultrasound due to irregular bleeding which has now been solved but has left me with knowing about this cyst).

If it is indeed an ovarian cyst and it is simple, your doctor may recommend that you get an ultrasound after a few cycles to see if it has resolved on its own. If the ovarian cyst has an abnormal "look" to it, like if it has solid components, then he or she may recommend that you have it removed and biopsied, just to be on the completely safe side. Keep in mind that MOST cysts, even complex ones, are benign so this procedure would be to exclude other possibilities (not to mention so that you don't go crazy .. this is important).

Make that appointment to see your doctor so that you can discuss this with him or her and put your mind at ease by discussing the next course of action. Let us know how you are doing and what the doctor says. In the meantime, don't freak out. As I said, the wording of the report is kind of strange so you need to clear this up rather than jump to any conclusions. Usually if malignancy is suspected, this would be noted in the report as well and this does not seem to be the case (from what you wrote) so at worst, you will simply need a followup ultrasound. Try to relax and stay busy in the meantime. I know how this can drive you crazy and you have to understand that there is a HUGE number of women who have these ovarian growths. The overwhelming percentage of these are simply harmless growths that cause more worry than anything else.

Hang in there and take care of yourself during this time.

All the best.

Estria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread