It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 07:22 AM   #1
(female)

nyuszisue HB User
does uterine polyp need to be removed every time ?

I had a pelvic ultrasound for possible ovarian cyst and they found uterine polyp too. I didn't hear from my dr. yet so I don't know the details of the results ( the technician told me what she saw vhen I asked her but without any details ). does these polyps need to be removed every time ? I know they can be cancerous and that freaks me out.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Re: does uterine polyp need to be removed every time ?

Some woman aren't even aware they have a uterine polyp until they find it by chance like you did.
they can cause spotting inbetween periods and some can cause heavy bleeding. some polyps grow on the cervix too.

They say the percentage of a polyp being malignant is extremely low and not to worry about it. But how on earth can a person NOT worry about it if the chance is even small? one can be in that small percentage, so I'm not going to tell you not to worry but be aware of your condition and do research so you're on top of things so you can ask your doctor questions.

alot of hysterectomies that shouldn't be performed by doctors are being performed, so be aware of that fact.
uterine polyps can also prevent a woman from conceiving in some cases.
they say that polyps strike woman in their 40's and 50's.

It's wise to have them keep an eye on it and also they feel they're effected by hormones. estrogen makes them grow.
sometimes small ones can erradicate all on their own and others can be treated by medications. some have to be taken out surgically and then tested.
make sure if you're dr. doesn't do anything about this one to make sure you keep following up on it with ultra sounds.

I wish you well and hope it goes away on it's own.
oh, and i wanted to tell you also that once you have a polyp, you're more likely to get more in the future. They grow back.

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I feel like I'm an expert at these stupid things because I've had surgery to remove them 4 times in the last 3 years. Twice the first year and then once each year after that. Linda is right that once you get them, they tend to grow back. If you're like me, that is.

I always get them removed when I know they are there because for me they cause too many annoying problems. Heavy bleeding, much more painful cramps, and spotting between periods. I have found that each time I've had them removed, my periods are way more manageable. Until they grow back.

My gyne said we can just keep doing the D&C and hysteroscopy to remove them each time (which is what I've been doing so far), we can do an endometrial ablation to burn out the lining of the uterus (not sure about that one yet as I haven't had kids yet and I'm not sure if I ever want any yet) or hysterectomy which is totally not an option for me cause I refuse to go into early menopause.

Seeing as how I'm an old pro at this, I would say go ahead and get it removed. That's what I do every time I get them. It's not that big of a deal, the surgery is easy. The afterpart is no biggie. The bleeding is just like a heavy period and the pain feels just like cramps.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
(female)

nyuszisue HB User

what kind a surgery did you have to remove them ? under anestesia ? I'm on birth controll pills for 8 years ( I have a possible adenomyosis ) and i have regular periods without heavy bleeding or spotting between the periods. So I can say that I actually dont have any symptoms or problems regarding the cyst or the polyp. Or maybe not yet ?! Thank you for your answers.

Closed Thread