It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
(female)

williamsliz26 HB User
Cysts and ultrasounds

I had severe cramping ALL the time. I went to my GYN and he had me have an ultrasound. There was no sign of any cysts. He then wanted me to have diagnostic laraposcopy to see if I had endometriosis. Turns out I have both: ovarian cysts and endometriosis.

How come my cysts did not appear in the ultrasound?

Last edited by williamsliz26; 02-22-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
(female)

Karen128 HB User
Re: Cysts and ultrasounds

Did you find out how large your cysts are? Did you have an internal (intra-vaginal) US or outside on the tummy?

It may have been the technician, equipment, or maybe they were too small to see.

I had an internal US with an infertility Dr. She found a 2cm cyst on my rt ovary. It showed solid and fluid areas, so I had a referral for an external US (with a full bladder) to check it out further and my main healthcare provider. Before that appt, I got pregnant and had slow rising hCH, so they were concerned about an ectopic pregnancy. I went in right away for an ultrasound and the checked the inside and outside with no sign of pregnancy and the cyst was completely gone! The Dr said I didn't have to worry about the cyst anymore. This was just under a month from my last US.

One week later I had another internal US that showed nothing as well. However when I had a different Dr call me back on some other test results, she said "there was possibly something on my rt ovary" based on the US.

So reasons could be the cyst shrunk down super small that the 2nd US didn't see it and the 3rd saw the remnants or it coming back. OR The techs and equipment were different and the infertility Dr's equipment was much higher resolution, and there's still a cyst.

I never had the full bladder test, so I'm just going to assume the cyst is gone and it's nothing to worry about now. My 4th US was yesterday with the portable small US and my Dr found a heartbeat (although slow) so my main concern is about the baby and if I do have some more in depth US, I'll ask them to check my ovary.

Most cysts are normal and will go away on their own in a few months, unless you have PCOS or solid cysts. I hope your's end up being not too serious and that the endometriosis can be treated successfully. Cramps are no fun

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
(female)

msboards2 HB User
Re: Cysts and ultrasounds

The full bladder moves organs out of the way for a better view on certain situations.

If one has a tilted uterus, then one might have to have their hips angled up, so the wand's waves are shooting at the right angle to everything inside to not miss anything.

The mhz. (the strength of the u/s wand) can make a difference, too. Example: Those with a pg closer to one's spine, it might be beneficial to use a lower mhz external wand (i.e. 2.5 instead of 3) for it to penetrate deeper in a more concentrated area vs. how the higher the strength more the waves will spread out at a less deep level.

Karen,

Do you have any professional medical documents about the resolution making a difference and exactly why? My last u/s was done on a machine that is apparently at least 15 years old, since it doesn't even record video at all nor record onto cd rom or thumb drive. I will greatly appreciate it a lot.

2ndly, would you happen to know what else besides EP that can cause pg symptoms, movements, lactating, pelvic pains that at times takes over my stomach, abdominal growth in pg style that has hard moments at times and where one side sticks out a bit further than the other side? My masses on my ovaries are: Mass 1: has very little blood in its hypoechoic area with stuff in it vs. just a big, empty, black space ; mass 2: has Ring of Fire sign/Adnexal Ring and also stuff in it.

Thanks, Karen.

Feel free to contact me through PM option here. Request Friendship, if not already listed as a friend here. Click on my name in a post of mine to see my Profile page and then click on Contact.

Good luck to both of you!

msboards2

Closed Thread