It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
(female)

Saybrook HB User
mid cycle bleeding

I notice a few days ago around day 13 of my cycle that when I went to the bathroom, there was a discgarge of red/dark brown in color. The first day I had pain and and a bit uncomfortable. The discharge is still happening. I called my dr and they said that if it were to continue to call them for a visit. Does anyone know why this would be happening? I 've read that it could be because of ovulating. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Old 03-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luvbug412 HB Userluvbug412 HB User
Re: mid cycle bleeding

Possibility of infection. When was your last pap?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2009, 04:43 AM   #3
(female)

Saybrook HB User

Thanks for the response. My last pap was less than 1 year ago. I checked this morning and agin, dark red in color on the tp. It never leaks out like when I have my period. I'll be calling my dr again tomorrow.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
(female)

Saybrook HB User

What kind of infection could this be?

Old 03-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Watersigh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saybrook View Post
I 've read that it could be because of ovulating.
That would be my guess. I doubt it's an infection. Ovulation is known to cause some midcycle bleeding in pain in some women sometimes. Who knows why? Sometimes it happens a lot, sometimes just randomly and sometimes never. It is what it is.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watersigh View Post
That would be my guess. I doubt it's an infection. Ovulation is known to cause some midcycle bleeding in pain in some women sometimes. Who knows why? Sometimes it happens a lot, sometimes just randomly and sometimes never. It is what it is.
Yep, happens to me sometimes and that is what the doctor said; ovulation. It has to do with your hormones, similar to breakthrough bleeding on birth control pills.

Last edited by herekittykitty; 03-23-2009 at 07:09 AM.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
(female)

Saybrook HB User

i aled my dr and have an appointment this afternoon. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks

Old 03-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
(female)

Saybrook HB User

I went to see my dr yesterday and she wasn't too concerned. She did some bloodwork which will be back by Wednesday. I'll post again tomorrow.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

My periods used to be regular and then suddenly i began getting the same mid cycle spotting as you described. Some months it would only be for a few days, then other times it would occur right through to my period.

I visited my GP, he ran some blood tests, i did a pap smear and much later down the track i did an ultrasound and nothing was discovered. I was really unhappy. Who wants to live from ovulation to period time wearing a panty liner and having some form of daily bleeding!!

Much later down the track i turned to a naturopath and after going on a daily herbal mix i noticed the middle cycle spotting stopped and my periods became more and more regular. When they tried to take me off the herbal mix my problems began coming back.

Once again i was worried why this would be happening and nobody seemed to have any answers and blood tests always came back normal.

I then had another ultrasound and this time they detected a fibroid growing. Fibroids, depending on the position they are in can cause all kinds of symptoms to occur.

Then i found out by chance that i had a thyroid problem too. My new doctor got me to do a saliva hormone panel test. This is where they test all your hormones via saliva samples and this test is more accurate than blood. This time i got a much better understanding of what was going on. My estrogen, progesterone and testosterone were out of balance and my estrogen was too high. I know the easy thing might be to go on the pill, but in this type of situation the pill can make things worse while masking the real problem. At the moment i'm at the point where my doctor is trying to balance my hormones as naturally as possible.

This might not be your situation, but more often than not, anything weird and abnormal which occurs with your once regular cycles is hormonal. Most doctors wont do anything about it. I went on with my crazy cycles for a number of years and opting to go to the naturopath has helped a lot, but i'd like to be able to go off the herbs. Correcting hormones and balancing them out is the difficult part.

In your case, if you haven't had an external and internal ultrasound you might wish to do that just incase they find something there. With me, my excess estrogen is what has caused the fibroid growth as they love a high estrogen environment.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:52 AM   #10
(female)

Reneeh13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
My periods used to be regular and then suddenly i began getting the same mid cycle spotting as you described. Some months it would only be for a few days, then other times it would occur right through to my period.

I visited my GP, he ran some blood tests, i did a pap smear and much later down the track i did an ultrasound and nothing was discovered. I was really unhappy. Who wants to live from ovulation to period time wearing a panty liner and having some form of daily bleeding!!

Much later down the track i turned to a naturopath and after going on a daily herbal mix i noticed the middle cycle spotting stopped and my periods became more and more regular. When they tried to take me off the herbal mix my problems began coming back.

Once again i was worried why this would be happening and nobody seemed to have any answers and blood tests always came back normal.

I then had another ultrasound and this time they detected a fibroid growing. Fibroids, depending on the position they are in can cause all kinds of symptoms to occur.

Then i found out by chance that i had a thyroid problem too. My new doctor got me to do a saliva hormone panel test. This is where they test all your hormones via saliva samples and this test is more accurate than blood. This time i got a much better understanding of what was going on. My estrogen, progesterone and testosterone were out of balance and my estrogen was too high. I know the easy thing might be to go on the pill, but in this type of situation the pill can make things worse while masking the real problem. At the moment i'm at the point where my doctor is trying to balance my hormones as naturally as possible.

This might not be your situation, but more often than not, anything weird and abnormal which occurs with your once regular cycles is hormonal. Most doctors wont do anything about it. I went on with my crazy cycles for a number of years and opting to go to the naturopath has helped a lot, but i'd like to be able to go off the herbs. Correcting hormones and balancing them out is the difficult part.

In your case, if you haven't had an external and internal ultrasound you might wish to do that just incase they find something there. With me, my excess estrogen is what has caused the fibroid growth as they love a high estrogen environment.
Hi,

This is almost exactly what is happening to me. About four years ago I started spotting ten days before my period. (26 day cycle). It would come every month at the same time, and like you it would sometimes last until my period came. I also was diagnosed with thyroid disease about 3 years ago. I'm going for an ultrasound on Friday. I'm fairly nervous. Did you have spotting every month? Did it ever skip a month?

Old 02-04-2010, 12:39 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi Reneeh, no the spotting never let up and my cycles were seriously messed up until i found a naturopath who put me on a herbal mix to regulate my cycles. I'm still taking the herbal mix as my estrogen and progesterone levels have been difficult to balance out due to my thyroid issues as well as my adrenal issues.

Stress doesn't help either and i find i stress out internally quite easily, maybe because i get tired easily due to my thyroid as well as my adrenal fatigue. The better my thyroid and adrenals the better i naturaly feel and my estrogen levels tend to balance out, but it's difficult keeping things where they ought to be.

I'm also due for my annual pelvic ultrasound as my doctor is monitoring the fibroid i have as it's getting bigger and bigger. My naturopath says if we can balance out my hormones and my estrogen become normal then the fibroid will shrink.

Good luck with your ultrasound. It's a good thing to have them to keep on top of what's going on internally, even though they are a bit unpleasant

Old 02-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #12
(female)

terrimarie HB User

i am having a similar problem but the discharge is thick and light brown.

Closed Thread