It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
(female)

DesperatePerson HB User
Could this be considered a "normal" period?

This has been happening, I think, since January or February. I've been experiencing spotting for 4-5 days before my period starts. Then, my period will last for 8-10 days (or 7 days with a few days of spotting). So I'll only have one full week in between each period (before the time the spotting begins again).

I had a normal pap smear in March. STD tests negative. Last week, I had a culture done. My doc said she saw a lot of white blood cells and a small amount of yeast, but that she thought I had cervicitis. I've been on antibiotics for 3 days now. Also, from June-Sep 08 I was on yeast infection meds repeatedly.

Is this my cycle sort of just naturally changing? Or could it be because of cervicitis? Or yeast infection? I am confused!

Old 05-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
(female)

peace4health HB Userpeace4health HB Userpeace4health HB User
Re: Could this be considered a "normal" period?

I think the spotting could be caused by endometrial hyperplasia (thickened endometrial lining of the uterus). An ultrasound exam may reveal it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
(female)

Just Tell Me HB UserJust Tell Me HB UserJust Tell Me HB UserJust Tell Me HB User

It could be a variety of things, endometriosis, endometrial hyperplasia, even fibroids can cause lenghty menstruation and bleeding in between periods. Since you've seen your Dr and those haven't been mentioned, it could be either a hormal imbalance from your ovaries, thyroid, or pituitary gland or you very well could have missed an ovulation. That's happened to me twice and it takes a few months to get the cycle regulated again. My 1st experience occurred around 37 yrs old, the 2nd at 43 yrs old. If you are not on oral contraceptives and you don't ovulate your reproductive hormonal cycle gets disrupted. Estrogen, FSH and progesterone don't rise and decline as they are supposed to which causes the uterine lining to both build up and shed at the wrong times You can also more easily get pregnant, especial ectopiccly, when your cycle is out of whack. I would ask my Dr to run hormone tests and panels to at least rule out any endocrine abnormalities.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
(female)

DesperatePerson HB User

Thanks, guys. I should also mention that I'm in my early-20's.

Everytime I go to the doc, I seem to end up on the same meds, and they seem to never help. So it's nice to know what else is out there. Thanks again.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
(female)

blackmoon HB User

Are you on any type of birth control? I've had a couple types of the pill do this to me..

Old 05-31-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
(female)

DesperatePerson HB User

No, I'm not on birth control.

I finished the antibiotics on Thurs (my doc also had me take 2 diflucan). Also my period started on Wed., with spotting starting the Sat. before that. Now I'm experiencing thick brown discharge with an odor. Hopefully just old blood?

Closed Thread