It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
(female)

iicameasarat HB User
swollen areola

Hi..I've tried to do research on the internet and I've found very little information. The area around my nipples, the areola, has swelled greatly seemingly overnight. I woke up about three days ago to find it almost three times it's normal size, and on my left breast it has assumed an eclipse shape, like saturn's rings, but diagonal to my nipple. It overwhelms the breast entirely and has a few unusual bumps, and the color has changed from a rosy shade to a deep plum- deeper than a bruise. I can't figure out if this is something serious, like breast cancer, or what. I'm seventeen years old and very uncomfortable talking to my mother about it. Please help me if you can...Thanks.

Last edited by iicameasarat; 06-05-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
(female)

Just Tell Me HB UserJust Tell Me HB UserJust Tell Me HB UserJust Tell Me HB User
Re: swollen areola

You really need to have it seen before next week and no, I don't think it's a symptom of early pregnancy. You've given us good details regarding it's appearance but what about pain? Discharge/drainage from the swelling or from the nipple? Fever? Is the swelling entirely enclosed/encapsulated or is there any opening in the swelling? This could be anything and you need to find the courage to speak to your mother about it. A Dr's office would probubly get you in to be seen the same day. Clinical services at Planned Parenthood arn't normally staffed by Dr's but Physican assistants who will more than likely say you need to see a Dr anyway which will only add time. I don't want to scare you but there is a form of breast cancer that I've only recently became aware of and it's called "inflamitory" breast cancer which causes similar symptoms and seems to affect younger women. This could be serious or minor swelling of a milk duct or cyst so do the responsible thing and talk to your mother so she can get you to the Dr quickly for a definitive diagnosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
(female)

iicameasarat HB User

I haven't noticed any pain or unusual discharge. It's a little tender to be touched. I began feeling swelling in my tonsils on Sunday, and the inflammation in my breasts appeared on Tuesday. Right now I'm on steroids and antibiotics for strep throat and tonsilitis but the swelling appeared at its worst before the start of my medication (which was yesterday), though it did not appear until after the start of my swollen tonsils - could there be any connection? The fact that there is little pain and no discharge makes me doubt its severity as far as the cancer you described goes, and no breast cancer runs in my family. Tumors resulting in cancer, do, however. I've had a fever but this could be a result of the aforementioned strep throat/tonsilitis. Thank you so much for all your great information, I am going to wait until tomorrow afternoon to mention it to my mother and will try to collect as much additional information from you, other responders and the internet, as I can. Thank you thank you. I eagerly await your reply.

Last edited by iicameasarat; 06-05-2009 at 03:45 PM.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
(female)

iicameasarat HB User

An extra note - I also have swollen lymph nodes in my neck, which my ENT noted when checking out my tonsils. It's very confusing because I have noticed that it is a symptom of both inflammatory breast cancer and also strep throat/tonsilitis. I don't know how to check my lymph nodes in my arm pits so I suppose I will have to research further. Thanks!

Old 06-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
(female)

iicameasarat HB User

Okay I am reporting pain my right breast now, like a sore kind of aching. There is some in my left but not as prominent as in my right, which is strange because my left areola is far more enlarged than the right. I'm getting worried....

Old 06-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

Time to have a chat with Mom and impress upon her that you wish to see a doctor today. Do you have a primary care physcian or a family medical doctor. You certainly should be able to get an emergency appointment for today.
Please keep us informed of the result of your appointment.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
(female)

Just Tell Me HB UserJust Tell Me HB UserJust Tell Me HB UserJust Tell Me HB User

It does apprear to be worsening and spreading, prompt medical attention is in order. Because you are already on antibiotics for another infection,now presenting with what appears to be a seperate inflamation with involvement of your nearby lymph nodes, you really shouldn't delay. Now I'm concerned that this could be a MRSA infection which will require incision and drainage of the swelling as well as IV antibiotics. Don't wait! I think you should go to the nearest E-R for evaulation.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
(female)

iicameasarat HB User

I told my mom today, she said she wished I had told her earlier. I didn't realize it would be so easy. I couldn't get a doctor's appt for today for some reason, so I'm supposed to call again tomorrow but chances are they can't see me until Monday. My mom is a little opposed to going to the ER which I can understand because of the cost, etc and our insurance is awful. I hope Monday will be sufficient for my problem. The color is not as deep as it was, but they're very dynamic. This morning they looked a lot better and now they look the same as yesterday, except the color is lighter and in some places the areola almost looks faded, like it's disappearing from where it once was and is changing shape...Perhaps it's just temperature/time of day, etc. But the texture around my nipple is definitely different, and very rough. There is also a large vein that continually makes itself known beneath the nipple on my left breast, and a soft bump above my nipple on my right breast. It seems odd that I would encounter a problem with both breasts simultaneously. I'm a bit nervous but at the same time I wonder if I am not blowing some pubescent thing out of proportion. Perhaps it will be gone tomorrow and that's why it's fading. I want to thank you guys though for being so supportive and responsive. It's important to me to know that someone is concerned for me as well.

Last edited by iicameasarat; 06-05-2009 at 03:45 PM.

Closed Thread