It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Does it take more than one treatment to cure yeast infection?

Hello all, I just had a yeast infection 2 weeks ago. I treated it for a week with Monistat. I thought I had taken care of it. My period started and now it is ending and I am having the same symptoms returning. I have pain and soreness up in the cervix area, slight discharge..but it's hard to tell. But it is just how I felt when I came down with the yeast infection. I was seen by a doctor and tested for everything a couple weeks ago. The only thing positive was yeast. So Should I re treat this again? Get seen again. I have vein surgery on Friday so I am concerned that I am dealing with this.
Thanks for any replies!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Does it take more than one treatment to cure yeast infection?

Ah, recurring yeast. Happens to a lot of women, and right after the period is a "popular" time for it to come back. All the moisture from the blood, those awful plastic pads sealing it in...

You might indeed need to treat again. Next time you have your period, be sure to get some products which are absorbent and breathable (like those thick cotton pads), and change frequently. It might not prevent the infection from coming back, but it could help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Thanks for responding Jane. Ya, I thought wow I have this thing cured then my period came and a few days of that I hadn't noticed it yet. Then as period was ending wham! All the bad symptoms back. You are right! I think the yeast loves to grow in the warm moist invironment. yuck! So here I go with another round of treatment. I will try to wear really breathable things. One other bad thing for me is that I have vericose vein surgery tomorrow and I will have to wear compression stockings for 2 weeks. UGH! Not good while trying to cure a yeast infection. lol

Last edited by TEdds83; 04-09-2009 at 09:53 AM.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:17 AM   #4
(female)

jeanie80 HB User

Ah, yes, that's how it started for me. A few days before my period, the symptoms began, then receded, and then returned afterward with a vengence. It was horrible. I'd never had a YI before, even though I was always hot and sweaty in Arizona; apparently, there are very few yeast there but a bunch of them in the soil in Southern California. So all I needed was one batch to take up residence and I became one happening yeast hang-out.

Anyway, the OTC seemed to work, but then a month later there I was again and then the OTCs didn't work worth a damn. I tried both types of medication. I had to go prescription. Diflucan (150mg) works all right for me, 2 pills per period, and I recommend, as soon as your period is over with, douche with probiotic yogurt at night (and eat it regularly); adding cinnamon to your diet is also supposed to help. Try injecting yougurt every night for a week (I use a Monistat applicator), then the next week do every other day, and so on (my GYN's advice). The following month, cut back sooner until you're just down to the one week with the occational spot check should symptoms crop up before your next period.

Also, be sure to wash down there twice a day, and if you have external irritation, I've found that Aquapour works well, but not too much or too often, or you might clog your sweat glands. And keep things dry as much as possible. Cotten panties are a must, but going commando is even better, especially at night. Use only non-bleached pads and tampons; personally, I try to use tampons at night, even if it means getting up at some crazy hour to change it, or nothing at all if I'm toward the end of my period; I don't really know if that makes a difference, but I feel cleaner, anyway.

Good luck.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Jeanie for the extra tips. Those will be very helpful! I do hope it clears up with this round, but if not at least there are some other options now to try. Thanks so much!

Closed Thread