It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
(female)

Touch-Me-Not HB User
Vaginal medicine chemical burn?

Many of you may know my story from the 'Yeast Infection of DOOOOM!" link. This is linked to that, though I believe... it's become a separate problem.

So here's the thing. I used vagisil, in heavy, heavy, heavy amounts the past 4 weeks I've have this yeast infection. We're talking like a tube every day or two.

I know, I far overused it and I'm now paying the consequences.

I realized last night that half of my suffering was self inflicted and threw the tube I had left away. I ended up not sleeping at all due to extreme pain and discomfort.

The only thing that gives me any relief right now is icing my down there bits. Which I've been doing. But now my vagina looks dry and cracked and... well... burned. And it still itches and it still sorta burns (but not exactly a yeast infection itch/burn, which means maybe I got rid of that! Just... gotta deal with this now >.<).

I tried some aloe vera and it really didn't help. I don't want to put more harsh chemicals on myself, I think that wouldn't help. So any ideas of how to treat this "medicine induced chemical burn' on my girl bits? I could get burn relief stuff, but... I don't think that stuff is supposed to be for the vagina. And the internet sadly isn't being forthcoming with solutions.

And FYI, the vagisil no longer works /at all/. All it does it burn like heck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Touch-Me-Not For This Useful Post:
cm3847 (04-12-2012)
Old 01-15-2009, 06:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Vaginal medicine chemical burn?

Stop using everything. Just stop. Cool baths, and nothing else. You could ask a dermatologist what would be safe, but I think she would say the same thing. I've had rashes elsewhere on my body that more or less turned into burns, and that was the advice I got. Possibly, possibly plain vaseline.

Seriously, I don't think anyone should use Vagisil at all. I looked up the ingredients, and I can think of several things in Vagisil that could cause the problem. Fragrance? What were they thinking? Fragrance does not belong in the vagina! Plus it has like 10 different emollients in it, to make sure that your skin will be sensitive to at least one of them. The active ingredients are Resorcinol and benzocaine, which also cause irritation in large amounts.

Other ladies out there, at a tube a day, Touch-me-not could potentially have overdosed on the benzocaine. Like, systemic overdose. It's not impossible, even with external use, because the vagina is a mucus membrane that can soak up drugs better than skin. And once the skin becomes irritated and bleeds... I'm very glad you've thrown it away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
(female)

busy mom of two HB User
Smile Re: Vaginal medicine chemical burn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch-Me-Not View Post
Many of you may know my story from the 'Yeast Infection of DOOOOM!" link. This is linked to that, though I believe... it's become a separate problem.

So here's the thing. I used vagisil, in heavy, heavy, heavy amounts the past 4 weeks I've have this yeast infection. We're talking like a tube every day or two.

I know, I far overused it and I'm now paying the consequences.

I realized last night that half of my suffering was self inflicted and threw the tube I had left away. I ended up not sleeping at all due to extreme pain and discomfort.

The only thing that gives me any relief right now is icing my down there bits. Which I've been doing. But now my vagina looks dry and cracked and... well... burned. And it still itches and it still sorta burns (but not exactly a yeast infection itch/burn, which means maybe I got rid of that! Just... gotta deal with this now >.<).

I tried some aloe vera and it really didn't help. I don't want to put more harsh chemicals on myself, I think that wouldn't help. So any ideas of how to treat this "medicine induced chemical burn' on my girl bits? I could get burn relief stuff, but... I don't think that stuff is supposed to be for the vagina. And the internet sadly isn't being forthcoming with solutions.

And FYI, the vagisil no longer works /at all/. All it does it burn like heck!
I have had chemical burn on that area and I know what your going through!!! My was from a product called Aldera and it was horrible. How you have dealt with it this long is beyond me!! I guess I'll tell you what the ER room told me, slean it up and stop using anything for a while!! The area needs to breathe, and that might be what's causing all your pain. i would call your gyn asap if you havnt already, and just curious, have you been using JUST vagsil for a yeast infection, or did you use Monistat or a diflucan pill? If what you have is a yeast infection, the Vagisil is only an anti itch cream, it's not meant for the curing of yeast infections, only helping you temporarily get through the discomfort while the other stuff cures it. It's not meant for that type of usage. You may just have a really severely untreated yeast infection. See you Gyn, or buy some monistat from the store after you heal up a bit, but dont wait too long. Good Luck to you! And by the way, don't put burn relief cream or vasiline or anything else on it!! A cool rag, a big fan, and going comanado (no panties) for a day or two will help. Let it breathe!!!

