HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Women's Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/womens-health/)
-   -   Severe and Sudden Lower Abdominal Pain (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/womens-health/682306-severe-sudden-lower-abdominal-pain.html)

alliecat12 03-27-2009 09:33 PM

Severe and Sudden Lower Abdominal Pain

Hello! Ever since February of 2008, I have been to the emergency room, my family doctor, and a gyneocologist trying to figure out why I have this SUDDEN very SEVERE pain in my lower abdomen. The pain comes the first day of the period (this is not normal period pain b/c I've never had a history of painful periods)! The pain is very sudden, and it almost paralyzes me, making it so I can not talk, find a comfotable position to be in, or function. The pain also comes in what can be described as contractions, meaning it will be really bad one moment then it will relax and I will think it is over, then it will start up again. It also stops suddenly and will typically last maybe an hour. (enough time to be rushed to the ER).
What I have noticed from these pains is that there has been a PATTERN to them, as it does not happen every month on the first day of my period, but every FOUR months. I have had ultrasounds done showing an ovarian cyst, and then another one done without the cyst. Just when we thought this is where the pain is from, the gyneocologist said that it is probably NOT from the ovarian cysts since it happens every FOUR months as opposed to every month. This has been happening for a year now. In the ER, I have been told it could be from kidney stones (I drink a lot of tea), urinary track infection, endometriotis, interstitial cystitis, ovarian cyst rupturing, and OBGYN said to check out IBS. I guess the most reliable would be the cyst rupturing, but then if that's the case, WHY does it happen every four months and how do I prevent the pain? And if the last one showed the cyst not there then i assume it ruptured, so then where was the pain coming from during the other times when the ovarian cyst was apparently present?
I am 19 years of age. Hope this is enough info!
Thanks
Allie

estria 03-28-2009 11:15 AM

Re: Severe and Sudden Lower Abdominal Pain

Allie,

You ovulate every single month ! Your ovaries begin growing cysts at the start of your period and about 14 days later the most dominant cyst ruptures and releases an egg into your fallopian tube. The remaining cysts then regress back into your ovaries and the process begins again at the start of your next period. It is possible that you are sometimes growing larger than normal ovarian follicles (or cysts) and that these are causing a problem but you may also have pain from something else.

For example, endometriosis occurs when some tissue from the inside of your uterus begins to grow outside of your uterus, like for example on an ovary or on your colon or the wall of your abdominal lining. When you have your period, this uterine lining tissue also begins to bleed and this causes a lot of pain as your abdomen will get irritated from the blood (your uterus was meant to have blood in it but not your abdomen). Eventually your abdomen will absorb the blood but it can be quite painful while it is doing so.

Since you say that the pain comes at the start of your period, I wonder if you don't suffer from endometriosis. You may also have horrible cramps at the start of your period and this sometimes occurs as well. Even if you have never had this, you are only 19 years of age and your body is still adjusting its hormone levels.

Have you tried ibuprofen such as Advil or Motrin for the pain ? This Cox 1 inhibitors attack the prostaglandins in your blood that cause this type of pain and they are quite effective. Tylenol is not the same thing and works differently so it may not curb the pain as well. A good heating pad may also help or a hot bath as this relaxes the muscles in that area and it also improves circulation.

I hope this helps you a little. I hope you find out what is causing the pain. Good luck.

Estria

alliecat12 03-28-2009 12:03 PM

I am allergic to Ibprofen and aspirin, so I am not able to take either. As for painkillers, my doctor gave me darvocet to take at the start of the pain, I tried this for the past time that it happened in Feb. 2009, however, it did NOT work whatsoever and the pain seemed to last longer and hurt worse. I had to be rushed from my dorm to the ER and they gave me a ultrasound where they found no more cysts. I couldn't poossibly make it to a hot bath or a heating pad while I'm in this sort of pain, because it paralyzes me making it so I cannot talk or walk (no exaggeration). The pain is definitely not anywhere near cramps, as I know what this feels like. I just hope there is someway to PREVENT it from ever happening in the first place! Thank you so much for the advice tho. I will talk to my doctor about endometriosis although eh already brought it up. thanks and God bless!
-Allie
[QUOTE=estria;3936529]Allie,

You ovulate every single month ! Your ovaries begin growing cysts at the start of your period and about 14 days later the most dominant cyst ruptures and releases an egg into your fallopian tube. The remaining cysts then regress back into your ovaries and the process begins again at the start of your next period. It is possible that you are sometimes growing larger than normal ovarian follicles (or cysts) and that these are causing a problem but you may also have pain from something else.

