It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Nauseous/Dizzy every morning!

Every single morning I feel so dizzy (like I'm drunk or at least hungover) and out of it, sometimes have a headache, and often feel sick to my stomach. This has been going on for at least the past year. I've been dizzy in the mornings for longer, but it gets better and worse at times. The nausea also comes and goes, which is why I don't get too concerned about it, but this month it's gotten worse!

I am not pregnant and feel a bit better later on in the day. I usually sneeze a lot in the mornings too. I joke around that I'm just allergic to mornings, but I'd like to really know what can cause this. My coworker said she is allergic to dust, so sneezing in the morning can mean that your bed has a lot of dust mites in it. Yuck! I do plan on buying a new mattress in the near future, so I hope this helps.

I'm not so sure about the nausea. Can this be caused simply from a lack of sleep? I don't actually vomit, but I feel close to it and feel like the room is spinning. Sometimes I fall into the wall because I don't have much balance at first. I don't get 8 hours of sleep per night and get about 6, but I wouldn't think this difference would make me feel THAT bad. I also try to sleep in on the weekends to get some extra sleep. I feel a million times better if I sleep in. I can stay up late and sleep in and GET NO EXTRA SLEEP and feel okay. If I go to bed early and get up early and get 8 full hours of sleep, I still feel dizzy/nauseous! I don't understand.

I usually drink some coffee later on when I get to work, which helps, but if I happen to still feel nauseous, the coffee will bother me more.

I'd appreciate any ideas! If I can't figure it out, I will have to visit the doctor. I have been tested for anemia (I don't have it) and the only medication I take is birth control pills, but I've taken them for about 7 years and never switched pills. I have a pretty healthy diet and work out vigorously 5 times a week. By healthy diet, I mean that I track my calories and food groups online and limit my processed foods and try to eat very balanced meals.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Nauseous/Dizzy every morning!

dizziness when you first get up is often related to low blood pressure. The good news is that people with low BP live very long lives, it is not harmful. However, you can take someting to raise it, there are pillls for this condition. my daughter had it at age 11, The doctor told us to give her coffee in the mornngs, and this helped a lot. But that was over 20 years ago.The dizziness can cause trhe feeling of nausea.

Maybe you should get a basic check up!

Love,

Martha

Old 05-22-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Thanks for your reply, Martha! I have recently had my blood pressure checked and check it monthly for getting extra points for a fitness program at work I participate in (I earn free gift cards after I get a specific amount of points). When I check my blood pressure, it's normal. Same with every doctor's visit. A couple of times machines have told me it's "slightly elevated" with the top number at 120, but I believe it's usually because I walked a few blocks to get there.

Do you think it's possible to have a low blood pressure only in the morning? I am unfortunately an anxious person, so I know my blood pressure gets higher during the day from my anxiety. I just want to be able to wake up one day and feel refreshed. Oddly enough, the only days I wake up well-refreshed is after a night of drinking. I end up wide awake more than I would on a typical day. It SHOULD be the opposite, but for some reason it just works out that way for me.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

If it only happens when you change from lying flat to standing up, it could be an extremely low BP only when you make that sudden change. Have you tried getting up slowly ... first roll over, then up on your elbows, then sit, and finally stand?

There are also BP monitors that do a 24 hour measurement (you have to wear it all that time) and it is then evaluated by the doctor. My niece has a conditon in which she faints easily. It began at age 16 and is controlled by medication. I can't think of the name of the disorder, but it has to do with blood circulation to the brain. Nausea does not seem to be a part of it though. I'll try to find out the name of it.

I hope you find a doctor who takes you seriously and gets to the bottom of it.

Good luck

Martha

Old 05-24-2009, 04:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I remembered the term used for my niece's conditon. It is POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) which caused her to faint and feel dizzy whenever she changed positions ..getting up, lying down etc. She has it under control through a variety of medications. Perhaps you could look it up and see how much this meshes with your symptoms - you may have something entirely different. Hope you feel better soon!