Old 01-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
(female)

Touch-Me-Not HB User

I'm sorry you had to go through that too, busy mom! It really, really sucks.

I actually used 4 different medicines to get rid of my yeast infection (diflucan, terazol, zazole, monostat - not in that order). The vagisil was just there to help relieve the symptoms.

The pain is completely gone and the area peeled (much like sun burn!). But now it itches like crazy! The only thing that makes it feel better is taking a shower or not moving much. The minute it gets damp, it itches. Driving me crazy again!

Are you having the same problem? It's not as bad as the yeast infection, so I can totally deal! And I'm about to finish my period, which also could be why it itches a little. I've stopped wearing pads and am just letting everything breathe.

I know burns will itch as they heal. But today is the second day with no peeling (all nice and healthy looking skin now, yay!), so I would've figured it'd be over.

Any thoughts on why it's still itchy? I was figuring maybe the burn was a bit ore severe than first degree. Since... I was non-stop reburning myself and all. And it was really dry and cracked. And while there were no blisters, it hurt REALLY really bad. If that's the case, than it would need a few more days to heal and it would make sense why it is still itching!

Otherwise. I have NO IDEA.

And sadly, I don't have a gyn currently. None in my area will see me for at least 2 months. So I'm stuck just powering through this for now!

Old 01-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
(female)

fedup2009 HB User

Nearly everyone I know can't use vagisil. It is supposed to stop the itching not get rid of the infection. It normally burns the heck out of you though. The only self-treatment I've found to work is monistat. At this point you need medical attention as soon as possible. It's hard telling what damage is done from something you;re apparently allergic to.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
(female)

busy mom of two HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch-Me-Not View Post
I'm sorry you had to go through that too, busy mom! It really, really sucks.

I actually used 4 different medicines to get rid of my yeast infection (diflucan, terazol, zazole, monostat - not in that order). The vagisil was just there to help relieve the symptoms.

The pain is completely gone and the area peeled (much like sun burn!). But now it itches like crazy! The only thing that makes it feel better is taking a shower or not moving much. The minute it gets damp, it itches. Driving me crazy again!

Are you having the same problem? It's not as bad as the yeast infection, so I can totally deal! And I'm about to finish my period, which also could be why it itches a little. I've stopped wearing pads and am just letting everything breathe.

I know burns will itch as they heal. But today is the second day with no peeling (all nice and healthy looking skin now, yay!), so I would've figured it'd be over.

Any thoughts on why it's still itchy? I was figuring maybe the burn was a bit ore severe than first degree. Since... I was non-stop reburning myself and all. And it was really dry and cracked. And while there were no blisters, it hurt REALLY really bad. If that's the case, than it would need a few more days to heal and it would make sense why it is still itching!

Otherwise. I have NO IDEA.

And sadly, I don't have a gyn currently. None in my area will see me for at least 2 months. So I'm stuck just powering through this for now!
Are you insured, and if so can you afford to go to the ER? If the itching does not subside in the next couple days, I would recommend seeing someone there. This sounds like you have something beyond a yeast infection. I have HPV which can cause frequent yeast infections, and I have one about once a month. I am single-handedly keeping the Monistat company thriving with buisness! You should really go see someone, because when I had the chemical burn, it didn't really itch, just burned like crazy!! Like I straddled a leaking car battery. (ouch!!!) But once I let myself air out, There was no itching. I do have a pretty persistant itch that feels like a yeast infection about a week before my period, but once I start bleeding, the itch goes away as quick as it started. Do you have this problem?? Because I have no idea what's causing that! A freind of my is having the same problem and she does not have HPV, so that isn't the problem. Any thoughts? But I agree with Fedup 2009, it sounds like something you used, your allergic to, and are having a reaction to it. But again, there might be something underlying going wrong thats making you itchy for this long. When was your last STD test? That might be a good start if you are sexually active. Good Luck to you, hope everything goes ok, let me know how it goes.

Closed Thread