It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
(female)

possumenough4me HB User
i have a 5.5 centimeter ovarian cyst do i need surgery

i have a 5.5 centimeter ovarian cyst do i need surgery

Old 03-01-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: i have a 5.5 centimeter ovarian cyst do i need surgery

Hi,

It really depends on the kind of cyst that you have. If it is a simple, fluid filled cyst then in all likelyhood it will go away on its own in a few menstrual cycles. If it persists then it may not be a normal functional cyst that we all get everymonth and it will have to be managed differently. In this case all will depend upon if you are having any symptoms, what the cyst looks like on the ultrasound and if it is stable (not growing bigger).

I have an 8.5 cm simple (fluid filled) cyst on my left ovary. When it was discovered in September of 2007, it was about 7 cms and my doctors said that it would go away but when it did not, they knew it was not a functional follicular cyst. Since it did not cause serious symptoms, they just kept an eye on it with regular ultrasounds. Over time it grew .. very slowly but it still grew so my doctor feels it is best to go in and remove the ovary (I am 42 years old and have never wanted children). I will be scheduled for laparoscopic surgery sometime in April.

Each situation is different but personally I would not go in and remove a simple fluid filled cyst that is stable and not causing any problems. The flipside of this is that you will have to keep an eye on it in order to be sure that it continues to remain stable. I would have been willing to go for yearly ultrasounds if my cyst remained as is. Unfortunately, it is starting to take up more space and is getting to a size which increases the risk of torsion of the ovary etc.. so I think it has to come out.

I hope this helps you a little.

Best of luck and I hope that cyst is gone on your next ultrasound.

Estria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
(female)

possumenough4me HB User

but im scared because i just had an etopic pregnancy and a miss carraige and it is causing a sinifigiNT AMOUNT of pain did yours

Old 03-02-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello,

If your cyst is causing problems then it would probably be best to go in and remove it. Mine causes problems only during ovulation and I have had two episodes of pain other then this over the past 5 months. In my case, the concern is the cyst's size and the fact that it is not stable. In your case, they may have to go in and remove it so that you won't have pain. What does the cyst look like on the ultrasound ? What does your doctor recommend ?

Take care.

Estria

The Following User Says Thank You to estria For This Useful Post:
Natty7557 (05-11-2011)
Closed Thread