It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

EllieFrog HB User
Question Swollen Lymph Nodes?

I hope that this is the right place to post this since it is a female pelvic related issue.

Basically, the other day my boyfriend and I were having intercourse, and I had a sudden urge to urinate (which isn't uncommon for me due to certain medications). After going to the bathroom my urinary tract felt really, really painful, basically like I got poked in the area with a small, sharp object. It hurt for a couple of minutes and than the pain went away. The next few times I went to urinate it hurt somewhat but the pain eventually went away.
The next day (yesterday) the same thing happened, I couldn't urinate without feeling slight pain but it went away almost completely. Than later that day I started feeling weak, muscle pain, and basically the feeling you'd get right before you get sick with a fever. I checked my temperature because I knew that it was elevated, and sure enough it was 99.6, which isn't too high. I took an Aleve and went to bed.

This morning I woke up feeling fine, checked my temperature again and it's back to normal (98.3)... and thankfully it doesn't hurt to pee anymore.
Well, later in the day while I was changing I noticed a slight bump in the pubic region, on both sides... it's in the area where the leg meets the pubic bone I suppose. I did a bit of research on lymph nodes and realized that there are quite a few of them in the pelvic region. I looked it up and came put with a diagram that labels the area as "superficial inagural nodes." I assume that they're some type of lymph nodes... and I noticed that the one on the left side is definitely bigger than the right.
It's kind of a slightly rubbery bump that feels slightly uncomfortable if I press it and I can feel it when I walk (probably because I'm well aware of the problem and it's bothering me).

Does anyone know what this could possibly be? What caused it? Is it a lymph node, and if so when should I expect it to get better? I know that sometimes they swell due to infection and it appears that I did have a slight infection due to an elevated body temperature, but that only lasted a few hours.

P.S. I did the symptom checker and came up with a whole list of results which aren't any help. Also, I know that it is not a STI (my bf and I are very faithful to each other so I am not worried about that. And finally, I don't have health insurance so I can't exactly afford to see a doctor right now... so please don't suggest that. I just need some suggestions as to what this could possibly be and how long I should expect the swelling to persist (assuming that it is a swollen lymph node).
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
(female)

cardani HB User
Re: Swollen Lymph Nodes?

It could just be a bladder infection, in that case drink lots of cranberry juice. It could maybe be a kidney infection, I am not sure if you had any pain in your lower back area though, and I found that the pain was worse at night, and it was associated with chills, rigors (shaking), fever, etc, mostly at night. If you have any blood in your urine, or notice a significant difference in your urine output you should really see a doctor. The lymph glands can sometimes stay enlarged for a little while after an infection. In the case that you have something like PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) (also its not ALWAYS STD's that cause infections of your vagina/reproductive organs) you would need to go to the doctor and be treated, as it could cause infertility if untreated. Sorry for suggesting the doctor. If your fever doesn't return, and the symptoms are all gone except the lymph node then you should probably be fine and your immune system probably cleared out whatever was causing the infection of your urinary tract. After sex you should try to urinate to minimize your risk of a UTI. As long as that lymph node swelling goes away or down in a couple weeks there is nothing to really worry about. A doctor could only tell you for sure though, I am just basing this on personal experience

Old 04-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

EllieFrog HB User
Re: Swollen Lymph Nodes?

Thank you for your response. It helps a lot
I think it was a very mild bladder infection since I felt fine the next day. I didn't have any lower back pain so I knew it wasn't a kidney issue (that crossed my mind as well).
I am no longer experiencing any discomfort and there is no blood or pain when I urinate so I assume that whatever it was went away. The swelling is also lessened but I can definitely still feel the swollen lymp node in the left side. I know that they can stay swollen for a long period of time (I had one swollen in my neck for over a year due to a couple of tonsil infections that I treated with antibiotics. And the sweling just recently started to finally, gradually go away.)
I am not experiencing any other symptoms so I will assume that it will be okay in the next couple of weeks.
Thanks again!

Closed Thread