It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 12:45 AM   #1
(female)

wrain HB User
what is the cause of a painful perineum?

Ive been experiencing perineum pain for the last year. Ive been to the gyno many times. This pain was much worse in the beginning and happened almost every few days. The pain only happens when it is touched or during intercourse and recently hasn't been as often. The gyno at first told me to stop using my detergent and body wash. So I switched the products i was using. Then I went back and they examined me and didn't see anything except for a broken blood vessel. She continued to tell me that my perineum is thin and sometimes women have this problem. I haven't had a problem like this in my life until the last year, I don't know why all of a sudden i would have this thin skin. I asked if there was any chance of an STD and she told me that she saw nothing and that my last yearly checkup i was tested for a few stds and they all came up negative, she told me there was nothing to worry about and to use a cortisone cream 2 times a day. I used up a whole tube of cortisone cream, and ive been putting it on for the last 3 months, it's gotten better but still has not resolved the problem. I feel like i am getting no answers going to the gyno and i just really want to know whats wrong with me. Has anyone ever experienced this? Any ideas of what could be wrong?

P.S. - I believe that recently after I started getting the shot this problem showed up. I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User
Re: what is the cause of a painful perineum?

OMG if she told you your perenium was thin I can't imagine giving you cortisone. I could see her giving you a script for estrogen cream to rub a tiny amount into the skin affected and give it a while to see if that helps. You can ask about that but I'd not use any more steroid on thin skin.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

I only had time to make a quick post last night because something came up but I wanted ot add a few other things.

There are more women than you might think who are having one or another type of pain to the genital area. The Dr.s however are NOT very helpful most of the time.

I have pain in the clitoris and vestible area and have for months now. My pain was in the beginning also around the vaginal opening but thank God isn't so much there any more. Mine all started with bacterial infection and between the metrogel and yeast cream something happened and I haven't been painfree since. I've been to numerous Dr.s and they are doing nothing for me. The best information I've gotten is from other women on a support group for vulvodynia that I joined.

There are women there who believe birth control have been the cause of their pain issues so you aren't alone there.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-19-2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 05-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I have Vulvodynia and I first experienced pain in the perineum. The symptoms include: burning, itching, stinging, painful intercourse, pain from sitting, pain from wearing tight jeans, etc. Do a search on this board for Vulvodynia. There are lots of Vulvodynia groups online. I use a small amount of Estrace cream as well as a steroid ointment once weekly as maintainance for Lichen Sclerosis. Aveeno baths are soothing and wearing only white cotton underwear is supposed to help. Hope you find some pain relief in the near future.

Closed Thread