It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
(female)

aussiegirl77 HB User
Complex Ovarian Cyst - Pls help SCARED

Hi

I am new here. I went to my Ob/gyn and saw a nurse practitioner yesterday and had an ultrasound as I was having some slight pelvic pain. They found a "2.2cm thick walled complex cyst" on my right ovary (I am still awaiting the Radiologists report, that was a preliminary report from the Sonographer).

They told me to do nothing as I am on Day 24 of my cycle and close to getting my period and it's nothing to worry about and will more than likely go with my period. I told them I was moving to another state soon and should I get a follow up with an Ob/gyn when I get there, they said no need. I've had simple fluid filled cysts before that have disappeared and I did have one complex cyst back in 2006 which went on it's own, but I get scared when it's a complex cyst as its more chance of it being bad. I have no pain on that side or anything. I had recent blood tests done and they were all ok and they did a internal exam which was fine. I have no pain with sex with my Husband and my periods are regular and ok. I have no family history of Ovarian cancer or any cancer and I took the pill for 10 years which I know can help with cysts and the likelihood of OvCA.

I'm thinking of getting a second opinion before I move, I can only get an appointment next Monday which is when my period is still going to be there but on the last days of it.

I am a VERY anxious person to begin with and this has taken my anxiety out of control, I can't eat, sleep and am a mess. I have IBS too which the symptoms are very similar to those of Ovarian cancer, I'm petrified, Im only 31, married and no kids.

Someone please help me with some reassuring advice.

THANK YOU!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
(female)

aussiegirl77 HB User
Re: Complex Ovarian Cyst - Pls help SCARED

can someone PLEASE help me?

Old 02-24-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Hi,
I know it's hard not to be worried but try to stay calm. I have heard that the majority of cysts are benign, complex or not. I also had a complex cyst. I was worried out of my mind. I went for two ultrasounds at the doctors office. The second one the doctor said it was a little bigger and to get an ultrasound at the hospital in six weeks (giving it a chance to resolve itself). They have better equipment at the hospital and could see it better. When I went they couldn't find anything and said things looked normal.

I really think that odds are in your favor but you should follow up on it until it's gone. Wishing you the very best.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
(female)

aussiegirl77 HB User

Thank you, I just got the report from the Radiologist, it says it's just a complex cyst, with no blood flow to it and a simple cyst less than 1cm on my left ovary also. They said to follow up in 6 weeks. I am moving to a new city and have already made my appointment with an ob/gyn. I spoke to the nurse again and she said it doesn't look cause for concern as they would have asked me to go sooner but just to go anyway even just for peace of mind. I'm trying to stay calm now and not worry, that's all I can do. I'm right near the start of my period and emotional anyway so this hasn't helped, I have a great supportive husband though, I'm sure I will be ok. Thanks for your support, glad your situation worked out good : )

Old 02-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Sounds like good news!

Old 02-25-2009, 04:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello Aussiegirl,

You should also keep in mind that if you have had this happen before (you mentioned that you have already had a complex cyst that went away) then it is probably the same thing happening again. Be sure to follow up on it though, just to be sure that it goes away on its own.

I know exactly how you feel. I have an 8.5 cm simple cyst on my left ovary. Luckily it is a simple cyst but its size concerns me and my radiologist has said that it is starting to take up a lot of space in my pelvic area (I have been watching this cyst for almost two years and it keeps growing at a very slow rate). I am awaiting my gynecologist's phonecall regarding this last ultrasound and am quite sure that I will have to have surgery to take it out (either now or later but at some point). Unlike you, my husband is not very supportive and this may actually be more painful than the fear of surgery. I was on the pill for over 20 years when my cyst was discovered and I am very resentful of the fact that I may have compromised my health in exchange for birthcontrol (I do not believe that women are less prone to cysts when on the pill and new evidence supports this view .. doctors no longer advocate hormone treatment for the reduction or avoidance of ovarian cysts .. at least the up to date doctors .. some old fashioned doctors still recommend it). These emotions will eat you up and make your health worse so let them go. Whatever happens in the future, you will be able to handle it.

