It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 06:26 AM   #1
(female)

JMYHNY HB User
What does a check up/physical consist of for a 23 year old female?

What does a check up consist of for a 23 year old female?
As far as I can remember, I have never had a check up/physical.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2009, 07:03 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: What does a check up/physical consist of for a 23 year old female?

Are you going to a gyno or a primary care doc? they differ so need to know what kind of doc you are going to see.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2009, 07:10 AM   #3
(female)

JMYHNY HB User

I guess for both. Never been to a gyno either

Old 01-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, they'll both draw blood and do a unrinalysis. A primary care doc will possibly also do a chest x ray. They'll both do a complete medical history - that will take quite a while to complete as it will ask for anything you've ever had as well as close family relatives. A gyno will also do a pelvic exam and a breast exam. If oyu have a particular complaint, they'll address that and anything that the blood work and other test reveal.

Are you going for a particular reason or jsut because you haven't had one?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
(female)

cj1986 HB User

I've never had blood drawn during a check, whether by a primary doctor or gynecologist. Have also never had a chest xray. During my gyno you'll get weighed, check weight/blood pressure, listen to your breath sounds, breast exam, pelvic exam, pap smear. A primary care doctor will do weight, heigh, blood pressure, breast exam, possibly a pelvic exam (if you havent had one by a gyn. they might take a look), they'll check your limbs, possibly a quick eye chart, check your throat and ears and nose, and then the rest is probably guided by if you have any concerns or issues that you're concerned about. They're both quick. The longest part is usually the paperwork and the waiting. Neither are anything to be worried about.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:49 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Interesting. I'm 63 and every time I've ever been to the gyno they've drawn blood! And I've had 6 different gynos in my time....from 4 different practices. Maybe that's just the norm in Birmingham.

Closed Thread