It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User
Question Strange Pap

I had my pap smear done last week and I was just a little curious if this has happened to you or to anyone else reading this post.

Whenever I have had a pap smear, the brush and spadula (the only way I can think to describe the two instruments) have always come out clean. Last week when he handed the brush to the nurse, I noticed that there was alot of blood. I am postmenapousal and have been for 2 years. I had mild dysplasia when I was 38 and I had a slightly abnormal pap a couple of years ago. Both of these issues corrected themselves with time. I have also always tested negative for HPV. After he did the pap, he also did an endo biopsy. Last year when I had a endo biopsy (thicken endo lining) I remember the biopsy while uncomfortable really was not bad and really only took him about 5 minutes tops. This year after he did the pap smear and I am assuming that he did the endo biopsy next, he decided to snip something. I know that he did not snip anything last year, so do you think he could have seen something on the cervix and actually did a biopsy of that? It also felt like he scraped something pretty far up there, does this sound like he may have also done a ECC? It seems that he was real busy down there for a good 15-20 minutes.

I will not be able to get any results-althought I never expect Pap results for at least 3-4 weeks until next week because he is on vacation. So what are your thoughts--Do you think he did an ECC and do you think it is possible that he may have taken a cervival biopsy?

Thanks for your help and input.
Happy Thanksgiving if I do hear from you before hand.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 12-27-2008 at 08:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Strange Pap

Hi Shisslak, if you go to a gyno (as opposed to a GP or FP), then it is possible he did an ECC and a cervical biopsy (then again, a GP/FP might be able to do those two tests, too - I don't know). Do you know if he used a colposcope during the exam? I don't know anything about the endo biopsies. I had a uterine biopsy, but it was during my cold knife cone, so I was completely knocked out and don't know how that feels any differently from how it feels when you have the cone, D&C, and uterine biopsy done all at the same time.

I suggest you call the doctor's office tomorrow morning (Wed) and ask what procedures he did while you had your exam. Also, when those results come in, ask for a copy. It will tell you what samples were taken, what tests were run, and what the results are. While you are on the phone with the office, ask when the results will be back. Ask if the office staff will be in the office even when he is on vacation. Sometimes they are. Ask if you can get the results even if he isn't in the office. (Yes, I am chalk-full-of-questions. I'm a teacher. Asking questions is what I do best! hahahaha)

Otherwise, I don't know about why he was down there for so long. I assume he was being thorough and covering all concerns/worries/tests while he was down there.

The scraping furthing up *does* sound like an ECC. Mine hurt so much I sat up on the table (and I'm usually pretty long-suffering). The pain was gone within 30 seconds or so, and the residual "ache" lasted a little while. I'm sure you've read enough of my story to know that I am REALLY glad she did that painful test. Seriously.

I hope you have a good long weekend (I'm assuming you are off at least part of the rest of the week)! Take care of yourself and let us know how things go, ok?!

Last edited by Mod-S4; 12-27-2008 at 08:01 PM.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
(female)

666ml HB User

The only input that I can offer is that I have had paps where the cotton swap was bloddy afterwards. However, my doc also was prompt to tell me that my cervix was inflammed and that it bled as soon as he touched it. This was one of the primary reasons he did a colpo and then referred to me to a gyn/onc for the cone biopsy. Although, if the visit took that long, it is possible that he was doing other things. I would just call the office and ask.

Has this doctor made a habit of doing small things and maybe not mentioning them to you in the past? I know my doc won't so much as lift my paper cover without explaining it to me, but some doc's aren't as verbal. I think your easiest solution is to call and ask what happened at your visit!

Old 12-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

Thanks 666ml,

I love my doctor--he always tells me everything he is doing. My guess is he actually saw something and just decided to take the biopsy right then and there. He did tell me that I was going to feel a snip.
He also called me today (his first day back from vacation) and told me everything came back fine. He thinks that maybe the polyp that he removed last year maybe growing back. I am to call him if I begin to experience anymore episodes of bleeding (I only really had two very small incidences of spotting-one time thing)and he will redo the hystroscope and d&c to remove the polpy.

I am amazed that a polpy can grow back in one year.

Thank you Pickle Eyes and 666ml for your help.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-02-2014 at 08:46 AM.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

You are welcome, and keep us updated, if you wish. And just out of curiousity, you might ask for a copy of that pathology report to know what your doctor did and what the results were.

Take care! I'm sure that is a huge relief!

Closed Thread