It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
(female)

kittiekat043 HB User
When is too much bleeding?

When is too much bleeding during your menstrual cycle? Can I do anything to slow it down? What could be the causes?

Old 05-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: When is too much bleeding?

When a woman is having too heavy periods, often the doctor will put her on a birth control pill. This regulates the cycles so it doesn't come too often, and the blood loss is also much less. If you are trying to conceive that would not be the answer. Have a talk with your gynecologist; they deal with such problems every day. Good luck!

martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
(female)

wendyw HB User

kittie there are many causes to heavy bleeding. Stress, cysts, endometriosis. What women consider varies a lot, as well. I had a family practitioner tell me that passing blood clots so much meant I had a 'strong uterus'. Then yrs later, I heard clots is not good! and is a sign of definitively 'heavy bleeding'.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Usually "heavy bleeding" would be considered soaking through a pad or tampon every 2 hours or less. The average amount of blood for a day during your period is 2 tablespoons. This sounded LESS than I would expect and I get a pretty light flow, but I have heard that amount from several sources. Maybe it just seems like there is more than there really is.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
(female)

trychocolate HB User

Martha H is right about the pill controlling the heavy flow. It usually works but the side effects can be challenging, but still worth a try. Some of my friends have had success with natural herbal products. Not me at the time.

I remember using a heavy duty tampon, a heavy duty pad, and not lasting the 20 minute drive to work! It seemed so outrageous and lasted for almost 15 years (menopause=gone). So if you have clotting problems, you probably have fibroids, and this can cause heavy bleeding.

I am sorry you are having this problem. I know how frustrating it is. See that gyn. for some options.

choc

Old 05-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

I have a heavy period problem. I go through super plus tampons sooner than every 2 hours. I am also on iron most of the time because of anemia.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
(female)

wendyw HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetoreclaim View Post
I have a heavy period problem. I go through super plus tampons sooner than every 2 hours. I am also on iron most of the time because of anemia.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
(female)

wendyw HB User

I went through heavy overnight pads in less than an hour at times, and the doctor said I was not anemic! Incredible.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyw View Post
I went through heavy overnight pads in less than an hour at times, and the doctor said I was not anemic! Incredible.
Wow! Suprising for sure.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
(female)

wendyw HB User

Quote:
Wow! Suprising for sure.
Yep. Of course that was the last time I was tested for anemia.. and I thought for sure that I was. We Germans must be really tough. Didn't take any novacine for a tooth filling, either, but I cannot take the pain of pelvic exam (why??) I felt totally relaxed! I think it was because they nurse in there holding my hand was way too dramatic.. I didn't need her there, wasn't in pain yet, and her there made my brain tense up, anticipating pain!

Old 05-31-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
(female)

wendyw HB User

Quote:
..but I took iron pills throughout it. Perhaps that is why no anemia showed.

Closed Thread