It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
(female)

SpiceBicky HB User
Am I having a hysterical phantom pregnancy?

Hi there,

Am I having a hysterical phantom pregnancy???

If I am pg, I would be 3 months gone. I've had negative hpt results but the last 2 months I have felt oddly different...

- Starting in mid Dec, I had an unusual sense in my lower abdomen, just above my pubic bone. It was a powerful, yet gentle feeling of "well-being". Okay so I couldn't go to my doc with that! LOL.

- Light cramps. Now it's end Feb and I'm feeling slightly cramping every day, which is not unpleasant, like someone pulling on my ovaries and tweeking them.

- Bubbles. Not intestinal gas, but a sensation of tiny fizzy bubbles. Not dis-similar to the buzzy feeling of butterflies in the stomach, except it's low down in my abdomen.

- Foul mood. Uncharacteristically, every day I have acted like I have had PMS.

- Need to pee. I normally pride myself on being able to really hold off going to the toilet, but now I go every hour, especially if I'm standing.

- Appetite. I HAVEN'T vomitted at all. But I can't stand eating things I normally would love. I can't even face breakfast. And I have been eating new things, like pickled beetroot, which has never appealed to me in my life! Bcz I physically gag at the thought of my favourite foods, I am hungry all the time and have lost a few pounds in weight.

- Boobs. I noticed that my breasts were tender for several weeks when I got into bed at night and lay on them. There are these little white spots on them, too. My breasts have got quite a bit bigger and even though I have lost weight and they should be shrinking, my boobs are now too big for my bras!

- Nosebleeds. I have had 3 spontaneous nosebleeds in the last month. I have only ever had three in my life! And then, only when I bumped my nose, not spontaneously.

- Other symptoms. I have had a breakout of a few spots, I have some occasional gall bladder pain and some slight heaviness and achiness in my legs. My heart sounds like it's thumping and I notice this when I first wake. My sense of smell was always good, but it's now Super Human.

- Missed period. I haven't had my AF since 26 November. I last saw my partner on 12th December - which would have been ovulation time.

It has only just occurred to me that this might be a pregnancy. I didn't think it was even a remote possibility before because...

* I have a mirena IUS, which is like a coil and is supposed to fail less often that having your tubes tied. In fact, there are half the number of unplanned pregnancies with a mirena than with sterilisation.

* It's normal for me to go a month without a period bcz of the mirena.

* Last week, I did a home pregnancy test and it was negative. I have done half a dozen hpt's from different brands and used FMU. All negative.

I still can't convince myself that I'm NOT pregnant. It feels like I've been staring at one of those Magic Eye pictures and suddenly something 3D has popped out! Even the negative hpt's can't convince me I'm not pregnant, especially when I read on the internet how many women have given birth after getting "false negatives".

Of course, yes, I have got appointments with my family planning clinic (OB / GYN) who gave me the mirena coil, but their soonest slot is in a month. Too long! I told them it's an emergency bcz if I AM pregnant with a coil, it'll need to be removed asap.

I also asked my GP's office for a blood test and they said 'no'. They told me that hpt's are accurate, a negative means I'm NOT pregnant. I have asked for an appointment with my doc, by-passing his office staff, and I will talk to him directly on Tuesday, to ask for an HCG blood test.

Since it's about a 1 in 15 million chance of the mirena failing, and the HPT giving a "false negative", surely it's more likely I am having a "hysterical pregnancy". I don't know whether to admit this to the doc???

It's difficult to believe it could be psychosomatic. I don't feel I'd be the sort of person that could "will" these symptoms upon myself.

Since I have never been pg, if I WERE going to "imagine" a pg, then I would "imagine" myself up some much more classic symptoms. Knowing nothing about pregnancy (until this week) I would have "imagined" morning sickness, big belly and glowing skin etc. How come my symptoms follow the same time-line as a genuine 3 month pregnancy?

Have you experienced a hysterical pregnancy (phantom pregnancy, false pregnancy, mental pregnancy)? Has anyone close to you? Have you ever known of a mirena causing pg like symptoms? If I am pg, then have you ever got pg with a mirena AND had a false negative?

Help! Am I going mad???

Thanks so much!

SpiceBicky x x

suggested tags - hysterical pregnancy, false pregnancy, phantom pregnancy, false negative, mirena coil

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2009, 12:06 AM   #2
(female)

redmomma HB User
Re: Am I having a hysterical phantom pregnancy?

Hi there! I am just wondering if you ever found out what was going on. I have been experiencing these same things and am curious.

Closed Thread