It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

pinkpixies HB User
Can't maintain vaginal ph balance?

For the past year or so, I have had near constant vaginal irritation. I've had dozens of cultures taken over this time and the only time I have had infections was in May of 2008 after taking antibiotics I developed a bacterial infection and then the Flagyl gave me a yeast infection. But other than that the cultures have all came back normal. My ob/gyn doesn't know the cause. She thinks it is just that my ph balance is getting thrown off and causing the burning and pain. She suggested I use that otc RePHresh gel so I tried that for 4 months or so and it helped some but then it stopped working completely. So she gave me this prescription Trimo-San Vaginal Jelly stuff and that isn't working either. Could there be something that is causing my ph balance to mess up or something? It hurts so bad.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
(female)

Mauzieblue HB User
Re: Can't maintain vaginal ph balance?

Have you tried eating yogurt? It has helped me before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

pinkpixies HB User

Yes, I eat yogurt everyday. Makes no difference at all.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Dear Pink, so sorry that you are feeling so bad. It can be so painful. I am going through that too right now. I had this a few years back and it took me months to get back to normal. I got an bacterial infection on my cervix and then I was on antibiotics, that would trigger a yeast infection. I was on so many creams and pain pills, finally the doctor said enough! And that I had to fight this on my own. He suggested eating yogurt, which I do and even inserting plain yogurt in there. Yuck! I fought that one for weeks. I was ok for a few years for the most part.

Now a few years have gone by and I am going through perimenopause and things seem to be going off kilter a bit. I think I got a yeast infection from leaving a tampon in too long. The pain and buring was so bad. The doctor diagonosed me with a yeast infection. I have just treated it but it doesn't seem like it is completely gone. I used the Monistat because I didn't want to try the new Diflucan pill yet. The cream burns my vagina too but does clear it up. But now my period cames and I stay get twinges of pain up in there. Could be cramps but it feels like the pain I had with the infection. Man I hate this.

What do you do for it? Do you just take Tylenol? Do you have any suggestions? This chemistry thing is crazy! Hang in there. Here to talk anytime!

Old 04-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
(female)

jeanie80 HB User

I totally sympathize with you. I also have had a chronic yeast infection for the past year. It started with a combination of a yeast infection and BV. The yeast infection cleared up initially, but then after two different kinds of antibiotics for the BV, it returned and has been plaguing me, especially this time of year, no matter the time of month. I originally tried the OTC stuff, but that didn't work very well for me, so I started using Diflucan, but the buggers only seem to stay down for a few weeks if I take two pills with my period and they still come back. I haven't tried the gels or jelly, but Aquapour seems to work well for the external irritation and I have found some relief douching with yogurt at night (using a Monistat-type applicator works great), and a cool compress helps as well. Both are a pain in the hoo-ha where my social life is concerned, but they've reduced the unbearable symptoms to more of a mild irritation. I've heard that cinnamon in your diet helps (I know it kills yeast in baking), so I'm going to start consuming that like crazy. I have no idea if you can apply it directly since it also kills bacteria, which might not be a good idea; I've tried Googling that with no result.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
(female)

Zelda 44 HB User

Get some litmus paper so you can try different maintenance methods and see where the Ph goes. After sex you will see it go up because semen carries a Ph of 9 and that usually triggers yours to go up.

You will need a long term maintenance program which you can discuss with your doctor.

If you have BV then you must be realistic with the results of different methods.Some will be good (for a while) some will be horrible (for a while) but it is really about a long term program to keep the infection contained.

Closed Thread