Martha

Old 05-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I just thought I would throw one more thought out there for you to consider. I don't know your age...but if you are near perimenopause you could be having hormonal changes. I am 44 and was having mornings just like yours for a couple of years. I finally had my hormones tested and found I was low on testosterone and progesterone. I took a saliva test, the test came back showing my hormones were at their lowest in the morning. I woke up dizzy and shaky and I could barely get out of bed. It was horrible. But I have been on bioidentical hormone creams and am really starting to feel great. I just wanted to suggest that to you. But you may not be close to this age and it could very well be something else.

I also have bad allergies and acid reflux and those things have caused me dizziness and nausea too. So you may want to explore that as well.

Good luck! Hang in there!

Old 05-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi there! I'm a young woman in her early 20's, so not pre-menopausal yet. I do get allergies so that can definitely be part of it. In fact, last year I had some sinus issues that made me feel very dizzy. I wonder if part of it is still there, minus the sinus pain. I took sinus medication and use a netti-pot and eventually it stopped after a few months. It was not a sinus infection though and just seems to be sinus allergies.

POTS.. it does look like I have some of those symptoms. I definitely get the more neurological symptoms like confusion and forgetting things. I also get cold easily, which I noticed on there. Then of course I get all the typical dizzy symptoms. The only item I noticed that I DON'T get is exercise intolerance. I actually exercise very vigorously and run to the point where I am pouring with sweat. I DO get dizzy after a tough run, but I'd imagine that's just because I'm challenging my body. I am able to work out just fine though. Still, it could be a possibility! I will add it to my list of items to ask my doctor about whenever I get to go for a visit.

My mom has mentioned that maybe I have food intolerances. I know some people get fatigue and feel faint from gluten products. I know it's so difficult to eat completely gluten-free, but maybe I should keep a watch on that. I have a very sensitive stomach and can't eat a long list of foods unless I want to feel terrible. I don't eat carb-heavy at all because I feel more energetic and less bloated if I eat lighter meals rich in protein, fruits, and veggies with only a little bit of carbs.

The one thing I've found to make me feel 100% better is caffeine.. I just don't want to get hooked on it! If I drink a sugar-free energy drink, I feel great, but then it just wears off later and I feel the same again (I don't crash though). I wish there was something else that could do this for me.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, so far this week, no nausea!! I am crossing my fingers that it stays this way. I am tired and a little dizzy from less sleep than I would prefer, BUT I noticed that I have a ton of pressure in my check area below my eyes. This is how it started when my sinuses really bothered me. I felt like my head was a bowling ball rolling around! Perhaps this is making me feel dizzy again, with my sinuses acting up. I am going to take some sinus medication and see if that helps. I know I get a little dizzy from the low blood sugar anyway, but the sinuses would make it much, much worse! I hope this is what it is so I can improve

Old 05-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #9
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

You aren't smoking, around someone who smokes in the morning or have an apartment smoke might be entering in by chance?

Another thing you might check is your blood sugar in the morning.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:01 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nope, definitely not a smoker and never will even try it! I hate the scent of cigarette smoke and it gives me a headache. I don't live with any smokers or have any nearby. The only time I'm around smokers is if I am out at a bar or something (and I don't go to places like thise more than a couple times a month).

I probably SHOULD try checking my blood first thing in the AM. I feel awful if I get a blood drawn (even just a small vial) and haven't had anything to eat, so I'll have to try to get this done on a holiday or weekend, on a day when I don't have work (also, so someone else can drive me home). My fiance and I recently bought a kit to check blood glucose at home but it did NOT work well at all and we ended up wasting a bunch of the test strips and it not working (and getting way too many finger *****s!). I'll probably pass on trying to buy another at-home kit and just go get it done at the doctor's office, and do another anemia check to see if anything has changed.

Closed Thread