It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
(female)

staceymck HB User
Thumbs down Didn't have period until age 16- Better chance in pregnancy later in life?

This might be a really silly question, but I am wondering if as a woman when you have your first period makes any difference in how late in life you can still become pregnant
For example, I was 16 when I got my first period.. I was a late bloomer, didn't get boobs until age 16-17 and don't have wide hips, etc.

Many people have told me that at age 26 (almost 27) I am getting older and my biological clock will start kicking in a few years.
I am NOT ready to have a baby yet in my life (career and maturity reasons) however, I don't want to wait too late in life and have difficulty conceiving because I am too old..

Does anyone know the average age women should be able to conceive up until? At age 30 does it start to become difficult?
I am somewhat planning for my future, and wonder if seeing my gynecologist to see the health of my ovaries, uterus, tubes, etc. could give me any information on what age I should be thinking about trying to conceive.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
(female)

granolawife HB User
Re: Didn't have period until age 16- Better chance in pregnancy later in life?

i didn't get my period until age 16 either...and i am pregnant with my first child right now at age 37. i had no trouble at all conceiving...and i even had major surgery this past summer. (i definitely feel very lucky and am counting my blessings) anyway -- i don't think the age you begin your period really has anything to do with fertility...
hope that helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Hi there,

I don't think it has anything to do with that either...It all just depends on when you will hit menopause, and nobody knows when that will be. I know my mom got her period at an average age (11 or 12), and got pregnant when she was 39 with my little brother, and as soon as she had him, she began going through menopause! So anyway, I think as long as you don't wait until you're too old, you should be fine--27 is not old in my books. I think you still have a good 8 years before you should at least think about having a baby (if that's what you want to do).

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 12-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
(female)

klava HB User

I started my periods at 10, had my children at 39 and 41. I wouldn't correlate onset of puberty with reproductive age. In middle ages (when people were not as big as now), brides were 11-12 year old (one staining was enough to marry and bear children, regardless of how under-developed their bodies were).

The more accurate predictor is your mother, you need to know when she started (maybe not yet) going through "the change", and most importantly - when she ended the process (surely she still hasn't). That menopausal process is more complicated than puberty, it lasts for 10-15+ years, with stops and starts. So many "oops" (accidental pregnancies) to women who considered themselves to be in menopause.

PS: I'm sure at 27 your female organs are going to be pronounced in excellent health

Closed Thread