Good luck with this issue and I hope that this latest cyst goes away just like your other one did (highly likely). Take care.

Estria

Old 02-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
(female)

aussiegirl77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by estria View Post
Hello Aussiegirl,

You should also keep in mind that if you have had this happen before (you mentioned that you have already had a complex cyst that went away) then it is probably the same thing happening again. Be sure to follow up on it though, just to be sure that it goes away on its own.

I know exactly how you feel. I have an 8.5 cm simple cyst on my left ovary. Luckily it is a simple cyst but its size concerns me and my radiologist has said that it is starting to take up a lot of space in my pelvic area (I have been watching this cyst for almost two years and it keeps growing at a very slow rate). I am awaiting my gynecologist's phonecall regarding this last ultrasound and am quite sure that I will have to have surgery to take it out (either now or later but at some point). Unlike you, my husband is not very supportive and this may actually be more painful than the fear of surgery. I was on the pill for over 20 years when my cyst was discovered and I am very resentful of the fact that I may have compromised my health in exchange for birthcontrol (I do not believe that women are less prone to cysts when on the pill and new evidence supports this view .. doctors no longer advocate hormone treatment for the reduction or avoidance of ovarian cysts .. at least the up to date doctors .. some old fashioned doctors still recommend it). These emotions will eat you up and make your health worse so let them go. Whatever happens in the future, you will be able to handle it.

Good luck with this issue and I hope that this latest cyst goes away just like your other one did (highly likely). Take care.

Estria

Old 02-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
(female)

aussiegirl77 HB User

Thank you both for your support, it even just helps talking on here and having someone to talk to when you are scared that understands.

Estria, I'm sure yours won't be a problem either, sounds like having it out may be for the best so it can go away and you won't have to think about it anymore but yes I know what you mean, surgery can be scary too, I feel like that too. I have a really terrible phobia about Anaesthetic, I just hate being put to sleep, but you just have to face it.

You are right when you say:

These emotions will eat you up and make your health worse so let them go. Whatever happens in the future, you will be able to handle it.

the anxiety is making me quite sick, It's eating me up and the thing is I just have to let it go, try not to worry and get on with things and keep monitoring it and trust the Doctors and my Husband who is very calm in situations like this and can see things rationally when I can't. I will handle whatever happens and I'm at least it's a bit more positive from the report at least. I will be ok whatever and face it head on. I tend to agree with you, the birth control pill isn't always the best option, I was on it for over 10 years and still had cysts and to me I dont' like all the side effects of BCP so I'd rather not take it. My periods are ok and not irregular without it, so I choose not to go on it. Doctors are quite quick to prescribe it for cysts though.

Good luck with your issue too.

Aussiegirl77

Old 02-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Aussiegirl,

Thank you for your message. I read it just after speaking to my gynecologist who wants to take out the left ovary and also said what you said .. that having this thing on my mind will drive me crazy (she isn't kidding). We will be scheduing something for April.

Like you the anaesthetic scares me more than the surgery (I know, how stupid .. but it does). Obviously this seems to be the case for most people. My husband is an anaesthesiologist (what do think of that one !) so hopefully he can answer all of my questions on this. He has already said that a women my age and a day surgery of this nature is not serious at all .. his exact words were, "It's nothing at all". I think it is still normal to be anxious though, no matter how sure I am that it will go well. I am actually more concerned about coming out of the anaesthetic .. nausea, having a bowel movement etc.. I am going to try to be as prepared for this as possible.

It is so frustrating for a control freak like me to hand over control of my body to someone else. This is really the issue and letting go is going to be essential .. maybe I need a shrink too.

I hope that your issue manages to resolve itself (this would be ideal) and chances are that they will in your case so be optimistic. I have read that other ladies have had cysts (even complex ones) disappear on their own. I have never read about anyone with as large a cyst as mine who has said that it went away on its own. I think that when they get to a certain size, surgery is the only option. I have waited for almost two years now and this damned thing keeps getting bigger.

