It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 03:26 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

brainchild HB User
Unhappy Itchy, Rash, Redness, what could be the cause?

Hi everyone,

Lately i've been suffering pretty badly with vulval itching. I'd say that this has been a mild problem on and off for over a year, but it didnt cause me too much trouble as the itch would only be at night and once I managed to break the itch scratch cycle then the problem would go away until next time. I would always treat it with anti-itch creams and moisturising creams to replace any dryness or irritation caused by scratching. I think this all started off after I had an itchy rash on my upper leg which possibly spread but im unsure really.

I'd say it's become worse since maybe February but the last week in particular it's been really bad. Not only is the itch affecting me more than just at nighttime but its waking me up in my sleep and affecting me on and off throughout the day as well... im constantly applying cream to try and calm the itch down. Also as of yesterday a sore itchy red rash appeared on both sides on the vulva (in between where the vulva and legs join), the whole area just looks really sore and red and feels a little swollen too, and also towards the mons pubis(?) area there are about 2 very small pink/reddish coloured bumps which totally freaked me out. I've looked again in the mirror this morning and in addition to this my bum and upper legs seem to be covered in red spots, similar to a shaving rash. I noticed some of these spots running down my leg late last year and went to the Walk in Centre about it.. the guy didnt even look at them and just dismissed me with it sounds like nothing. Anyways when I got home my sister told me she had had the exact same thing and only on her legs too so we assumed that was an allergic reaction to a shower gel or something. (We are both prone to very sensitive skin and dermatitis).

I am going to have to try and see a doctor about this because its really worrying me now.. but i'm wondering if anyone has any ideas what this could be? I dont know if it is a skin condition like eczema or dermatitis, or an allergic reaction or if its something worse like herpes (the tiny bumps made me panic about that) or genital warts?? I've not actually had sex in nearly a year, and unprotected sex in nearly 2 years (which was very stupid and not something i make a habit of). There was a guy i know who i kind of got close to last september, I knew his sexual history but I guess you can never be sure. Apart from that i've been totally single for 6 months, am otherwise fit and healthy apart from a tendancy to get the occasional skin problem which is generally very mild and doesnt cause any problems.

If anyone has any ideas what it could be.. even if it does sound like something really bad, please let me know... im not sure whether I should go to see my GP dr or if I should go to a STD clinic instead...

Thanks for reading xx

The Following User Says Thank You to brainchild For This Useful Post:
gastroc (08-31-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2009, 04:42 AM   #2
(female)

harper47 HB User
Re: Itchy, Rash, Redness, what could be the cause?

Hi, Have yourself checked out ~ this could be something simple such as a urine infection or it may be excess sugar in your urine....both of these conditions can lead to severe itching. Also, check the laundry detergent you use and go for an organic or hypoallergenic product.
The only way to have peace of mind and a full nights sleep is to be checked out. Most people think of the worst case situation when often they are wrong and a routine check and effective & simple treatment can clear things up.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:58 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

brainchild HB User
Re: Itchy, Rash, Redness, what could be the cause?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.. yeah I will try and get an appointment with my GP... it's like getting blood from a stone though! I just get myself so worked up and always think its something more sinister I think you may be right with the detergent as I have had allergic reactions to detergents many years ago, but on my hands, and the itchiness and soreness does seem to be worse when i'm in bed at night or if im wearing clothing such as tights.

Fingers crossed I can get an appointment

thanks again

Closed Thread