It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
(female)

princessdiana75 HB User
My period is late and I'm on the pill????

I'm getting nervous because my period usually is very light on Monday of my placebo week and then starts normal on Tuesday morning. Well, it's tuesday night and there is no sign of my period in sight. I took a first response pregnancy test yesterday night and it was negative - but I could very, very, VERY faintly see the other line at first, but it disappeared once the test was officially "done".

I skipped my placebo week last month so I wouldn't get my period. I had an EGD done at the hospital the first week of my new pack of pills last month but the only thing they pumped in me was anesthesia. Then last Wednesday I had a tonsillectomy and I have been on painkillers (lortab) every 4 hours for the past 7 days and I have been taking ibuprofen every 4 hours for the past 3 days and I was on an antibiotic, zithromax. I know that antibiotics don't really effect bc pills as bad as everyone makes it seem, but it still worries me. I have had unprotected sex 1 time after being on the antibiotics and many many many times since my last period 2 months ago.

I don't usually worry because I've learned that there's no reason - I've had many pregnancy scares and it always turns out I never am. However, the week before and of my period I usually have minor cramps and I usually get one or two big pimples on my face and I haven't had any thing of the sort - and the fact that I kind of sort of saw a 2nd line on the pregnancy test at first which would have meant positive and not negative...

Do you think it's just all this medicine and stress of my tonsillectomy pain or do you think I could really be pregnant?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Watersigh HB User
Re: My period is late and I'm on the pill????

I think it's absolutely the stress from your tonsillectomy causing your problem. I had that done about 2 years ago and I was about a week or more late for my next period after the surgery. Reason being, when you have surgery, especially something as majorly stressful as a tonsillectomy (I will NEVER forget how much pain I had afterwards!!), your entire body is affected. That's the kind of stress that will absolutely either delay or make you skip your period all together.

Also, when you are on the pill, it's possible to skip your period anytime for no reason at all. There were about 3 times in the years I was on the pill that I ended up skipping a period for no reason. It's something like 99% effective against pregnancy, so I don't think you should worry so much. I'm assuming that you're in enough pain after your surgery that you probably haven't had sex since your surgery. And I'm also assuming that you had a blood test before your surgery for pregnancy, because that's very standard before any surgery to get that done to ensure you're not pregnant before getting anesthesia. If you haven't had sex since the surgery and it's only been 2 weeks, I highly, highly doubt you're pregnant.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
(female)

princessdiana75 HB User

I had sex once since surgery...well, my boyfriend had sex with me, I kind of just laid there, haha. That was sunday, the first day of my placebo week and my last day of antibiotic, that's the only reason I'm concerned. For the past year I've been getting my period at almost the exact same time every single month, so even something slightly different doesn't sit well with me. But I suppose you're right, it's doubtful I was pregnant before the tonsillectomy and could I have possibly gotten pregnant from Sunday? ...hopefully not.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Watersigh HB User

I think you're probably ok, because it was a placebo day and the last day of your antibiotic. And I really think that the surgery/anesthesia and subsequent stress on your body is causing the lateness. If you skip your period all together this month, I wouldn't worry about it. I think you should wait until next month and see what happens before you start worrying about it.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
(female)

princessdiana75 HB User

Thanks so much for the advice. That makes me a feel better. If I don't get it the first week of my new pack of pills I'll take a test just for piece of mind.

Closed Thread