It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
(female)

hlthnut3 HB User
Ovarian Cyst

I had a vaginal ultrasound done on Wednesday and found out I have a 6cm cyst on my left ovary and they want to do surgery tomorrow but from everything I've been reading on here is it really necessary for me to go through surgery when there's a possibility it will go away on it's own. My doctor also didn't tell me if it was filled with fluid or not can't they tell by the ultrasound? I'm scared about going through this surgery and if it's not necessary I would definitely like to avoid it. Can somebody please help me?

Old 11-17-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Ovarian Cyst

Hello,

You definitely need to get more information about this cyst. Get a copy of the radiology report. This will indicate what type of cyst you have. A simple, fluid filled, thin walled cyst (even of this size) is not an indication for surgery (although I am not familiar with your age or family history so this may have to be considered as well). A cyst that has solid components can normally be addressed in further detail by the radiologist .. for example, a dermoid cyst does have to be removed as it is unlikely to disappear on its own and may cause problems such as twisting etc.. A hemmorrhagic cyst is filled with blood and may or may not go away on its own .. a cyst filled with certain types of solid tissue may have to be removed and biopsied, just to be absolutely sure that there is nothing sinister going on (although this is still rare).

You definitely should not be "rushed" into surgery and if you did not get enough information, call your doctor or gynecologist and arrange to see or talk to them to get the information that you need in order to be sure that you are in agreement with the surgery. I actually find it rather strange that they have not bothered to inform you more about the situation, however, some doctors take it for granted that we patients are all a bunch of retards who couldn't possibly understand the circumstances so they don't bother trying to explain (it is also less work for them this way).

I would insist on knowing what this surgical decision is based on and if you feel that you are being rushed in unnecessarily, seek out a second opinion. However, if your doctor explains that you have something that needs to come out and be biopsied due to the radiologist's concerns, then I would definitely follow his or her advice. The radiologist or gynecologist who did the ultrasound should be able to tell you what the cyst is filled with and if the cyst looks sinister (this will be in that report). This is what ultrasounds are for.

I also have a large cyst on my left ovary which is about 8 cm. It is a simple, thin walled, fluid filled cyst and it has been there for about a year. I too am nervous about surgery and want to avoid it unless I absolutely have to (if I need it, then I will get it done but not unless absolutely necessary). My doctors are in complete agreement and have told me that the cyst is harmless. Over here they do not operate on simple cysts that are less than 10 cm. I know that in the US the magic number is 5 cms so perhaps this is why they want to operate on you. You definitely need more information.

I hope I have of some assitance to you. Take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing with this.

All the best.

Estria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
(female)

hlthnut3 HB User
Smile Re: Ovarian Cyst

Estria thank you so much for your response. My internet was down for a couple of days so I didn't see it until today but I did end up canceling my surgery and went to another doctor today to get another opinion and you were right. It is only 2.6 cm now and I was told it was a simple cyst. When I asked the first doctor what it was filled with he told me he didn't know until he went in and did a biopsy. It's very sad to think I almost went through an unnecessary surgery. Thank you!

Old 11-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Ovarian Cyst

That's truly unbelievable !

Thank goodness you had the good sense to seek out another opinion. That cyst is most likely a normal follicular cyst since it is being reabsorbed in such a short time. I cannot believe that this first doctor did not even have the decency to tell you that it was a simple cyst and to wait for a few cycles to see if it goes away on its own (this is what is normally done with simple cysts first and foremost). Indeed surgery is not something you want to go through for nothing.

Congratulations on the great news and take care !

Estria

Closed Thread