For example, endometriosis occurs when some tissue from the inside of your uterus begins to grow outside of your uterus, like for example on an ovary or on your colon or the wall of your abdominal lining. When you have your period, this uterine lining tissue also begins to bleed and this causes a lot of pain as your abdomen will get irritated from the blood (your uterus was meant to have blood in it but not your abdomen). Eventually your abdomen will absorb the blood but it can be quite painful while it is doing so.

Since you say that the pain comes at the start of your period, I wonder if you don't suffer from endometriosis. You may also have horrible cramps at the start of your period and this sometimes occurs as well. Even if you have never had this, you are only 19 years of age and your body is still adjusting its hormone levels.

Have you tried ibuprofen such as Advil or Motrin for the pain ? This Cox 1 inhibitors attack the prostaglandins in your blood that cause this type of pain and they are quite effective. Tylenol is not the same thing and works differently so it may not curb the pain as well. A good heating pad may also help or a hot bath as this relaxes the muscles in that area and it also improves circulation.

I hope this helps you a little. I hope you find out what is causing the pain. Good luck.

Estria[/QUOTE]

Naminne 09-01-2009 11:55 PM

Allie:

I have been looking all over the internet for a few hours now and I believe your situation is the most similar to mine.

I am also a 19 year old female and it has happened 3 times to me now. Probably around every 4 months like you said. My abdomen suddenly contracts. Initially it feels like a regular menstrual pain but it gets to the point where I cannot stand. I lock myself in the bathroom and get into weird positions on the floor, hoping that it will lessen the pain. Eventually I give up and stay in one position, I don't want to speak to anyone or see anyone. Sometimes I feel a little bit like I'm going to cough up blood or stomach acid, it's not quite a nauseous feeling, just a little liquid coming up my throat. The pain is so strong and I don't know what else to say other than its a cramping/contracting/spasming feeling. Not really sharp like I've read in other posts. I also notice an ache around my vagina/anus area. Once again it's NOT a menstrual pain, it's far worse. I dread it.

There are so many different things it could be so I'm not really sure what to do other than see a doctor. However the last thing I could use is a million expensive procedures.

I really really hope you get back to me with how your situation is progressing and best wishes to you.

alliecat12 09-02-2009 10:18 AM

WOW! How you have described the pain is EXACTLY how mine feels. I also feel like i could be spitting out blood when i am having the pain too, and it comes in waves feeling like contractions, but it is definitely not menstrual pain, like you said. I remember rolling around on the floor as well trying to find a comfortable position and not being able to speak. I have had it every four months and was able to tell when I would have it for about a year, until i decided to tell my doctor about it. I last had the pain in February and was suppose to have it again in June-but for the first time it did not come. My family doctor expects me to have interstitial cystitis, which is a condition involving your bladder where it sometimes goes into spasms near the menstrual cycle. He gave me medicine for it and I believe it has cured me=] Thank god!
tell your doctor about interstitial cystits
The medicine i take is called elmiron!
hope this helps!

Naminne 09-06-2009 11:00 PM

Thanks for responding! Glad to hear you are pain free. I will definitely have to mention that to my doctor when I go, I am not due to have the pain for a few months so I'll most likely be able to try that out. How long have you been without it now?

Just started my period today, these cramps are nothing! haha

alliecat12 09-07-2009 08:48 AM

I have been on it for for about 6 months now!! glad to hear! =]