It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
(female)

SoFrustrated HB User
Question Bartholins cyst? Or wrong diagnosis?

Sorry so long. Didn't want to miss something that may be a light bulb for someone with expertise in this area. And so you may see why I am wondering wrong diagnosis or or just completely unprofessional medical staff.

I need opinions from pros or those that have gone through this. I was diagnosed in the ER with a bartholins cyst.( wrong diagnosis?) I waited
before going in in case it went down on it's own. It did not. When I decided
to go in it was the size of a large kiwi. ( I researched online prior to ER
as to what it may be and saw This type cyst and numerous possibilities to
it's occurrence. Amongst other possibilities to what it may have been. decided best not to wait and went in at 2am because pain was unbearable)

I am also wondering if it is a wrong diagnosis as my labia is not swollen nor, is it in my labia as I have seen in several pics. The cyst is on my left side from my anus to my pelvic bone along the length of my vagina(between their and my thigh). In the shape of a kiwi. It seems almost as though it has a string tied around it causing it to have weird indentation/strangulation
toward one end the more painful it becomes. And it is not obstructing my vaginal opening as some photos have shown. Also it is not topical. It is underneath my skin layers but I feel the cyst and see it's lump. It looks like I am pregnant with an alien. lol EWw

Please understand I have incredible pain and have the personality of a rabid dog with a broken leg as I write this, now three days after the diagnosis and continuing pain.

The Doc and nurse were incredibly apathetic not asking any questions about my health history just told me it was a bartholins cyst and said caused by "uncleanliness" and that I needed surgery to remove it as my feet were in the stirrups. And sent me home. No pain killers no health tips nothing, no doctor referrals. I informed the nurse that I use baby wipes after each Bowel movement and I am a germ phobe to put it lightly.

They checked my blood and did a swab to make sure no STD's which also came back negative as I knew they would. The medical staff were extremely rude and god forbid not happy I was not a diseased or dirty person to fit into their typical judgments. They never once mentioned the many reasons it could be there besides those even when I asked.

They sent me home to tell me I needed surgery no guidance of anything else.
I now have a 500 er bill for rude doc that is in wrong profession. She also
said when I asked what next as she had my feet in the stirrups poking
and squeezing that she wasn't going to do anything there and she would talk
to her chief ( she was resident) and that he would agree with her, when I
asked "are you sure? I am in so much pain and cannot sleep, sit or even walk
or go to work. Is there nothing I can do?"

I know from many many stays in the hospital from accute asthma this Doctors
lack of asking me health history, or helpful advice of what to do, or
possibilities of contributing factors and her weird attitude of the "boss
will side with her" when I had not even been doing much more than listening at that point is not normal behavior. I know that 95% of the Doctors in ERs are not rude or incompetent however I think I just had bad luck and got one of the rare ones. ( I was also told after the fact by my friend an EMT I chose one of the worst Hospitals in NYC) Great! *sigh*

Help I am in severe pain, cannot sleep I feel like I am in final stages of
pregnancy from pressure trying to get comfortable, my pelvic bone feels like
it is going to shatter and have hot and cold flashes continually.

Bartholins cyst? Infected hemorrhoid? EWW I thought that's what I was getting when it first started but Doc cut me off when trying to explain symptoms before exam. Or maybe something else? Or just Bartholins cyst just not typical because not starting in or swelling labia? Help please

Oh yes... I have incredible pain along the lower part of my back and in pelvic bone and tail bone area(inside) only since this cyst. It feel as though on fire and deep throbbing pain. Doc also said that not a complaint with bartholins cyst and walked out.

If you can help? I woul be so relieved

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User
Re: Bartholins cyst? Or wrong diagnosis?

Do you not have a regular gyn doctor that you could call to obtain an emergency appointment?

If your friend is an EMT, ask this person which hospital they would go to if they needed immediate medical care and go and get this treated. Once you have received treatment and you are feeling better than contact the orginal hospital and speak with either the patient advocate or the Department Head of the Emergency Department. Make sure that you follow this conversation up with a formal written complaint and make sure that you receive a response back.

Keep us informed on how you are feeling.

Closed Thread