My gyne also wants to know if while she is in there if I want to have my other tube tied which is practical (I am 42 and don't want children). Right now I so want to give my husband a vasectomy personally that I cannot think straight (I believe that this cyst condition is due to 20 years of being on the pill). I really do need a shrink ! Ha ha .. can't loose one's sense of humour, right ?

Best Regards,

Estria

Old 02-27-2009, 06:20 AM   #10
(female)

aussiegirl77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by estria View Post
Hello Aussiegirl,

Thank you for your message. I read it just after speaking to my gynecologist who wants to take out the left ovary and also said what you said .. that having this thing on my mind will drive me crazy (she isn't kidding). We will be scheduing something for April.

Like you the anaesthetic scares me more than the surgery (I know, how stupid .. but it does). Obviously this seems to be the case for most people. My husband is an anaesthesiologist (what do think of that one !) so hopefully he can answer all of my questions on this. He has already said that a women my age and a day surgery of this nature is not serious at all .. his exact words were, "It's nothing at all". I think it is still normal to be anxious though, no matter how sure I am that it will go well. I am actually more concerned about coming out of the anaesthetic .. nausea, having a bowel movement etc.. I am going to try to be as prepared for this as possible.

It is so frustrating for a control freak like me to hand over control of my body to someone else. This is really the issue and letting go is going to be essential .. maybe I need a shrink too.

I hope that your issue manages to resolve itself (this would be ideal) and chances are that they will in your case so be optimistic. I have read that other ladies have had cysts (even complex ones) disappear on their own. I have never read about anyone with as large a cyst as mine who has said that it went away on its own. I think that when they get to a certain size, surgery is the only option. I have waited for almost two years now and this damned thing keeps getting bigger.

My gyne also wants to know if while she is in there if I want to have my other tube tied which is practical (I am 42 and don't want children). Right now I so want to give my husband a vasectomy personally that I cannot think straight (I believe that this cyst condition is due to 20 years of being on the pill). I really do need a shrink ! Ha ha .. can't loose one's sense of humour, right ?

Best Regards,

Estria

Old 02-27-2009, 06:26 AM   #11
(female)

aussiegirl77 HB User

Estria

I wish you all the best with your surgery, sounds like it's better to get it taken out, then you can get on with things and stop thinking about it. I think we let our fears get the better of us sometimes and it gets carried away with us. I think that's what's happening to me, I'm letting my fear get out of control and it's putting considerable stress on me and making me feel terrible. My Husband is so supportive and has said that stress alone can do bad things to your body and it's important to try to relax, not worry and only worry when there IS something confirmed that is bad. My period came yesterday (right on time) and the pain is terrible, but I've always had bad period pain when I've been off the pill. I've had some bad pain on the right side, I'm hoping that is the cyst going..maybe..hope so. I've been getting these cysts for years, mostly simple cysts though even when I was on the pill so it never helped me. My Husband and I don't want children, but I still don't want to have my tubes tied or a hysterectomy at my age, but again I think I'm getting carried away and need to step back and look at the facts. I spoke to my Doctor in my home country (I moved here 2 years ago) and he doesn't think it's a problem, of course he can't say for sure but he said these are quite common in women my age. I guess we'll see. I'm going for an U/sound on Monday after this period has ended to see what is happening, I'm praying its gone or at least hasn't got bigger.

Best of luck to you and you are right, it's best to keep a sense of humor and a positive attitude, keep smiling : )
Aussiegirl

Old 02-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello,

Thanks for the reassuring words. It is much appreciated.

I have decided against having the tubal ligation on the other ovary. I figure, I may have already screwed up one ovary by taking oral contraceptives for so long, why screw up the other one as well with yet another intervention. If it works, why try to fix it ? It will be my only working ovary now. I have heard of other women who have had problems after tubal ligation due to the blood flow to the ovaries and uterus being compromised. Symptoms include much heavier and painful periods and very painful ovulation. I don't thing my ovulation can get much more painful so I definitely don't need this. If my hubby wants, he can always get the snippety snip but as far as I am concerned, no more risks for birth control.

Take care and best of luck to you.

Estria

Closed Thread