It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
(female)

oneblkz71 HB User
Unhappy Tissue discharge during period

While on my period I have a horrible discharge of tissue from dime size to half dollar size. Usually on the first day of my period I have a sharp but dull pain in my right pelvic area. If I move about too much the pain will go from a 4 to about a 7. My cycle normally lasts for 4 days, the first two days are heavy and then basically nothing for the remaining two days. I am stuck wearing these bulky pads because tampons intensify the pain. What is going on??!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2008, 03:32 AM   #2
(female)

peace4health HB Userpeace4health HB Userpeace4health HB User
Re: Tissue discharge during period

oneblkz71, I guess by tissue you mean blood clots.

Clotting is normal unless it is in large amounts. To enable menstrual blood to flow freely from the uterus and leave the body without clotting, the uterus produces an anti-clotting agent: plasmin. But when the flow is heavy, the anti-clotting agent may not be adequate for the period and the blood is likely to form clots. If menstrual blood accumulates faster than the body’s ability to transfer it out of the uterus, clots can result.

Large clots can be painful and cause cramping as they pass through the cervix.

Anyway, I think it wouldn't be bad if you had an ultrasound examination to exclude things like fibroids, polyps, or endometriosis.

1 more thing, pain/cramps can be caused by excess prostaglandins, though clots are enough by themselves to cause pain.

Last edited by peace4health; 12-22-2008 at 03:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread